• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The final in the series of 4 humidors.

Beautiful as usual. I wish I could afford a hand crafted beauty like that, but Law student going in to public service does not make it likely anytime soon.

Dennis

As a lawyer in the private sector, may I offer my advice not to do that?

Here's a picture of one with the gasket in place along with the magnets. I know it's hard to see but there's a groove 1/16" deep and 3/8" wide that the gasket material is in. There's 4 magnets, 2 on the lid and 2 in the corners. They are flush. The gasket sticks up 1/16". The magnets pull the lid down tight to the gasket. It also makes for the feel of a friction seal with no friction on the wood. If there were not a groove for the seal to be in, it would look bad and not work nearly as well. In one of the pics you can see the impression of the magnet in the gasket. This indicates the magnets are pulling together to create the seal. On the one I'm doing right now, it is about 12inches tall. I'll be doing a wood seal as well as a gasket. Might as well use both where applicable.
359943498.jpg

358415179.jpg

357822590.jpg

357822583.jpg

Thanks for clearing that up, Bill. I'm sticking with my opinion that this is not the best design for an heirloom piece. The gasket material will oxidize and compress. Hmmm...perhaps if you used leather... I think you should extend the cedar interior lining to overlap with the lid.

Nice piece! I am jealous of your wood working skills.

Thanks. I like the leather idea. I have a ton of scrap leather too. The gasket material I use is made for vacuum clamping. It has a very good recovery and should last for years. I can see where you are coming from though. It's the only material that looks out of place. The reason for not raising the cedar out of the top is due to the fact that I would have had to cut about 1 inch off the top of the box and attach it to the lid. This would have meant cutting through the double box joints. That would have been a visible cut line all the way around the humidor. I didn't have the nerve to take it to the saw after making the 4 corners. ??? I would do it on the band saw but my re-saw capacity is only 6 inches. If I did it on the table saw, it would take an 1/8 out due to the blade thickness. That would have taken away from the look. I've got some new tricks coming soon though. I wish I could get caught up at work but we're working over time to get some long term projects out of here. The weekends are all the time I have for now but another week or so and I'll have my evenings back. :thumbs:

The grain on the top of that box is absolutely insane! That is some of the most gorgeous wood I've ever seen. Keep up the good work!

The grain on the top of that box is absolutely insane! That is some of the most gorgeous wood I've ever seen. Keep up the good work!
Thank you. I have more where that came from. My favorite piece of Bubinga in my inventory are these pieces. I'm not sure what I'll make with them yet but it'll come to me. (Usually around 3:am :laugh: ) I like to imagine what this will look like with finish on it.
355936883.jpg

Sounds like time for a bigger bandsaw! I don't know what I'd do without my 17" Grizz with 12" resaw :D
I too have an almost finished humidor... if I could only remember where I put the hardware...
Also, ya'll should check out Arlin Liss' site and see how he seals his cabinets :whistling:
Chris

You have gremlins too? They come in the dark and steal tools, hardware, just about anything you need to finish a project. :whistling: :laugh:
As far as Arlin goes, I have checked out his work. We have come across each other on other boards too. He's quite a craftsman. Extremely talented for sure.

MMMM Grizzly :D My BIL just bought one of their 18" BS's with 12" resaw capacity. Just the fact that it has a vernier to tilt the table sells me on it. They make some awesome tools. IMHO the best BS for even twice the money for sure.

Thank you very much. The next time I make hinges, I'll do a "how to" for those of you that would like to try it yourself. (They are a PITA :blush: )

Sounds like time for a bigger bandsaw! I don't know what I'd do without my 17" Grizz with 12" resaw :D
I too have an almost finished humidor... if I could only remember where I put the hardware...
Also, ya'll should check out Arlin Liss' site and see how he seals his cabinets :whistling:
Chris

Yeah, but for boxes he uses a lip of cedar between the lid and the box...... :rolleyes:
03,10,09a.jpg

Doesn't matter. Look at Arlin's cabinets. He uses foam seal as well and I doubt ANYONE would complain about a Liss humidor.
Chris

Doesn't matter. Look at Arlin's cabinets. He uses foam seal as well and I doubt ANYONE would complain about a Liss humidor.
Chris

Doesn't matter look at his desktops.....isn't that a desktop in this thread? Cabinets are a different animal altogether. I just don't think you picked a good example....

There is no issue with my seal what so ever. It holds humidity perfectly. The material I use is for vacuum clamping. It will withstand a vacuum of 1500 lbs per square foot and is air tight. A wood seal is not an air tight seal.

You will notice on the humi pictured above, the top has a cavity to put the cedar into. My humidor is all storage with a flat lid. No cavity in the top. In order to do that I would have to cut a portion of the box sides off and attach it to the lid. This would mean cutting through the double, double box joints on the corner and seeing the cut line all the way around. This will take away from the look and the wood seal is not as air tight. You would also loose the available storage in the lid as well. The only time you see the seal is when it's open and since it is in a groove, it looks very clean. There really is nothing to justify taking away from the rest of the humidor to make a lesser seal. :thumbs:

Again, I do like the idea of the leather. Maybe put it over the gasket I use now to still give it that spring back to help the seal.

Chris

Doesn't matter look at his desktops.....isn't that a desktop in this thread? Cabinets are a different animal altogether. I just don't think you picked a good example....
Why is that a bad example?

I have an Aristocrat that has a foam tape seal around the body that is held closed by magnets on the top and bottom of the door. No one would argue the level of quality of Bob's humidors as many members here own them and rave about their ability to maintain a constant humidity. HM's desktops utilize the same set up on a desktop.

They're both wooden boxes, lined with Spanish Cedar, attempting to hold a humid environment of 55% to 75%...other than the size, what is the difference?