• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The evolution and expense of cigar accessories

badhangover

Let me ask you a question. Are your cigars smoking well right now? Should they be more/less humid? Should the cut be any different? Should your lighter put out, uh, more/less fire? I think most of us are reasonably pleased with our individual setups we have attained throughout our time in this hobby. So why do we keep looking and spending for new and improved? The end goal is simply the smoking of our cigars, right?

I shake my head at myself for the minor fortune I've spent on cigar accoutrements. I remember, as I was just barely starting to smoke cigars, some old head telling me he kept his cigars within a sealed Tupperware bowl. He threw in an apple slice or two for humidity. He was just fine with his setup. Okay, I don't think he was smoking HTF/High End cigars - so his elementary storage practices were just fine by him. But what would he say if he knew (and I sincerely doubt he does or cares to know) that cigar lighters could retail for over $1k (and that's without jewelry adornment!)? The dizzying array of fancy cutters available (I think he used a cheap and sharp pocket knife exclusively set aside for cigar cutting). Humidification devices, laboratory worthy precise hygrometers, so on and so on.

I don't know that this evolution has necessarily resulted in a better tasting cigar smoking experience. Cigar smoking has been going on for a long long long time now. I think they were happy with their smoking experiences then. As we are likely happy with our smoking experiences now. But I have no doubt the accessory evolution will continue unabated. More ways to part us from our dough when it's cigars we're trying to smoke and not fancy accessories. Who knows, future generations may consider us savages for embracing lil' white beads as dependable for humidity maintenance.

Until some laser beam cutter comes out that produces a perfect cut each and every time, I think I'm done with accessories. No, wait, I take that back. I'd also like some type of contraption to massage out the kinks of overfilled/plugged cigars. I've never been thrilled with cigar pokers.

I think the most I have paid for a cigar toy is 25 but that was a used 15 herf-o-dor. For me right now it is more about the cigar. I am sure someday I will think I need the 30+ dollar cutter but right now my cheapo is good.

I am not saying anything bad about people that have the higher end toys, I just can't imagine that my cheap cutter/punch/lighter are doing that bad of a job.

But that's my take on it all.

Interesting points you make. And I think there are lots of cigar smokers that are guilty of enjoying the accessorizing more than the smoking, but I think this forum is actually a place where people are much more focused on enjoying the smokes than enjoying the so-called "good life" as outlets like Cigar Aficianado seem to pimp.

Cigar smoking isn't about Rolexes and golf weekends in Barbados and the new two-seater Mazerati -- at least not on this forum. Cigar smoking is about enjoying the excellent taste of something grown from the earth and cultivated with the ingenuity of man. Cigars, wine, beer, food, drink, (and ice cream?). You don't need expensive accessories for this pursuit. You just need good taste. And good taste can be acquired, shared, and learned. That's what this place is about in my opinion.

Sorry for the soap box -- this was a good topic to bring up. Good luck in your efforts to simplify. I am trying this every day -- forget the so-called good life, and go for the good taste. Good taste can't be bought.

I have to confess, I just have a beat-to-crap Blue Rhino lighter with built-in punch that pretty much takes care of it all, and a Cuban Crafters guillotine cutter for torps. But I did splurge on a Don Lino Africa ashtray (freakin' gorgeous!) and wouldn't mind another nice ashtray or two.

But for the most part, I'd rather spend my cigar money on cigars.

~Boar

Interesting topic! It's nice to have nice things, but there is a point at which someone becomes a person trying to create an illusion of success and wealth rather than just smoking their cigar. I don't think there is anything wrong with an experienced cigar smoker or even someone that enjoys cigars having nice accessories. But what really urks me is when you get some guy that has every gold dupont lighter ever made, that doesnt know a thing about cigars siting there telling me how acids are the best cigar, when he cant even keep it from having a cherry. I don't have anything against acids, but rather the front that people who know nothing about cigars sometimes try to create. I think many people will agree that cigars are the most enjoyable when we get back to the basics. A good cigar, good company, and no care in the world. Light cut and smoke!

I feel that I have come to a pass with the "toys"for now. I have found a couple lighters I like the most and keep them in fine running order also I like my Xikar cutter. I really don't know what I might be missing with a Palio cutter but at this point who cares. As far as my travel humi goes I don't see me traveling with more that a dozen or so so I feel I'm ok there too.

Now to the fun part of this, I am starting to run out of room in my 42 bottle wine-o-dor but I feel I can solve this problem with a little housekeeping and that just make it more fun.

I think that a lot of the accessories have to do with peoples innate desire to aquire nice things to show their status. Now, does that mean that someone who buys a $60+ cutter is doing so just for looks? No, but I would suspect that there is a considerable amount of people who do it subconciously. I bought a Xikar cutter not too long ago after my cheapo stamped metal cutters were dull and had started to mangle my cigars. I'd like to think that I bought it because I knew it was of good quality with a lifetime warranty, but I know that I also bought it because I like the fact that it looks nice. I would never spend over $30 on a lighter, personally, save for maybe the DuPont Fuente Fuente X lighter (beautiful piece of work on that), though even then I don't think I could pull the trigger on buying it. I'd rather spend the money on a quality humidor or more cigars!

Really! My $3 cutter produces the same results as cutters costing many many times more. My cheap ass punch produces perfectly round holes. My $3 Ronson lighter toasts and gets the cigar burning. The only thing I pay top of the line prices for is lighter fuel. I used to use Lava and now Vector. Who knows if it makes that much of a difference, but $7 for a huge can of Vector whats it matter? lol

I think there are definitley two different types of cigar smokers. Those who do it to be cool, trendy, as a status symbol. Then those who truely understand and find enjoyment out of fine cigars.

Besides expensive gadgets are just as easy to loose as cheap ones! The cheap ones are just easier to replace lol.

Cheap accessories are fine if that's what you like to use. We all have different priorities.

I do think that if you're in it for the long haul a quality cutter and a quality lighter are wise investments if you can afford to purchase them. A Palio or Xikar are not all that expensive and both are excellent cutters that should last a good many years. A decent lighter will last a long time if properly cared for.

You should use what you're comfortable using and don't worry about what others think or use. I don't smoke my cigars and pipes for the enjoyment of everyone else. I would never begrudge a person's choice of cigar, cutter, or lighter and I hope I'd receive the same consideration from them no matter the differential in our pocketbooks.

Meh, absurd or otherwise, I have a certain fascination for the craftsmanship and materials that go into the making of and gain type of personal enjoyment from having, say, an S.T. Dupont lighter, a Montblanc pen, or a fine timepiece. For me, it isn't about status or wealth (I will be the first to admit that I am neither affluent nor particularly wealthy) as much as it is the pleasure I get when I look down at my wrist to check the time, take my pen from my pocket to give my signature, or light up my cigar. As cliché as it sounds, I have but one life and I intend to enjoy it as much as I possibly can--if that means splurging on a few (or more than a few :whistling:) luxuries along the way, then so be it. That said, I pray the day never comes that I feel that I am "above" using my beat-to-hell $20 Colibri.

Just my ¥2

Edit: I do find the diamond-set Dupont lighters to be slightly excessive.

Until some laser beam cutter comes out that produces a perfect cut each and every time, I think I'm done with accessories.

First you have to identify the "perfect cut". Is the cut the same for a torpedo as it would be for a corona or say a culebra? Then there is ring guage; is the perfect cut for a 40 the same as the perfect cut for a 60?
:laugh:

As long as there are people with more money than sense, there will absurdly priced accessories attached to any given pasttime/hobby.

Case and point?

http://www.jackschwartz.com/s.937/dupont-p...collection.aspx

Enough said.

Wow.

I didn't pay all that much more than that for my HOUSE.

~Boar

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I am with Sunshine on this. I find an art and a true beauty in many of the S.T. DuPont lighters. I do not own one, but one day hope to. I also find an art in Timepieces and pens, and feel the same about nice pieces within my current means. One great example is humidors. I love the art of humidors and always wanted an Eli Blue until I saw The Humidor Minister's work (Now I want one of his and some day hope to have one) I do own items that are within my current means, and some may find them excessive, while some may say they are not, it really depends on what your idea of expensive is and that definition is different to everyone...though most will agree that 80k for a light is, well expensive :laugh:

I guess the point is, if you only look at the end as being smoking a cigar, then you could light it off a cheap lighter and cut it with a cheap knife etc. Thus considering the means to that end a excessive luxury. However, if you see a craftsmanship and art in certain parts of that luxury as part of the overall enjoyment, as I do, then the whole of that tobacco experience is the enjoyment. I my own 2 cent way, I enjoy my definition of that whole tobacco experience, and it is a lot more then gadgets, it is old advertisements and history and farms and cultivation and on and on.

For what it's worth, I have an ST Dupont Ligne 2 lighter. I don't begrudge its purchase, or any of my other similar purchases. But they don't make my cigars taste any better and I wouldn't replace them if lost.

The longer I'm into cigars, the more it's just about the cigars for me and not their embellishments.

For what it's worth, I have an ST Dupont Ligne 2 lighter. I don't begrudge its purchase, or any of my other similar purchases. But they don't make my cigars taste any better and I wouldn't replace them if lost.

The longer I'm into cigars, the more it's just about the cigars for me and not their embellishments.

But, you must hold that lighter and hear that "PING" and see the beauty in the design. I can understand your point on the disassociation between the actual event of smoking and the lighter itself. Still, you must also have the appreciation of the lighter, maybe to a separate capacity then the "event" of smoking, nevertheless an appreciation of the art of the lighter. I do not challenge your belief, as we are all individual of thought and expression, in fact I relish in it. I only engage in the thought of what draws or drew you to the lighter.

I think you use/buy what makes you happy as long as it is within your means. I personally bought a Xikar cutter and was gifted a Palio (I think they are both excellent, but I perfer the Palio). I probably have 8-10 lighters, nothing over $50, but I would rather use the cheap Firebird because of its size and dependability.

But regardless of whether or not I could afford it, I would spend the $80K on a BMW and use the lighter that comes with it. :sign: :sign:

Ken

Good quality products will make your life easier, especially with lifetime warranties. (ie Palio and Xikar). Heartfelt beads also keep your cigars perfect with very little effort.

All the things I listed are not overly expensive, and will last a long time. Good choices one and all.

edited spelling