• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Balvenie 15 - Single Barrel

Ralph

The nose to me was reminiscent of maple syrup with a prominent vanilla aroma. First sip (neat) showed a more subtle vanilla flavor, heavy notes of oak and just a whiff of smoke. The finish was very peppery, very HOT! Probably due to its 50.4% alcohol content. I added a splash of water which didn't do much to the overall experience and even more water did not improve it.

Whenever I post a review I usually have done at least three separate tastings to sort of get an average and make sure my taste buds on any one night were not damaged by what I ate or drank before the tasting. Half-way through my first tasting my wife brought out a chocolate covered apple which seemed to balance out the spicy characteristics of the finish. (Chocolate and Scotch can make a fantastic couple.) The two worked so well together that I tried a little Ben & Jerry's Central Fudge ice cream on my third tasting which I drank neat. Second tasting was with a splash and without any accompanying desserts foods etc.

This is definitely a Bourbon lovers Scotch as the first-fill American Oak imparts both the oakey and vanilla flavors very common to your BIG Bourbons like Bookers. I probably won't buy this one again. The Doublewood is a Spey favorite for me, and seeing what they've done with Port finishing, I will definitely try the 21.

I love the 12 year (it's my go to), but I was really unimpressed with the 10 year - I thought it was almost medicinal.

I really love the finishes right now. I'm on the 15-year Glenfiddich Solera right now, and it's quickly becoming one of my favorites.

Rumblin said:
I love the 12 year (it's my go to), but I was really unimpressed with the 10 year - I thought it was almost medicinal.

I really love the finishes right now. I'm on the 15-year Glenfiddich Solera right now, and it's quickly becoming one of my favorites.
[snapback]274351[/snapback]​

People I know rave about the 21. I gotta try that next!

I also like the Solera. Excellent stuff!

The Balvenie 15 is one of my favorite drinks and I am a bourbon guy too. I love the big spicy flavor and the alcohol to back it up. I've probably bought more of this then any other in my life.

have to agree. balvenie 15 is the only liquor i won't let get down to even *one* bottle.. now that i finally got smart enough to buy them in pairs. :)

Balvenie 15 is in my opinion the 'Auld Reliable' of scotch whisky. Handmade, inoffensive, suitable for grandmothers. . suitable for BREAKFAST if you're so inclined. :)

It's not a world beater, it's more like the family dog that fetches your slippers. Well Trained, and fits in the livingroom just fine. :)

You don't have to like Scotch to like the Balvenie Single Cask. Just whisky..

This is what got me back on the Scotch horse. Unfortunately, all the stores here gouge you for it. :(