• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Balvenie Caribbean Cask 14 Year~

This showed up at my local Spec's today, and I couldn't resist upgrading from the Dalmore 12 I'd originally stopped in to buy.

A few years back, when The Balvenie introduced their limited release RumCask 14, a friend in Scotland arranged for a few of us on another forum to purchase bottles (he lives right down the road from the distillery, actually) and mailed them over as "lava lamps." :whistling:

Mine, unfortunately, arrived in tinkling, wet, wonderful smelling shards. :0

But since I love The Balvenie, Speysides, and caskings, I've been thinking about that bottle ever since. :laugh:

I don't know how this will compare---I'll be pouring a dram later, and will post my thoughts---but the color in the bottle is really something special; a rich and almost luminous medium-amber tone, a little deeper and richer than golden.

Positively tingling with anticipation here, lol.

~Boar

17772.jpg

Had some of this last Friday. I thought it was good. Curious to know what you think of it.

It's really, really different but in an awfully good way. :)

I'm more used to sherry and port caskings, so I didn't know what to expect from this one---it's thick and viscous feeling at first, but softens in the glass with a little breathing time. Almost a medicinal aroma, with a dry initial taste followed by . . . apples? Something like apples, then loads and loads of spice. Picked up a little rum flavor on the finish, especially later in the dram.

Unusual. Quite tasty. I'll be very interested in comparing it to the Benriach Dark Rum 15 I'm picking up from the October buy.

~Boar

This sounds good. I'll have to look for this. I've been really in to rum lately and this would probably go over well.

The only other Rum Cask finish I've had is the Glenfiddich 21 Gran Reserva. From the GR you could pick up a lot of the sweetness from the run. I think Smokyballs has it right on this one, that you pick up a litte of the rum sweetness, but you also pick up more of the rum alcohol taste.

Was fortunate to go to a press tasting event of this last month and this stuff was flowing. Really enjoyed the spice if you just let it sit on the tongue for awhile. Have not purchased a bottle of it yet, but plan to during the holidays.

I had some a couple weeks ago. I enjoyed it. At the price Seth was selling it for a few weeks ago, it was that much better.

Just got mine and I'm thinking of doing a full on series of the Balvenie RumWood, RumCask, Golden Cask, Cuban Cask and the Caribbean Cask. Just gotta find the day when I won't be doing anything else :p

Just got mine and I'm thinking of doing a full on series of the Balvenie RumWood, RumCask, Golden Cask, Cuban Cask and the Caribbean Cask. Just gotta find the day when I won't be doing anything else :p

I didn't realize they'd done so many rum cask matured expressions. Looking forward to the report!

I'm 99% sure that the Golden Cask and the Caribbean cask are the same thing just renamed for different markets.

Balvenie whore! :laugh: