• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The "Calle Ocho" experience in Little Havana Miami....

cibao33

Heading out to the D.R. for a little R&R and will be stopping into Miami to visit with a friend. I was wondering if a few (or many) members on this board have ever travelled down to "Calle Ocho" in Little Havana to experience the different ciagr factories down there.....El Credito, El Rey de Los Habanos, etc... With all the heritage and tradition these family owned businesses have to offer, I have to believe it would be a blast just to spend a day down there and see first hand what makes these cigars so special.

But I also understand that these small factories are businesses that meet certain daily production quotas that may not agree to friendly visits from every person that walks through their doors. I have visited larger factories before, but the circumstances were much different.

Can anyone offer any guidance to the "Calle Ocho" experience?

Thanks,
JR

I did search this topic prior to posting the thread, and did not find any first hand experiences.

Will only bump this once hoping someone who's been down there can throw a little guidance my way.

Thanks

I was really hoping to see some info here so..../BUMP

thinking of heading down there this summer. I would also like to know the inside scoop.

You guys have to wait until Miami Cubano gets back. He has posted a ton of stuff about the area. I would do a search on his posts.

Yes I have been there several times. I have friends who have La Luna Cigars and it is in the heart of Calle de Ocho. There is a little Cafe down for La Luna that has the best Breakfast, Cuban Sandwiches and Cuban coffee. Also, there are a few good small rollers down there to buy cigars from.

I believe you can take tours during the week. When I was down in Miami for work in November, one of our contacts down there was going to take me to little havana the one Saturday, but they arent open on weekends and we didnt have enough time during the week to get out there.

Im not sure what factory he had in mind to take me to, so not sure if all are open to the public or only certain ones.

But hopefully Ill be heading back down to Miami at the end of February, I should be able to get down to little havana this time!

My fiance was down in Miami visiting with some friends last month. Being the Pepin "ho" that I am, she knows all about Pepin and could even give you the rundown of my favoring blends of his. So naturally, she knows all about 8th and 11th and El Rey de los Habanos. Well being as how Christmas was right around the corner, she stopped in to grab me some goodies. It was funny, she told me that she went in the wrong door and walked right in on the rollers. My fiance is from South America, so the Cubana ladies that were working in the factory were real nice to her... at least they all spoke the same language. They directed her to the front of the shop where there was a nice selection of smokes to choose from, including the custom pipe and bat that were featured in CA. One of Pepin's relatives (maybe a cousin or something...) greeted her and helped her pick out some smokes. She indicated that she wanted to pick up something that Pepin had been smoking. He directed her to the JJ Maduros. Also picked me up a box of JJ Solomons. Very nice score if you ask me... and the smokes weren't bad either! ;)

Here are some photos that she took at ERdlH...

IMG_2381.jpg

IMG_2382.jpg

So needless to say, they were very friendly to her and welcomed visitors. They even told her to come back in early January when Pepin would be there... so she could meet him! I definately appreciated the way that they treated her. :thumbs:

mac

Thanks for all the great responses. This was exactly the info I was looking for....."The personal experience". Heading down there next week!

You guys are awesome.

Larry

Thanks for all the great responses. This was exactly the info I was looking for....."The personal experience". Heading down there next week!

You guys are awesome.

Larry

You're welcome!
Glad to be able to help.
Have a great time.
Mark

When will you be there? I'm also going next week, and so was interested to find your thread. Do be sure to check out the article in the new CA, complete with pictures and maps.

On a completely crazy note, I'm also going to try to do the Key West cigar walk later in the trip.

Have a great trip!

Maduro Fan

You guys are awesome.

Larry