• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Funniest Fakes I've Ever Seen

Marito

So the guy and his wife who clean the office in which I work are a real sweet Columbian couple. He and I have made friends and sit down occassionally when I'm working late for a smoke in my office. So they go to the DR for a vacation and he brings me back a freezer-size ziplock of "Cubans" to thank me for all the smokes. As soon as he tells me what he's done I know they are fakes before he even pulls out the bag, but when I see them it's all I can do to stop from rolling on the floor with tears coming down my cheeks from laughter. The contents include a bunch of "Cohibas" -- I think they are supposed to be Robustos as that's the size they are closest to. They are soft as sponges, the wrapper is almost green and the bands are all over the place. Other "Cubans" include some "Montes" that feel like wooden sticks and some "Partegas" that smell like hay. These are the funniest things I have ever seen. I didn't mention a word of this to him as the thought was really from his heart. I told him I would let them rest for a while in my humi (no way do these even get in the same room as my sticks) and that we would share them in the future (when I plan on substituting some real Cohiba Robustos. I will try to take some pics and post them next week. To see them is a real gas.

I just went through a similar situation where a Colleague (and friend) of mine returned from a Carribean trip and had boxes of the very (in)famous Glass Top Cohibas as a souvenier of his trip.... I thought I was safe when he offered me one as a gift - I took it and thanked him properly --however, he then told me that he had set aside a box for me and of course, he would only charge what he actually paid. :0 :0 :0

I tried to song and dance my way out of the situation but he would not let the matter drop - so I let him explore several Cigar Forum postings and published pictures of these very well known and infamous fakes at which point he realized that he was taken.... I was very much afraid that this incident would put a strain in our dealings - but much to his credit - my buddy has gotten past this unfortunate incident very nicely....BTW - I have no idea what he is doing with the 8 boxes he said he bought...

8 boxes wow that must be a tough one to swallow. What's always sad about that situation is the people buying are almost never getting them for themselves.

Seems like a real nice people he and his wife are, sure was good of yah to realize he had tried.

K&P

Marito said:
So the guy and his wife who clean the office in which I work are a real sweet Columbian couple. He and I have made friends and sit down occassionally when I'm working late for a smoke in my office. So they go to the DR for a vacation and he brings me back a freezer-size ziplock of "Cubans" to thank me for all the smokes. As soon as he tells me what he's done I know they are fakes before he even pulls out the bag, but when I see them it's all I can do to stop from rolling on the floor with tears coming down my cheeks from laughter. The contents include a bunch of "Cohibas" -- I think they are supposed to be Robustos as that's the size they are closest to. They are soft as sponges, the wrapper is almost green and the bands are all over the place. Other "Cubans" include some "Montes" that feel like wooden sticks and some "Partegas" that smell like hay. These are the funniest things I have ever seen. I didn't mention a word of this to him as the thought was really from his heart. I told him I would let them rest for a while in my humi (no way do these even get in the same room as my sticks) and that we would share them in the future (when I plan on substituting some real Cohiba Robustos. I will try to take some pics and post them next week. To see them is a real gas.
[snapback]220904[/snapback]​

Great story. I have a similar one. A very good friend of mine also went to the DR in early 2005. He brought back some cigars, of course. He had some Monte No. 2s that looked to have Conn/shade wrappers (or candela)...they just looked nasty. He also brought back some R&J churchills...of course they were robustos (in size) and had R&J churchill bands on them. :D They were the funniest things I have ever seen in the "fake-cigar-department." What made me think of this is that I think these are the same as your Cohibas. Very spongy and almost green in their wrapper shade. Smelled horrible as well. He gave me a bag full of them. I have not been able to bring myself to smoke them. Fact is, after watching his face as he smoked one, I won't let him smoke them anymore either. :p

Great stories! :D

You guys have your hearts in the right places. :thumbs:

I'd love to see pictures too.

Wilkey

It's to bad that your friend paid big money for those 8 boxes of cigars. :angry:
I hate scamming lying cockroaches that sit back and wait for some kind hearted person doing something special for a friend.

Where's my pistol

Has anybody smoked these fakes? I wonder if they taste as bad as they look…

hey, I am a victim as well. :p I was in Costa Rica back in Jan 04 and at
this time I was not a smoker...My brother had been smoking for about 4 years.

I was strolling in downtown San Jose when I seen a cigar shop... so I went in
and seen a glasstop box of esplendidos for 80.00 U.S, pulled out my wallet
and said hell yeah, my brothers going to like these. I got back and gave
them to my brother "Tell me you Didn't pay 500.00 for these"

Yes, I was duped, but you live and you learn!! I'm just glad I didn't pay
500.00 :p And yes Elvergun, There horrible. How can they pass these off as
Esplendidos is beyond me!!! At least they should put some effort into it.

Sidewinder

If he still has a box i'd buy two of them from him for 20 bucks apiece. I want one for a collection and one to smoke. LOL Have to try them. Or I can do a trade for some non isom's. I have a bunch that I just don't really think about smoking anymore.