• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The great Fyodor blind taste test!

I think Alex's point comes back to sample size. "The Indians I saw walked single file, therefore all Indians walk single file" While this thread is entertaining, it provides for speculation, but supports no valid conclusions. I believe you are conducting this test elsewhere. Will you be summarizing all the tests?

I understand his point; but there's an inference there that more additional tasters might end up with better results... I'm not sure I agree.

Anyway, I'm not running a scientific case study here. I'm running a blind taste test with an individual, to possibly alter some of his preconceptions, have some fun along the way, and perhaps suggest to the gentle reader that they might wish to try their own blind taste test... to see if their preferences really match their perceptions as well.

If you want double-blind scientific case study, this isn't it. The only thing being "proved" is personal to Fyodor... everyone else, enjoy the test, and perhaps it'll get you thinking...

This is one of the best threads I've seen in a while. I just picked up a few of the Cabaiguan line at a B&M yesterday, and after that review I'm pretty excited about smoking them! I'm a big fan of smooth, creamy, flavorful cigars. I've actually been on the hunt for some more of that profile to try since I mainly have been getting strong, spicy cigars lately.

D

Sorry Moki. Wrapper is Conn. Ecuador.......

I do like the outcome of the test though.....

Cheers to Fyodor for stepping up......

LMAO :laugh: Hey ya Pete! Good to see you chiming in.. I'll just see if Moki needs a napkin to wipe off some of that egg on his face.. :rolleyes:

Hey Pete, you going to be in Tucson for the Tatuaje event at McMahon's Steakhouse on the 22nd?

Funny thing is, it says that right on my vitolas.net web page that I linked to... too many drinks in Vegas... Oh well, at least it is rolled in the USA... Ill edit the post... :)

BTW, Pete, this is what the other guy said about the Cabaiguan WCD 120 in his blind taste test. He thought it was Cuban too...

I hope its OK with u Moki...cut n pasted your comments from the other blind taste test at the other forum

"....As I said before, I don't view this as your failing at all... but rather the failing of preconceptions regarding any mythical "Cuban cigar profile" or the inherent superiority of Cuban cigars (even to those who profess to love them exclusively). ...... "

Which was the reason why I stepped away from the All-Cubans environment here in Asia a couple of years ago into your boards at CP and CF in an effort to open my eyes and mind to the rest of the cigar world.

Some friends were like "Are you CRAZY ??!! You're trading away your Cuban cigars for non-Cuban cigars??!!"

I have had NO regrets so far (well except maybe the Smokin Toad cigars I gotten once in exchange for some RASS) Trading for, outright buying them and getting bombed with non-Cuban smokes (whether wonderful/good/so-so/bad)was the best thing that could have happened to me..... that the world is SO much bigger and diverse than Cuba.

But dont get me wrong, that does not mean that I do not like Cuban cigars.... just that there's a whole world of other cigars that I really enjoy as well

Peace all...

Don't listen to him Moki! Talking like he knows about Tatuajes or something !?!?!? :)

Seth

I hope its OK with u Moki...cut n pasted your comments from the other blind taste test at the other forum

"....As I said before, I don't view this as your failing at all... but rather the failing of preconceptions regarding any mythical "Cuban cigar profile" or the inherent superiority of Cuban cigars (even to those who profess to love them exclusively). ...... "

Which was the reason why I stepped away from the All-Cubans environment here in Asia a couple of years ago into your boards at CP and CF in an effort to open my eyes and mind to the rest of the cigar world.

Some friends were like "Are you CRAZY ??!! You're trading away your Cuban cigars for non-Cuban cigars??!!"

I have had NO regrets so far (well except maybe the Smokin Toad cigars I gotten once in exchange for some RASS) Trading for, outright buying them and getting bombed with non-Cuban smokes (whether wonderful/good/so-so/bad)was the best thing that could have happened to me..... that the world is SO much bigger and diverse than Cuba.

But dont get me wrong, that does not mean that I do not like Cuban cigars.... just that there's a whole world of other cigars that I really enjoy as well

Peace all...

Bolded and italicized my me.

I think that is the key here and, in my opinion, the point. It's easy for all of us to get a bit blindered by things we know we like and to begin to pursue them in an exclusionary manner. You know, stuff like this:

I hate Harleys.
I am a PC guy.
Techno sucks.
I don't drink organic milk.
<Insert name here> cigars are the best.

Personal preferences are all well and good but when they start to close our minds and dim our willingness to try new things then they become nothing more than simple conceits based on old conceptions that may not have been challenged in a very long time. We all change perpetually. Our attitudes, tastes, and desires evolve over time so it stands to reason that our preference in cigars might change as well. That's why exercises like this taste test and the often surprising reults they yield are so cool. They remind us all that there is more out there than we can ever know. Hey, the next cigar you smoke just might be your new favorite...

I have enjoyed reading Moki's threads on this and I hope they keep going. It's way cool to see someone discover something new and it always makes me rethink what I "know".

Full disclosure: I also love Cubans and count some of them among my favorites. I have also smoked some that I thought were unappealing. And I certainly have a whole raft of US market smokes that I dearly love as well. Do I think there is a Cuban flavor profile? Tough question. I will hedge and say that I find many similarities in the Cubans that I like. I also find the same thing with many of the Nicaraguans and Dominicans that I enjoy. However, in all of those cases I have found some from those regions that do not fit the mold. And I have occaisionally found some from one country that seem to be from another. I guess I would say that there seem to be broad regional (national?) trends that are not hard and fast rules but that seem to be generaly applicable.

I'll add that I am fairly certain I would get my ass handed to me in a test like this. When friends have given me new cigars I have found that I had no better luck than a coin toss in guessing where they were from.

Anyway, my .02

Peace all...

Well stated, Eddie... but you're more open minded than your average bear... perhaps because you're so well traveled. Or perhaps you're so well traveled, because you're open minded.

Either way, the goal is to get to what is real. Ignore the fancy bands, the historic blends, the group-think of what's good and what isn't... and see what's left standing when the peripheral trappings are removed, and all you have to consider is the taste.

Anyway, I hope Fyodor is feeling better soon, both for his sake, and for the sake of the blind taste test! :)

Cigar no.3

O.k. I'm not sure if Moki is trying to kill me or what but this cigar just isn't right. To be honest I only smoked about one inch but I can't go on. This cigar is harsh, bitter and has a rough bite to it. It has hints of dirt and a little cedar(seriously). It tunnels something awful. So Moki will probably inform me it's a Cuban Davidoff or something but even if it is I don't know if I'll pick it back up and try it again. I found this cigar frightening. Because it's so bad it's probably Cuban and Moki is trying to prove a point with it But I'm gonna guess it was made in a country not meant to be growing tobacco. Maybe a fake Cuban? Sorry for forfeiting this one but I have no choice. I sure hope this was meant as a joke, otherwise I certainly got a bad specimen.

Verdict- nonCuban

Cigar no.3

O.k. I'm not sure if Moki is trying to kill me or what but this cigar just isn't right. To be honest I only smoked about one inch but I can't go on. This cigar is harsh, bitter and has a rough bite to it. It has hints of dirt and a little cedar(seriously). It tunnels something awful. So Moki will probably inform me it's a Cuban Davidoff or something but even if it is I don't know if I'll pick it back up and try it again. I found this cigar frightening. Because it's so bad it's probably Cuban and Moki is trying to prove a point with it But I'm gonna guess it was made in a country not meant to be growing tobacco. Maybe a fake Cuban? Sorry for forfeiting this one but I have no choice. I sure hope this was meant as a joke, otherwise I certainly got a bad specimen.

Verdict- nonCuban

LOL...what's the size? Sounds like how I feel about some San Cristobals I've smoked.

Cigar no.3

Verdict- nonCuban

LOL...what's the size? Sounds like how I feel about some San Cristobals I've smoked.

It was like no San Cristobal I've ever had. I'm o.k. with those.

#1 - Cuban Montecristo Tubos 1970s -- (5/10) guessed non-Cuban, Domincan or Honduran - Incorrect
#2 - non-Cuban Cabaiguan WCD 120 -- (9/10) guessed Cuban - Incorrect

Score: Cigars 2, Fyodor 0

And to think he reviewed a Cabaiguan CE and posted about it.

Great thread so far :thumbs:

First, just because you smoke a cigar doesn't by any means guarantee you will be able to pick it out blindly.

Second, the WCD is a different blend.

Third, I'm not exactly an expert at this if you haven't noticed. :whistling:

WOW!

Also, wanted to ask the question, am I the only person that doesn't taste the cuban "twang" that so many people talk about? I know I would fail this test.

#1 - Cuban Montecristo Tubos 1970s -- (5/10) guessed non-Cuban, Domincan or Honduran - Incorrect
#2 - non-Cuban Cabaiguan WCD 120 -- (9/10) guessed Cuban - Incorrect

Score: Cigars 2, Fyodor 0

And to think he reviewed a Cabaiguan CE and posted about it.

Great thread so far :thumbs:

First, just because you smoke a cigar doesn't by any means guarantee you will be able to pick it out blindly.

Second, the WCD is a different blend.

Third, I'm not exactly an expert at this if you haven't noticed. :whistling:

Just bustin' on you bro.