• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Cup Cake Police are Out

I think if i started talking on this thread i might say things i will regret...but to be straightforward, I used to be a VERY big girl and I know what it is like to be large...but policing the schools for twinkies isn't gonna cut it...and before you tell me i dont know what i am talkin about? i do...i hate studies and reports like this...

Melly

pretty much like every other problem we have with kids. If the parents don't regulate it and teach healthy eating at home, there's little the schools will be able to do about it.

Unfortunately not even teaching kids at home will cure it...and I know that first hand...sometimes, it falls squarely on the kids...

Melly

"Here, eat this, you'll feel better", Italian moms, you got to love 'em.

Doc.

I have had this argument before with mothers.

In respect to the obesity issue:

I agree that it is a good idea to add healthier alternatives out for the kids
But, when kids have no idea what "good foods " are and they think chicken only comes breaded and fried...the issue indeed is a HOME issue. When some parents are too lazy to COOK and to stupid to look at the labels to educate their kids we have these issues. Sadly, it has become that in some cases school is becoming more of a parent than some out there. I came from a drenched in oil and fats family where all but 2 have had a slew of cholesterol, hypertension, diabetes, and obesity.....I still have issues with how to eat properly sometimes, because there are times I still go towards that familiar comfort foods.

In respect to Allergies and ADD:
Sweets can cause serious issues in some kids, so can the food coloring. With my stepson being ovo intolerant ( allergic to eggs ) I can relate where it is not fair when kids are having cupcakes and he can't.

I remember the days where it was all so simple and kids pigged out and wigged out, but, that is no longer the case.

It is impossible to make it fair for all-

Rant off-

I didn't make it through the Turbo Tax ad... :angry:

Regarding the type of food they serve in schools:

IMHO, if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

I got an idea. Why don't we rid the homes of PS2's, XBox, internet, et al and make the kids go outside and play!! Boy, now that's a novel idea. Instead of jamming crap into their faces while playin' Madden whatever, make 'em burn off some energy in a healthy way. Better yet, why not make the parents get involved with their children and play/teach them things!!!! Holy Chit, making parents responsible!!!!!!! What a novel/antiquated idea. :whistling:

Making parents responsible doesn't bring $$$$ from the "fat peddlers" though, like McDonalds, et al. Less calories in, more calories burned equals less fat storage. Hmmmmmm!

Floyd T. :thumbs:

AMEN!
I have a 3 hour outside minimum during the summer months- I agree with you whole heartedly.

I'm still trying to grasp why it's such an accepted norm that when something is banned, removed or otherwise strictly monitored, it's the <insert your vice> "police" doing it. Like "police" is a bad connotation for anything related to removing those good things we've always liked, and now the fun is being ruined by a "police" entity.

Sends a very wrong message, I tell ya...

It's a F'n cup cake WTF is wrong with people? We are creating a society of Paranoia and mask it with a loose term "awareness" we are afraid of everything, maybe we should all move to the woods and live off the earth?

I'm still trying to grasp why it's such an accepted norm that when something is banned, removed or otherwise strictly monitored, it's the <insert your vice> "police" doing it. Like "police" is a bad connotation for anything related to removing those good things we've always liked, and now the fun is being ruined by a "police" entity.

I agree with you! That is truly sad. Kids are growing up thinking that the police are bad because they stop us from doing what ever the hell we want, even if it hurts ourselves or others? ...Pathetic...

My home town police chief coached my little league team, though he had no sons. I've been ok with police ever since, even when he caught me ditching school one day. While I'm imune to the plays on words, I can understand how that can build up in others. BTW, my youngest son is waiting on his 21st birthday so he can apply to the academy here.

It's a F'n cup cake WTF is wrong with people? We are creating a society of Paranoia and mask it with a loose term "awareness" we are afraid of everything, maybe we should all move to the woods and live off the earth?

Well- if it were just a cupcake....
but when paired with bad food, overindulgence and poor habits it then isn't JUST A CUPCAKE!!! When kids live to eat and not eat to live then we have these issues.

I say let them be!!!! I like the freedom of giving myself diabetes, obesity, heart attacks. Those Little Debbies go a long way, especially if you only have a quarter to spare.