• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The best damn tequila in the US

The differences between tequila and mezcal can be likened to the differences between scotch and rye whiskeys. Or between cognac and brandy. And while mixto tequila may be exported in bulk and bottled outside Mexico, mezcal is always bottled in Mexico.

Tequila and mezcal are similar in the amount of alcohol in the bottle: around 38-40% for most tequilas, while the NORMA for mezcal is 36-55%. Mezcal producers are more likely to use traditional methods - artisan style - than tequila manufacturers, and premium mezcals are 100% agave.

The pinas (which agave nectar comes from) are generally cooked in stone ovens when producing mezcal.

Regarding the worm:

Mezcal is the drink with the worm - not tequila. Called a gusano, or gusano de maguey, it is actually a caterpillar of a night butterfly (mariposa), not a worm at all, and it feeds on the plant (both cultivated and wild varieties). Or at least some of the brands have it - most premium mezcal distillers don't put one in the bottle. Certainly Mexicans don't seem to drink anything with a worm and homebrew or local mezcals never have it.

There are two different types of worm - red (rojo - considered superior because it lives in the root and heart of the maguey - colloquially known as the chinicuil) and the less-prized white or gold (gusano de oro), which lives on the leaves. However, in some areas, the red is more numerous and harms the maguey more. The red gusano turns pale in the mezcal, the gold turns ashen-grey. Both larvae are commonly eaten as food and are sold in Zapotec markets. The small (about 1" long) gusanos are cleaned, then soaked in a vat of water for a year.

More info. than you'll ever need :)

Tony Bones said:
The small (about 1" long) gusanos are cleaned, then soaked in a vat of water for a year.
Hummm, I would have thought any organic matter soaked in water for a year would rot. I'll have to look into this. ???

Here you go Tony, they'll even ship just one barrel. Major amount of 'shine or tequila will fit in one of these. :thumbs:

cigarsarge said:
Where are you going to get the worm?
Worms normally come in Mezcal like Gusano Rojo. Made from a different cactus and it tastes pretty nasty ???

AVB said:
Here you go Tony, they'll even ship just one barrel. Major amount of 'shine or tequila will fit in one of these. :thumbs:
Hmmm...w/ my six gallon still I don't think production warrants a barrel purchase of that magnitude :sign:

Actually, I've decided to buy heavily toasted American Oak cubes to age both this and my next batch of shine with. Much more economical than barrels and I can get a higher oak to liquid surface area. Maintenance free too.

Cooked up two five gallon batches of agave mash this evening. It's amazing how simple it is to do in comparison to beer making.

1. Pour 1.6 gallons of 100% pure blue agave into a big pot
2. Pour 2 gallons of distilled water into said big pot
3. Heat to a light boil
4. Transfer to sterilized fermentor, let cool to below 95 degrees, and add yeast

Let it sit for five days to ferment, then distill. Carbon filter the end product, cut it to 50% and oak it for six months for resposado or 12 months for anejo.

:thumbs: Done :thumbs:

You make it sound much better then I can believe. To me, tequila tastes what I imagine unfiltered pee is like. Never could drink that stuff but hats off to those of you who do. :D

Hey Tony, where did you get your agave? Is is something easily acquired, or is it restricted somehow? :)

AVB said:
You make it sound much better then I can believe. To me, tequila tastes what I imagine unfiltered pee is like. Never could drink that stuff but hats off to those of you who do. :D
Let me get a batch together and aged and I'll see if I can change your mind.

I was very much of the same state of mind until about two months ago. I had experienced Porfidio and a few other higher end tequilas. Wasn't overly impressed and they still seemed harsh.

I think the key to a really good, really smooth tequila is its being made w/ 100% pure agave, mixed w/ nothing else but distilled water. A high oak to liquid ratio will help the cause too.

As far as where I got the agave from: Some secrets must remain secrets :)

Son of a ...

Got to distilling my first batch of agave wash last night and my heating element went on the fritz. Bah!

New one coming. Patience is a virtue, they say. Who is this they anyway?

Cuervo.com said:
Jose Cuervo Tradicional is 100% Blue Agave tequila produced the original, handcrafted way. Every individual bottle (designed after the original Jose Cuervo bottle) is assigned its own unique number, letting you in on a special Cuervo exclusivity.

I drank some, still tasted like strong piss. I can do shots of Cuervo Especial but have to shoot it fast (like too fast for the tastebuds to kick in).

I have not tried any other brand of tequila, but I suspect it all tastes this way. Not my choice of Neat drink. I like Ritas, but for drinking neat, I prefer scotch. :)

I haven't had Tequila since '98.

Buddies and I walked over to TJ from San Ysidro. We get to these titt......er night clubs and begin drinking. After about 4 hours and an ungodly amount of cheap, bad tequila, we start to walk back. 2 buddies puke in the taxi ($25 clean-up fee), 1 pukes in the citizenry line, 1 pukes on the SP asking for military IDs, and I made it to the top of the tower, started crossing the bridge, and launched over the edge down onto the traffic going in to Mexico. Yep, lots of cars with barf rain that night. Not a drop since.

For frozen stuff, I drink Daquiris, or Mai Tais. And as for shooters............I'll just pull on my Sam Adams while you get **** faced.

Here's the recipe for Tequila:

Shoot - Gargle - Spit in Urinal :p

M. Gipson

Change that to Rum, and the location to Japan and the rest of the story is the same, including barfing on the bridge (except they were going to Hiroshima).

The only thing from Cuervo I will put in my mouth is Reserva de Familia...the good stuff :)

We'll see how this stuff turns out. Who knows, I might be able to change some of your minds. Or, I might be able to make you harf at the very least. I aim to please.

Mr Bones, I would happily drink bout near anything you create, just to say I tried it. If I die from it, then at least I will be out of my misery. ;)

FullMoonFrenzy said:
I LOVE TEQUILLA PADRON BLUE....MAKES ME WILD AND CRAZY AND I LIKE THAT IN ME!! WOOHOOOOO :thumbs:
Oh boy, WATCH OUT :D

The next time I'm in the DFW area, remind me to bring a bottle of tequilla over to FMF's house :0 :p

No CC, bring it to the smoke shop we herf at so we can all watch FMF go CRAZY :p :D

Cooked er' up and the return weren't ****. Only ended up w/ a half gallon of 170 proof. Once cut down to 80 proof I'll have about a gallon to hoard and get falling down drunk off.

Won't be making this again any time soon, as the amount of end product just isn't worth the investment.

Back to whiskey, er apple jack, er...whatever the hell you want to call it. I think I'll just stick w/ Boneshine.