• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Frank Method

yanksfan

Someone directed me to this on youtube. Anyone familiar with it? Also, is it a good idea to use a torch to light a pipe? Linky

I saw the tilte and thought this was about Gator meltdowns. :sign:

I saw the tilte and thought this was about Gator meltdowns. :sign:

Ohhh, snap!!

What is a "tilte"? Is it a French way of saying "tilt"? Or perhaps this should read "tithe" and what pray would they have to do with cigars?! :sign:

I thought the same thing John........

The Frank method works well for me. Better with English blends over Aromatics, but effective on both.

I have not used a torch like he does in the video. I would not want to risk burning the rim of my pipe. Best to use a soft flame in my opinion.

The frank method works very well with many blends. I think every person does it a little differently so it may work better for some with certain blends than it does with others. It also depends on the pipe. I find it quite difficult to use on any pipe that has an irregular rim or a deeper bowl. I use it mainly with ribbon cuts and blends with a lot of Latakia or Orientals. I've had difficulty with cubed cut Burleys and rubbed out flake. (I don't rub out my flake anymore anyway, the fold and stuff works better for me.)

Like most things, experimentation and development of your own "version" is the best part of the game.

My first impression was finger exercises for putting tobacco in a pipe is way over the top. Come on, we're not talking about playing the piano.

The packing technique itself works pretty well.

The lighting technique with a torch is nuts!

I think someone should tell Frank that there is no German Olympic pipe packing team ;)

I'm still trying to perfect it.
It took me a few tries to get it to my liking. I wouldn't worry so much about "perfecting" his method, I would concentrate more on making it work for you on your terms. Once that happens, it makes smoking some blends in some pipes a real pleasure.

Good luck!

I'm still trying to perfect it.
It took me a few tries to get it to my liking. I wouldn't worry so much about "perfecting" his method, I would concentrate more on making it work for you on your terms. Once that happens, it makes smoking some blends in some pipes a real pleasure.

Good luck!

I should have said, packing a bowl in general, is what I'm still trying to perfect. The last one I did smoke, I only had to relight twice, so it's getting better.