• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The best tasting, worst rolled Graycliff cigar I ever had!

Jack Straw

Back from our long weekend at the Graycliff, and let me say if you are ever in Nassau, for any reason, make it a point to stop in! It is truly "Old World" elegance. The staff and management go out of their way to accomodate your every whim, and make you feel that your comfort and enjoyment is their only concern.

Part of my surprise birthday gift was to be a class in rolling cigars, but as Friday, June 6th, was The Bahamian Labor Day, the cigar factory had closed in celebration. So on Saturday, every one of the rollers was working overtime to make up for Friday's day off. They asked me to reschedule the class until Monday, but as we were flying out early on Monday morning, so that wasn't going to work. Maureen who runs the cigar and gift shop huddled with Oscar who oversees the toceadors, and after a short conversation, apologized that I couldn't get the entire class but invited me to sit with one of the rollers, Miguel, and watch him roll a few cigars, and then try one myself.

DSCF2309.jpg

Miguel rolling a Pirate (torpedo) version of Graycliff's Chateau Gran Cru (purple label). I swear, this man could crank out a great looking smoke about every 1-2 minutes! Their speed and dexterity is amazing to watch.

My turn.....may not be SFW ... :rolleyes: !
DSCF2310.jpg

Miguel showing me, for about the 10th time, how to fold the bunch tighter, and keep them tight while adding the next leaf. Each leaf is "accordian-like" folded, and held tightly against the others until the 6 leaves used in the Chateau Gran Cru blend are bunched together. Much easier said than done!!

DSCF2312.jpg

Adding the last of the filler leaves.

DSCF2313.jpg

Telling me to keep a lot of pressure on the binder, so that the cigar will roll smoothly. It doesn't show in the picture, but I am squeezing the heck out of the filler leaves in my left hand.

DSCF2314.jpg

The binder is on, and it looks like a poorly rolled joint a this point! :whistling:

DSCF2315.jpg

Applying the wrapper. I really expected them to give me to use an inferior leaf, but that was one of the prettiest leaves of tobacco I have ever seen. It was as smooth as silk, the veins were minute, and it was very elastic. Notice the intense concentration, as I try to keep it somewhat even.

DSCF2316.jpg

Miguel applying the pigtail to the end of my cigar.

DSCF2317.jpg

My masterpiece!!

DSCF2319.jpg

Putting the flame to my creation!

DSCF2320.jpg

It actually burns!! Other than being a bit loose, canoeing and tunneling a bit, and dropping ash on about every drag, it was almost perfect .. :thumbs:

My wife commented that while I was struggling with mine, the roller across from me, who was rolling Double Expressos in the robusto size, had rolled 10-12 cigars and they all included cutting and applying caps which she found to be absolutely fascinating.

It was all great fun, and Oscar and Miguel could not have been nicer putting up with my attempts at cigar making. Again, given the opportunity, I would strongly suggest a trip to the Graycliff if you are ever in Nassau!

Looks like you had a great time!!! Congrats on rolling your own cigar!! Good to have ya back sir... Happy Birthday again! :thumbs:

Awesome pictures! Thanks for sharing the experience with us! I had a fresh rolled Greycliff a few years back, and to this day it was in the top 5 of my favourite smokes.

Great pictures, Jay! Looks like you had a great time.

Wow Jay! Love the hat brother! :D That looked like a really great time. Shame you didn't get to do the full class, however I'm sure that was enough for plenty of memories. So how many did you make off with while the rollers weren't looking?? :laugh:

Looked like a lot of fun!

I have only had one Greycliff, and it sucked. I think my old dealer left them in a mouldy basement and then sh*t on them before sending it over.

Anyway, does appear you had a great time, so all good.

Excellent stuff, thank you for sharing.

I got to tell you, that's a fine looking cigar for your first roll. I'm sure when you get to the 10,000 roll, they will happily open a position for you. :D

Brian

Nice Jay. Glad you had a good time. Glad to finally put a face with the name. Although, I thought you'd look more like a Dead head. You mus not have inhaled. :whistling:

Jay thanks for sharing. Can you roll me a few by next month?

Nice Jay. Glad you had a good time. Glad to finally put a face with the name. Although, I thought you'd look more like a Dead head. You must not have inhaled. :whistling:
ROTFLMAO!

Brian

Looks like a wonderful experience Jay! So when are you starting production of the "JAY" Torps? Glad you got the return trip! :thumbs:

What a great trip!!! It looks like you had a great time and experience.

Nice Jay. Glad you had a good time. Glad to finally put a face with the name. Although, I thought you'd look more like a Dead head. You mus not have inhaled. :whistling:

I didn't think one was supposed to inhale cigars?!? ???

Jay thanks for sharing. Can you roll me a few by next month?

So when are you starting production of the "JAY" Torps?

Trust me, you would both be better served buying your cigars!! ;)