• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The argument for #2

kann

One Leg Of Fury.
Well, we know where at least one member here unequivocally stands in this debate, however, why or why shouldn't Alabama / Oklahoma State play LSU for the National Championship? We do not have a playoff system, so throwing those hypotheticals out there are kind of pointless.

Please note that "OK, Alabama, go sit down. Let's let Timmy have a turn to play, now!" is not a valid answer.

I admit I have an SEC bias, though for me it comes down to not necessarily quality of wins (since both teams were blowing out opponents), but quality of loss. The #1 team, LSU, had the #2 team, Alabama, hang tight with them in a knock-down, drag-out, low scoring game where the #2 team prevailed by a field goal in overtime.

The then-#2 Oklahoma State team blew a 27-7 lead at half time and had an unranked team drag them into two overtimes, where they were still unable to put away a team that by-rights shouldn't have even been on the same field as them. Then-#2 loses to unranked ISU in 2OT.

#2 loses to #1 by three points in OT.

#2 blows 21+ points and loses to #579493847520786 in 2OT.

Don't get me wrong, I think that either team would provide worthy opposition to LSU in the Championship game. When it all comes down to it, though, my opinion is that Alabama is the team that gets to play. In my opinion they are, truly, the second-best team in the nation right now, hands down. Every season there's crying about who should be number two. Looking at the empirical data the BCS uses, there hasn't been a more clear-cut #2 in a while when we are talking about one-loss teams. That #2 team in Alabama.

Here's the way I see it;

Alabama played LSU, and lost (albeit a very, very close and well fought game). Oklahoma State played Iowa State, and lost.

Personally, looking at the games and opponents that each lost to, I'd say Alabama SHOULD be in (Obviously the loss to LSU wasn't nearly as bad as OSU losing to Iowa State). However, the loss to Iowa State was right after the tragedy that happened to OSU with that plane crash (not saying it's an excuse, but think it's something that affected the whole OSU family).

That being said, I would LIKE to see OSU vs. LSU in the Championship game.

I enjoy defensive games better than shootouts, but I really want to see what the OSU offense can do vs. the LSU defense. After watching the last few weeks watching LSU, I can say I think that defense may be the best college defense I've ever seen.

Either way you really can't go wrong I don't think, OSU just threw a wrench into the picture last night when they destroyed a decent OU team. Landry Jones looked good awful, and think his draft stock probably plummeted after that.

I think it's obvious. The two teams that beat #2 should play in the National Championship Game. Go Clones!!

To take the contra position - LSU has already proven themselves to be better than Alabama. Alabama didn't get to play a 'do-over' game against LSU to determine the SEC West championship...and there was no 'do-over' game for the SEC Championship. There was no 'do-over' in the conference since LSU had already established its entitlement to the top position when compared to Alabama. So why should they get a 'do-over' game for the national championship? LSU has already proven themselves better than Alabama. Alabama had a shot and they missed. Alabama proved themselves to be unable to beat LSU this year.

Since there is no playoff system there should be no 'do-overs'. I don't care which team gets a shot but Alabama doesn't deserve a free run to try to fix the problem they created for themselves by losing to LSU in the first place.

Yeah Yeah everyone knows where I stand. But the two best teams deserve to play in the Title game. And thankfully those are Alabama and LSU (it pains me to say that last part). So bring it kitties. Trent and the rest of the team want you BAD! Roll Tide!

This is why the system is so messed up in the first place.

Because, if someone were to ask who is the better team between 'Bama and OSU, I think the general consensus would be 'Bama.

The loss to ISU is going to be the final straw for OSU. I don't think there's a snowballs chance that OSU makes the Champ. game. However, I agree with punk_lawyer that Alabama had a chance to beat LSU and messed it up. So, if Alabama beats LSU in the Champ. game, who is the real champion?

My dog is already in the hunt. I think Bama is the #2 team, but to make a case for OSU. The loss to ISU was in double OT and after the tragedy. They have more quality wins, but the loss was to a far inferior opponent. I personally don't' want to see a rematch because I think the team most capable of beating LSU is Bama. OSU's defense hasn't been stellar and I'm confident the LSU D can shut down or at least stall their offense.

I don't see it as a do-over. I see it objectively as numbers: #1 vs. #2, whoever that happens to be at the moment. It just so happens to be Alabama.

I think OSU is a deserving team, but I don't think they are the second best team in college football right now. Unfortunately, objectively, it's the #2 team that goes to the Big Game, and not the third best team.

There was a time before this BCS bullshit, when the #1 and #2 didn't have to play each other because of conference bowl commitments. It might have been harder for the general public to see, but the same coaches and writers who ranked them all season, ranked them after the final game.

We have the BCS because often there was the argument about which team truly deserved to be #1 at the end of the season (and to make a lot of money for schools, sponsors, and associations). Thus, the idea of #1 playing #2 to have a definitive Number One when the dust settles. Good concept, bad execution.

The number of quality wins and strength of schedule favors OSU.

I also don't give Alabama much of a chance in a rematch. Their special teams are still bad, their offense is not great, and this time they would not be playing at home. I know it doesn't matter, but for me OSU vs LSU is a much more intriguing matchup (great offense vs. great defense).

Alabama wins that first game if they didn't drop balls and if they had someone who could actually KICK the ball. They actually outplayed LSU, IIRC. I think that Alabama's Achilles Heel is going to be their kicking game when/if they play LSU again. They just don't have a strong kicker.

IIRC none of the kicks were chip shots. It is set for the rematch though so we will see how the second game fairs.

We are all experts so get over to the Sports section tomorrow and register for the College Bowl pickem! :laugh:

With all due respect to the okl st tragedy, no one was even bringing that up when the score was 24-3 in that game.
Everyone says Alabama blew their chance. Well Okl st blew their chance when they lost to a 6-6 ISU team. has ever made the BCSCG after losing to a 6-6 team.
Vegas had Okl st. an 11.5 dog to LSU. Bama opened up 1 point dog to LSU and is now a pickem. This right here tells us the the BCS committe got it exactly right. Might not be what most wanted but the BCS job is to get the 2 best teams, not a popularity vote. Rematchs happen all the time in sports. Why not here?
If Okl st wants to be mad at someone, they should be mad at the BIG12 for losing the conference championship game. No doubt in my mind they would be playing on Jan 9th if they had been able to play and win a conference championship game. The BIG12 and PAC12 also nixed the idea of a +1 when the SEC and ACC were on board with working out some sort of playoff. Every team had the opportunity to care of busniess on the football and did not do it.
That being said, this same exact scenario could happen again next year. LSU will be a unanimous no. 1 and Alabama will not be far behind.

ROLL TIDE!!