• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Glenrothes Select Reserve (Single speyside malt)

Macion Grey

the Libertine
The ever redoubtable AVB recommended I pick up the 1991 Genrothes to try, but I have yet to place an order for it (only available online). When I was in my local liquor store picking up my always disappearing gin stock replacement bottle, I happened upon this little gem (one box left) and snatched it up straight away. This was the first time I had seen it stocked in your run of the mill liquor store. What a pleasant surprise.

This has the same addictive smoothness that the Macallan Fine Oak series exhibits, but with a bigger hint of spice and a slightly juicier fruit tone as well.

The nose is very honeyed and inviting without a trace of harshness. It would be best described as plump raisins, honey and mild white pepper. The taste reminded me of the lemon zests I use in my oft-consumed martinis, mixed with a distinct juicy fruit core and an exquisite hazelnut milk chocolate overtone. Silky smooth and very approachable.

If this is a preview of the Glenrothes Vintages quality... sign me up for all I can get my hands on.

Oh yes.

I am not that experienced with the single malts but I did have this one. It was actually the first bottle I every purchased (just a couple months ago). I was looking for a speyside malt and this was actually all that the store had. So I went for it and boy did I get lucky. I guess as a new single malt drinker its a lot better to start out with something good than to have a bad experience and then be completely turned off. I think your review was dead on. I liked this stuff so much that i have purchased three more bottles as gifts (one for a BOTL, one for my boss, and another for a friend of my mom's). I am looking forward to trying some other single malts after the holidays.

I am not that experienced with the single malts but I did have this one. It was actually the first bottle I every purchased (just a couple months ago). I was looking for a speyside malt and this was actually all that the store had. So I went for it and boy did I get lucky. I guess as a new single malt drinker its a lot better to start out with something good than to have a bad experience and then be completely turned off. I think your review was dead on. I liked this stuff so much that i have purchased three more bottles as gifts (one for a BOTL, one for my boss, and another for a friend of my mom's). I am looking forward to trying some other single malts after the holidays.

Certainly an excellent start on your journey into single malts.

I am definitely excited to get my hands on the Glenrothes vintage bottlings, if this younger dram is so excellent.

Edited to omit the exorbitant usage of the word 'certainly'.

I've reviewed both the 1972 and 1974 vintages if you want to see my take one their older bottlings.

I have a bottle of the '72 and love it, but try to save it for special occasions now as it is hard to find. I've been interested in giving the Select Reserve a try because of its cheaper price and I've also been tossing around picking up either the '91 or newly bottled '85. Decisions...

Thanks for the review, sounds like the Select Reserve is a winner.

sounds great.... got a friend who loves her Scotch, and I don't mind a wee dram meself once in a while - I'll have to see about picking up some of this at the local 'in and out' store :)

I picked up a bottle of this at my local liquor/cigar store (nice combo, eh?).

Anyway, it is quite possibly the most foul fluid that has ever hit my tongue. It reminds me of Murphy's Oil Soap or some other disinfectant type cleaner.

I cannot imagine why this bottle is so foul though. Maybe it is only 3 years old or something, because there is no "years of age" on the bottle.

Anyway, if anyone wants a 1 litre minus a shot bottle of this, let me know. Or if you can provide some guidance as to why it is so foul, I'd be interested. Is this a typical Speyside?

I haven't seen a full liter bottle of this, where did you get it? As for being foul it is possible to have a bad cork although it isn't common. Most people "in the know" say that the Select Reserve is a vatting of 6-8 year old scotch and I tend to agree with that. If you want to send me a sample I'll check it out against the one I have here and let you know what I think.

I picked up a bottle of this at my local liquor/cigar store (nice combo, eh?).

Anyway, it is quite possibly the most foul fluid that has ever hit my tongue. It reminds me of Murphy's Oil Soap or some other disinfectant type cleaner.

I cannot imagine why this bottle is so foul though. Maybe it is only 3 years old or something, because there is no "years of age" on the bottle.

Anyway, if anyone wants a 1 litre minus a shot bottle of this, let me know. Or if you can provide some guidance as to why it is so foul, I'd be interested. Is this a typical Speyside?

I haven't seen a full liter bottle of this, where did you get it? As for being foul it is possible to have a bad cork although it isn't common. Most people "in the know" say that the Select Reserve is a vatting of 6-8 year old scotch and I tend to agree with that. If you want to send me a sample I'll check it out against the one I have here and let you know what I think.

Ooops, you're right AVB. It is only a 750mL bottle. Forgive me for the false volume.

PM sent about the sample.