• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The CC

louich

The evil snowman
Ok guys, I've gone thru about 30 pages of the 56 (I'm more about reading than posting) in this part of our 'forum world' and I can tell I have learned a lot about Cubans. Sick period, the different takes on the preferred temps and hum% the ususal classics (the fakes) and the way to help identify them, seriously there is a lot if infos.

As I already said in my intro I am fairly new to cigars but the only ones I smoked until now are cubans (being in canada helps). My brother came back with some Relobas after his trip (to cuba) and gave them to me. So instead of doing what I always did with all the rest of the cigar given to me (stocking in the fridge) I decided to buy a humidor.

I bought some sticks that I eventually smoked as I wanted to taste something else than the peso cigars to practice my taste buds. Now as time got passed the gf wanted to go on a trip and you guessed it: were going to Cuba.

So as our preparation goes down (going there on the easter week) I have narrowed down some of the boxes I targetted that should be in the official Cuban licensed store.What do you guys thinks about them ?

Cohiba robusto
Cohiba maduro 5 secreto
Monte cristo edmundo

and if I get enough loose money I'll probably get a behike 52 (10)box..

There were many other boxes I wondered about after reading about them but since I know the products listed above I was still wondering if there was something to be added. And since I have 'sailed around' the web and cigars forums I found out this one has the most knowlegable members and so I opted to ask about what to buy in Cuba (Varadero) while being there.

My choice would be any of these:

Cohiba Robusto
Partagas Seried D4
Bolivar Belicoso Finos
Ramon Allones Speciality Selected
Juan Lopez Selection 2
R&J #2, 4 or Wide Churchhills

Your spot on with the Monet Edmundo choice, they are excellent imho.

If it was me buying from the island, I would get some BHK, and then, if I had any left, then go for what ever else on your list...

Well I tought the Behikes would be more of a prize possession in the humidor but I also wanted to get some less expensive (They dont give them away in LCDH in cuba*) stick for the less 'special' occasions and some that I could smoke with other friends that are not that 'expert' in cigars. Since Cohibas are well reviewed but also the most counterfitted brand I tought these would be a nice start since I would be pretty sure about the 'quality' but I am starting to thinks about the Partaga's, Bolivar's and H Upmann's also. Ah ! Dilema .....

Thanks for answering on the thread guys and since I'm not off until april's 1st (not a april's fool joke:) more info/advice is greatly appreciated !

* I had the chance to stumble upon an updated price list of LCDH - Cuba

I keep Monte #4 on hand because they are really good and cheap enough that I am happy to hand them out to folks how might come over. I'm a big Boli Royal Corona and Uppman Mag 46 fan so those would be my choice from the ones you listed.

Don't forget to have HER buy some smokes and bring them back ( I think you guys are limted to 100 sticks or some such thing...right? )

The three you listed are very good. The behike...well, try that while your there...first!

As for the CoRo...a lot of folks enjoy them..but more bang for your $$$ can be had with the III.

It sounds like you don't go for the peppery (partagas) or floral(RyJ) stock...Think about trying a Ramon Allones or El Rey Del Mundo (very different from each other).

You may also want to look up which smokes will be discontinued and see what they have there. That may be your only chance to get a discontinued brand/vitola!

Have a wonderful journey!

Don't forget to have HER buy some smokes and bring them back ( I think you guys are limted to 100 sticks or some such thing...right? )

The three you listed are very good. The behike...well, try that while your there...first!

As for the CoRo...a lot of folks enjoy them..but more bang for your $$$ can be had with the III.

It sounds like you don't go for the peppery (partagas) or floral(RyJ) stock...Think about trying a Ramon Allones or El Rey Del Mundo (very different from each other).

You may also want to look up which smokes will be discontinued and see what they have there. That may be your only chance to get a discontinued brand/vitola!

Have a wonderful journey!

Thanks for the post Grateful (i loooove the avatar btw ! :)

We have the right to bring back 50 cigars (or two 25 box) each when we come back from Cuba . If we were to bring back more we would have to pay some sort of taxes on the exedent (hopefully not as much as it is on alcool).

Now here comes the newb questions:

When you talk about the III instead of the CoRO I assumed your talking about the Siglo line ?

Why do you to try Behikes first when I get there? To get hooked on the best and never look back ? lol

I centanly try the RASS and El Rey's while I'm there (and a partagas I've read to much on them to not trry one). The RyJ will be the last option as they are not rare around here and from the one's I've smoke they were okay for the most but not memorable...(maybe I did not smoke the 'good ones ' tough...)

Thank for the heads up on the discontinued vitolas/brands I would never had tought of that as I am not enough of a 'connaisseur' as of now (as opposed to scotch).

Thanks for the infos!

No need to try the BHKs, just grab as many as you can!!! ( I would go for the 52's)

Yeah well... At the price they sell them in Cuba I'll look around even if I really want to bring back some 52's home...