• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Case of the Curiously Comparable Cigar Bands

morcerf

Alright Sleuths, I need some assistance in solving what is to me, a mystery.

I recently purchased a 10 pack of Padilla Series '68 Toros from JoeCigar. When I received the sticks yesterday I noticed they had a 2nd band below the primary one containing the words "Edición de Aniversario" in black text on a gold background. Later, when I was playing with them & putting them in a tupperdor for quarantine, I recalled I had seen that band before.

Over the weekend I smoked (but did not enjoy) a Graycliff 1666 Churchill I had purchased in a Cigar Bid sampler some time ago that had a secondary band. I checked my box of bands & it was right on top, by the Graycliff label. Yes, it was exactly the same.

To my knowledge, these 2 cigars are rolled by completely unrelated manufacturers. So why would these heterogeneous rolls of tobacco share this same band? The only common link between them is both were purchased via Cigar International.

I appreciate anyone who is able to enlighten my bewilderment.

100_5016.jpg

100_5018.jpg

100_5019.jpg

100_5020.jpg

100_5021.jpg

I got the same sampler and I am wondering the same thing. I have never seen a Padilla 68 series(or any Padilla) with this band. I know the Obsidian had a stick that had a limited edition band but not this Edicion De Anniversario band. I am wondering if it is just a thing they did for CI? I did a lot of searching and cannot come up with anything about this band being on a Padilla stick. ???

I'm just conjecturing here, but I have a box of Padilla 68's from last year, and I sure as hell didn't see no "Edicion de Anniversario" on the bands. In addition, I ordered a sampler of the Graycliff 1666's when they first came out (months ago), and there was no secondary band on it either.

Something is going on with CI. Just this alone leads me to believe they're trying to "spice up" the look on some of their cigars that they sell at outrageous prices and compare to crapped and rolled gold. This occurrence and another BOTL's shipment of his Journey to Chateau Fuente box tells me something funny's going on at the CI Farm, and it doesn't seem like just one fluke... :angry:

That is really interesting. I have never seen or heard of those two cigars having a "special edition" which would necessitate them having the additional band.

Did you call CI to ask them?

Given the episode with the Journey to Chateau Fuente, it makes me also wonder what is going on there.

I'm just conjecturing here, but I have a box of Padilla 68's from last year, and I sure as hell didn't see no "Edicion de Anniversario" on the bands. In addition, I ordered a sampler of the Graycliff 1666's when they first came out (months ago), and there was no secondary band on it either.

Something is going on with CI. Just this alone leads me to believe they're trying to "spice up" the look on some of their cigars that they sell at outrageous prices and compare to crapped and rolled gold. This occurrence and another BOTL's shipment of his Journey to Chateau Fuente box tells me something funny's going on at the CI Farm, and it doesn't seem like just one fluke... :angry:
I have a '68 Robusto that came in a Padilla 2009 Sampler from Cigar Bid purchased last month & it does not wear the 2nd band either.

Nice to see I'm not the only one confused/concerned by this.

I was thinking the same thing but the cello does not appear to have been off then put back on. I am thinking that these are sticks that may be of lesser quality sent to CI. They may need the additional band so they can tell which are going to CI. The price was fine 10 sticks for $29.99. Sticks look good and smell great but the bands have me scratching my head. I have some 68 salomon,s from CI and they do not have that bands.

I bought the '68 Mega Sampler from cbid 2-3 months ago and they didn't have those extra bands. Must be a recent addition and rather lame.

Just got off the phone with CI. I am told these are leftover 1968 sticks from a special event that Padilla had. They came to the CI warehouse with those bands on. Makes sense in a way as they probally had a bunch of these sticks left over and needed to get rid of them. What better way to do so. Unload them on CI for cheap $$$ and they resell on Joes daily deal for $29.99. :(

Possibly this event.

Padilla Event

Just got off the phone with CI. I am told these are leftover 1968 sticks from a special event that Padilla had. They came to the CI warehouse with those bands on. Makes sense in a way as they probally had a bunch of these sticks left over and needed to get rid of them. What better way to do so. Unload them on CI for cheap $$$ and they resell on Joes daily deal for $29.99. :(

Possibly this event.

Padilla Event
Good information. Unfortunately, that doesn't explain why a Graycliff sported an identical band.

Possibly this event.

Padilla Event
Good information. Unfortunately, that doesn't explain why a Graycliff sported an identical band.

Nope it sure does not.

You need to drink more, Don.

Bruce I am afraid you lost me on that???

Nah, nothing Don. I'm just not taking shit seriously today. I don't see what all the hooey is about.

Nah, nothing Don. I'm just not taking shit seriously today. I don't see what all the hooey is about.

It is not a biggie they are only Padilla 68 sticks. If these were Opus then my panties would be in a bunch. I was mostly curious about the story behind the band. I am sure CI probally got these from Padilla for about .50 cents a stick and unloaded on us for $3 a stick. :laugh:

It's all marketing. They're just copying what the Cubans did with their limited edition cigars. At the IPCPR, I saw quite a few cigars that will be released this year sporting "Edicion Limitada 2009" bands that are identical to the Cuban bands.

Support your local B&M instead!!!

(or one of the fine retailers from CP)