• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The ongoing search for your first pipe OR your next pipe...

GRAY GHOST

There’s dozens of pipe makers out there (Dunhill, Savinelli, Bjarne, Peterson, Jirsa, Brebbia…on and on). While browsing through webpages of various pipes, I realized this would be a lot easier if I knew which brands were ‘known’ for certain shapes, styles, or cost thresholds.

For example, I’m sure there’s a brand of pipemaker who may be known for their Bulldog shapes? So and so makes great Churchwardens? The best quality rusticated pipes are made by Brand X? I could go on and on with styles. My question is what are the “reputations” of the many pipe brands so I can know where to look when I’m looking for a specific shape? A reputable pipemaker can probably make all of the shapes in good quality, but there’s gotta be an industry leader with each of the styles, right? I realize this could be very opinionated, but a ‘reputation’ is something that is supportable and known.

If there’s a webpage link someone can post, or just downright experience they can relay on this thread, I think that would be a help to all who are searching for a new pipe....
In addition to the above help, a breakdown of typical costs by brands would help pipe buyers know which brands to look at within their budget:
<$50 (Brand X,A,S,F)
$50-$100 (Brand F,T,Y,C)
$100-200 (Brand G,N,M)
$300+ (Brand V,$, Z)

There may be a website with all of this info? If you are aware, please share. Otherwise post your experience.
Thanks

I currently have a Nording, and its a good pipe. The most talked about on here is the J. M. Boswell line of pipes, and that is what I am wanting to get. I would suggest one of those from what I have heard.
B

I don't at all have any experience in this area but while searching on the web it seems to me the Danish are good for making nice looking freehand pipes. I wonder if they are the best known for that kind of style. These are the pipes I've been most interested in acquiring along with the Boswells. The Japanese seem to make a lot of oddball pipes as well. But like I said I really know nothing on the subject and I hope it's not too presumptuous of me to add to this topic.

The problem with breaking it down by price is that many makers have offerings in each price range. For example a maker like Peterson has pipes starting at around $50 or so online and have examples in every range up to $300 or more. Most of the makers are like this.

As for what makers make the best of certain shapes, I'm not sure about that as I don't have a great deal of experience in trying many examples from many dealers in the same shapes. In my experience you can get a great pipe from any of the well known manufacturers in any shape. You may get a dud here and there, but for the most part a well established pipe maker is not going to put out a poor quality product. There may be differences that fall under preference, but the quality of most pipes are going to be fairly equal when staying in the same price range. Once you get into handmade artisan pipes there is a high likelihood that you will not find a dud as most makers in that class are very meticulous. Their reputations depend on putting out high quality pipes.

Each pipe is different too. I have 2 Wally Frank bent apples. One smokes incredibly well while the other is a worthless piece of crap. Granted, both are estates and their prior experience may effect that, but the worthless pipe was actually almost mint when I got it.

Each pipe is different too. I have 2 Wally Frank bent apples. One smokes incredibly well while the other is a worthless piece of crap. Granted, both are estates and their prior experience may effect that, but the worthless pipe was actually almost mint when I got it.

I am just getting into pipes and I was wondering, what makes the other Wally Frank pipe a "worthless piece of crap"? I'm just wondering because I am looking to start my pipe collection and wondering what characteristics make a pipe a good or bad smoker.

I am just getting into pipes and I was wondering, what makes the other Wally Frank pipe a "worthless piece of crap"? I'm just wondering because I am looking to start my pipe collection and wondering what characteristics make a pipe a good or bad smoker.
It smokes really wet and I've yet to get a bowl to smoke to the bottom. I could get it fixed, but it only cost me about $8 on eBay, so I'm not going to bother. I have plenty of other really great pipes.

I've been wanting to try a metal pipe so I ordered a Kirsten Mariner.. I like the way it looks.. Reminds me of some of the "pipes" I had when I was a kid back in the 80's :whistling:.. It wasn't expensive ($50 new) so even if it smokes bad, it will look cool in the collection...

A Medico Apollo Brylon Pipe was my very first pipe outside of the corn cob one that my B&M first sold me. It's a good pipe and I think it was around 25$ when I first got it, really cant complain about it still use it to this day and it's still smokes like it is as good as new.

-Eric