• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The flavors in a cigar? Maybe u can help

Skinwalker

is it inexperience of not smoking cigars for years. Is it messed up taste buds. Or am I just not doing it right. I read reviews of what people taste in a cigar but I pickup none of that. Any help??

Some can, some can't and I'm sure some pretend to have the ability to taste every nuance of a cigar. It's not something that I'd stress over, enjoy the cigar for what it is. I get tired of reading reviews of people who say they can taste hay or the sweat from the virgins thighs. I taste tobacco and I'm ok with that.

Sometimes a flavor will jump up and slap you, but mostly for me, they just taste good or bad.

Also, your drink pairing can affect the flavors you pick up.

I agree with Bfreebern and I'm in the same boat as Scap. For that reason I don't try any of the passes that require a review.
P.S. Don't get ole' Doc started on this.

When I used to smoke more frequently I could pick up more nuances in a cigar. Now it seems cigars tend to be either "good" or "whatever". If I smoked more often or put more care and thought into it, those things might come back. But feeling a cigar is good or no good tends to be sufficient enough for me. Don't need to make it more complicated. Just my observation.

On the occasion when I'm asked to pen a review, I always refer to a 'flavor wheel' to help me put words to the tastes. Very common for wine and food folks, this one is pretty good. Gets you thinking about what you are tasting:

http://www.cigarinspector.com/images/misc/cigar-flavors-wheel-large.png

You can also refer to a comment I made that I put in my sig line.....:D

On the occasion when I'm asked to pen a review, I always refer to a 'flavor wheel' to help me put words to the tastes. Very common for wine and food folks, this one is pretty good. Gets you thinking about what you are tasting:

http://www.cigarinspector.com/images/misc/cigar-flavors-wheel-large.png

You can also refer to a comment I made that I put in my sig line.....:D

Love that wheel, thanks for posting it up. One shortcoming though, no French Burnt Peanuts on the wheel, a very common flavor in both wine and cigars....:D

Some can, some can't and I'm sure some pretend to have the ability to taste every nuance of a cigar. It's not something that I'd stress over, enjoy the cigar for what it is. I get tired of reading reviews of people who say they can taste hay or the sweat from the virgins thighs. I taste tobacco and I'm ok with that.

Wonder what they would call that cigar? Lmao. That's awesome "

Love that wheel, thanks for posting it up. One shortcoming though, no French Burnt Peanuts on the wheel, a very common flavor in both wine and cigars....:D
LMAO, it's got peanuts, if not the 'French Burnt' variety......:D

Basically you just relate how the smoke tastes to other stuff you've tasted, and fancy it up a little bit for the noobs. ;)

My palate palette (see what I did there? :p ) is basically limited to cedar, pepper, spice, cocoa, leather, coffee bean, and tobacco. Mostly I judge a cigar by whether it's strong, dark, and rich tasting. I like the asskickers and full-body contact high sticks. o_O

~Boar

Just saw this, and thought it would fit here pretty well.
cigarwheel1.jpg.606f26f7e8e0675a49c974e1da917bc0.jpg

I do think it's possible to identify some basic flavors, the rest is just an exercise of expanding and practicing your vocabulary. I do encourage people to try the blind tasting review pass at least just once simply for the experience of trying to articulate what you are sensing when you enjoy a good cigar. It ain't easy.

I got some toasty popcorn flavor the other night for a little while. It was a good cigar.

I'm in the "I like it" or "I don't like it" camp, for the most part. Most cigars taste like tobacco and smoke to me (imagine that), with some being much more pleasant than others. Every now and then I'll get a few distinct notes and flavors come through on a draw, but I've only ever had one cigar that blew me away and made me feel I was finally experiencing all these things you read about in the reviews.

I'm in the "I like it" or "I don't like it" camp, for the most part. Most cigars taste like tobacco and smoke to me (imagine that), with some being much more pleasant than others. Every now and then I'll get a few distinct notes and flavors come through on a draw, but I've only ever had one cigar that blew me away and made me feel I was finally experiencing all these things you read about in the reviews.
Which one was that?