• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Evil Dr. Moki's Group Blind Taste Test #1

Nice!

Funny - it had a familiar taste....that 'dry' smoke I speak of...I get that with the Upmann's.

I don't smoke them often as they are not a cigar I am drawn too or enjoy.

The plug (opposed to the 'smoke') was what lead me to the age....I'll have to watch that for the rest of the reviews.

Thanks Andrew.

Well done, gents. This is already a lot of fun and there are 9 more to go!

Wow, hella fun, lol.

I think I need to shorten my reviews a bit from here on out, lol, I didn't know I would be the long winded one.

Sounds like B.B.S, Gary, and I were in agreement in some areas but I totally missed the boat on the age. Looking forward to #2!

....nice to know I wasn't completely out in left field.... :laugh:

Me too, LOL. Pretty impressed that 7 out of the 8 got Cuban right.

I am as well! Probably helps that it'd be hard to think of a non-Cuban cigar that would fit this vitola, though... but taking nothing away from the group. 7/8 is a resounding consensus in terms of origin. Well done gents!

Bravo gentleman, bravo...

Great reviews and congrats to Smokyballs and Tone-ny for nailing it.

The reviews were a lot of fun to read.

and Moki, I'm in aw of the first cigar in the blind taste test. A Cuban H.Upmann Naturales tubos from the early 1980s.
Impressive, very impressive.

and Moki, I'm in aw of the first cigar in the blind taste test. A Cuban H.Upmann Naturales tubos from the early 1980s.
Impressive, very impressive.

Gotta keep people on their toes.

After seeing what he smoked, Tone-ny cocks his head and says "So it's gonna be like that, dog? Aight, it's gonna be like that. Bring it!"

Gotta keep people on their toes.

After seeing what he smoked, Tone-ny cocks his head and says "So it's gonna be like that, dog? Aight, it's gonna be like that. Bring it!"

Well I'm up for reviewing aged cigars everyday :love: :thumbs:

a guess Sorry have no Idea, however looking at it I wanted to say ISOM.

Looks like I should have stuck with my first guess.

Damn-it ...... I should of had the Marca, I had one a couple of years ago that looked exactly the same but it was a mid - early 90's Upmann.

My palate isn't in tune with aged Cubans as Moki guessed, and I don't smoke very many cigars with more than 10 years on them. I thought it was a well aged cigar but the lack of flavors that I was getting from it made me score it low. Also, not to be a pain in the ass, but when I guessed the price I was guessing on what price the cigar was on its release, not its current value. Was this released as a premium or everyday cigar?

This Blind Taste Test is very similar to the way we do blind wine tastings and your outcome can tell you a lot about your taste profile. At the end of this test it'll give each participant a great start to understanding your taste profile.

Great exercise Moki!

:cool:

....nice to know I wasn't completely out in left field.... :laugh:

Me too, LOL. Pretty impressed that 7 out of the 8 got Cuban right.

I am as well! Probably helps that it'd be hard to think of a non-Cuban cigar that would fit this vitola, though... but taking nothing away from the group. 7/8 is a resounding consensus in terms of origin. Well done gents!

I was trying not to do any research on these cigars prior to sending in my results, no book searches, no google, nothing. I wanted to rely only on what I already know about cigars and not let anything else influence my tasting and ultimately my guess at the origin and marca. Even though I did measure the cigar I didn't want to research if HdM ever produced this vitola and if so when. I thought this would have influenced my final decisions as it did on cigar #2.

I haven't decided if I'll change this strategy with the remainder of the taste test.

:cool:

Excellent stuff, well done guys.

Sorry I missed this Moki...keep having fun guys.

Brian

IMG_5148.jpg

Well it's wait and see how I did time.

My palate isn't in tune with aged Cubans as Moki guessed, and I don't smoke very many cigars with more than 10 years on them. I thought it was a well aged cigar but the lack of flavors that I was getting from it made me score it low. Also, not to be a pain in the ass, but when I guessed the price I was guessing on what price the cigar was on its release, not its current value. Was this released as a premium or everyday cigar?

This Blind Taste Test is very similar to the way we do blind wine tastings and your outcome can tell you a lot about your taste profile. At the end of this test it'll give each participant a great start to understanding your taste profile.

You have a point, regarding "everyday" vs. "premium" -- I don't know what these sold for initially, but H.Upmann in general is what I'd consider to be a step above "everyday" in terms of the marca pricing in general.

But yes, you did it right, you're not supposed to be researching, measuring, etc. prior to writing your reviews! :)

But yes, you did it right, you're not supposed to be researching, measuring, etc. prior to writing your reviews! :)
...I've found it difficult to measure a cigar after I've smoked it. Maybe I've been doing it wrong all these years..... :laugh:

With the review processes on its first leg, I would like to know what is you back ground in smoking cigars.

Example, Myself I have only been buying cigars buy the box for 3 years, been smoking for 6.

How about the rest of Moki's test subjects. How long have you been smoking cigars and storing your own.

With the review processes on its first leg, I would like to know what is you back ground in smoking cigars.

Example, Myself I have only been buying cigars buy the box for 3 years, been smoking for 6.

How about the rest of Moki's test subjects. How long have you been smoking cigars and storing your own.

5+ years - thereabouts.