• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The $65,000 dog!

:Monty:

These things are amazing but certainly come at a price. Plaxico should have brought his dog to that club instead of a gun.

http://www.protectiondogs.com/protection_dog_videos.shtml

A lot of celebrities do purchase these, and I'd have to say, they are a smart investment. A trained protection dog, like a body guard, maybe be killed but they cannot be bribed. They will never sell your used underwear on eBay or narc on you to the National Enquirer. ;)

I'd rather have one of these . . . and the change. :laugh:

NeapolitanMastiff2_400w.jpg

Ancient Roman war dogs, and more recently, the preferred guard dog of the Mafia. One of my favorite authors, Andrew Vachss, runs a rescue network for the breed.

~Boar

My pit bull looks like he'd make a decent protection dog, but he'd rather lick an attacker than bite them...

I'd rather have one of these . . . and the change. :laugh:

NeapolitanMastiff2_400w.jpg

Ancient Roman war dogs, and more recently, the preferred guard dog of the Mafia. One of my favorite authors, Andrew Vachss, runs a rescue network for the breed.

~Boar
Awesome dog!! I think today's Roman War dogs are decendents of the ancient Roman Molossus, which is now extinct, but were the foundation for the modern day Cane Corso, Mastif, St. Bernard, and many others. The debate about whether or not these, or any other dogs, were actually used in warfare is a heated topic to this day. From what I've read, most of the evidence suggests that they were used more as gladiatorial entertainment in the Colloseum and used for tracking/hunting wild game than in actual warfare. Regardless, they are well known for their strong sense of territory and fierce nature. Beautiful breed that would annihilate any threat to its master.

Bryce

Personally, IMO, the greatest thing you can do to have a dog for protection, is have is sleep in your home, in your bedroom. I know and understand that many folks have "outside dogs", however I think that a dog will defend it's people and territory more effectively if they are in your home with their family and kids. Just sayin'. :) And yeah, Mastiffs rock. :D

You know my families had dogs ever since I was very young. This thread has made me wonder about some of the dogs we have had and why they were such good dogs for our family.

On the one hand two of the very best dogs we ever had in terms of family protection were two dogs we rescued from known bad situations. One a husky and one a german shepherd. The shepherd just fit in from the start. Always great and patient with us kids yet very protective of us and always very watchful. The husky the same but took a little time at first to settle in and never was completely trusting of dad or any other adult male. Looking back now though its hard not to think that they both appreciated in some dog way there new home and new family.

On the other had though there was a point in time when I ended up with two german shepherds at the same time from different sources. I raised them both from pups in the same great home and the two could not have been more different. Both very sharp and easy to train, but one was very protective and alert while the other just seemed to have no idea there was anything at all in the world to need protection from.

Just a matter of the dogs personality I guess.