• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Thank you so much CP--A request for your thoughts

Prayers sent for you and your family. It makes me realize how important it is to spend time with loved family and friends; especially those who are older.

Prayers sent to you and you uncle.

Family comes first -- sounds like your uncle helped instill that in you. 90 good years is a lot to be thankful for.

My thoughts are with you.

Anthem - I have a 96 year old grandfather who is in relatively good health. He falls down every so often and that sends half of the family into hysterics. I prefer to dwell on the positives. I am 37 years old and I continue to have a relationship with my grandfather. Its a rare and special thing to have an elder live to a ripe old age and I believe that it is my duty to stay positive and enjoy his love and his company for as long as we are able.

Good luck to you and your family.

Sorry Matthew. It's always tough to work through, I have lost a lot of family in the last few years. It seems like only after I lost mine, did I realize the gravity of the situation. At least in this case you had a lot of time to spend with him.

I would really like to take this moment to thank CP for all the support and prayers for my late Uncle John Dorsey. I Found out today that he has left us.

He passed yesterday in Hospice care, at the age of 92 (I miss posted that in the intro). In his youth he worked the family farm until at the age of 18 when he enlisted in the army and was stationed, of all places, in Chicago. Some of his proudest days he spent as a assistant to a a higher ranking officer who was in charge of supply chains.

After the war he returned home to Northern Michigan where our family, the first of three settlers on Glen Lake, still maintained the farm. he helped produce diary products like butter and whipped cream for the local resorts. He also begun to run a laundry service for those same resorts right there on the farm and also worked as an electrician and contractor on local homes.

Years later he envisioned this beautiful piece of land as something more then a farm. He opened the land to campers and the upsurge of RV trailers that came in the 50's and 60's. By installing water and sewage systems he laid the foundation for the resort which was passed to my parents, "The Dorsey's on Glen Lake". Now a beautiful park with modular homes and owners who take a lot of pride in their "summer cottages" this park provides a place for working people to own a piece of land where lots sell for much more then most of us can afford. After the death of my great grandmother, he turned the two story farmhouse into two separate full apartments which are still being rented by resorters today. The house is over 150 years old.

After settling in at the farm he married my great aunt Alberta. They were married for 67 years. He is survived by her, now at 98 years of age.

My grandfather Dorsey, 89, still lives in the next piece of land over. He and my grandmother Velma are retired from the USPS. They also maintain cottages on the lake, and in one of those cottages (gifted to us) I spent my summers as a youth.

John gave me my first job in that park. He taught me to mow lawns, service the trailers, work on small engines and of course clean some bathrooms and gather a lot of garbage. He was a mentor to me and to his last days wanted to see me take over that land from my parents and one day continue to run the family buisness. John was a plump short man who laughed a lot. With his large glasses he could not be missed with his huge blue eyes.

Forgive my long winded theme, but if anything it helps to write it out.

It was time for a good man to go, and he went. There is nothing wrong with crying, but today I am not doing that. I am sitting here typing this as a memory to him and smoking my favorite DC Maximus #1, it is just exactly what he would want me to do. His last wish was this wish, to go in peace. He died in his sleep, in peace with his loved ones around him. Today I am a thankful man for knowing him, and a wealthy man for having him touch my life.

My best wishes and condolences go out to you and your family, Matt.

Please accept my sympathy and my prayers.

Sorry for your loss. It sounds like he lived a long and full life but it's never easy to lose a loved one. We'll be thinking of you.