• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The online hell known as PP

Jonesy

Got Ink ?
So, today I was going to buy my son a jersey off of the great online auction site so I decided to check my PP account to check if there was any money in there. When I signed in, a screen popped up asking me to verify my CC# and full checking account # for security reasons. I thought this was awfully strange so I decided to call them to make sure it was them wanting this and not some site I'd been redirected to by a third party trying to steal my info. I got in touch with them, found out it was them, so I went through the steps to do this and access my account. The first thing I see is a payment to "Payment Processing Inc." for $200. Knowing this wasn't mine, I told the lady on the phone. She then told me this was the reason that I was asked for the info on my accounts so they could actually "verify" me before any more transactions went through. She then told me that the money should just be let go through the channels and when it reached them, they wouldn't let it be transeferred to the next party "providing they could offer a plausible explanation". (Well, I tried the phone # and guess what...disconnected). I'm sure they will be quick to respond to PP's e-mails also.

I then asked what protocol was for PP in handling these situations and she promptly told me that she couldn't go into detail on what they do in a fraud case. I'm thinking "what the hell lady, it's my money that's been taken, I deserve to know what steps you guys are going through to resolve this situation and make sure it doesn't happen again". The only thing that I liked about the conversation is that PP will be sending me a smart card with a changing numeric password that is only good for 1 minute "free of charge".

Lesson being, keep an eye on your account. Not sure how this happened to me, but if I didn't buy so much stuff off of the auction site where PP is the ONLY method of payment now, I'd shitcan this account.

Sorry to hear about this. :( I hope they find the asshole who did this and string him up by his balls....or something similarily as torturous.

I've had some serious issues in the past w/PP, so much so that I quit with them for quite some time. I did open the account back up as it's easy to send/receive funds, however it makes me nervous every time I use 'em. Hope it gets resolved for ya quick Brian!

As a side note to others that use paypal or ebay, the security key brian is talking about can be purchased for $5 or you can get a similar type of security by using your mobile phone. They just text you the key instead. Mobile phone one is free. Its probably worthy to have one or the other.

Sorry to hear about this Brian. Keep on them and make sure they don't slack. My brothers bank account was hacked a few years ago and completely emptied. If he didn't stay on top of it they probably wouldn't have done anything.

Brian...you and I have went down this road last year when my DC (tied to the PP acct) was stolen and 5 fraudulent charges were made before my bank caught it. They immediately refunded my money and finally said the breach occurred at PP....PP denied it did!

Gee, who do I believe...Wachovia Bank or PP? :whistling:

I hate them with a passion....

Good luck with your Royal PITA.

When my bank changed my Debit Card number, PP couldn't find the solution to edit out my old one. I tried and tried doing it myself and it wouldn't let me. I had to cancel my old PP account that I had so many transactions on. I was pretty pissed off but unfortunately, I need PP here and there so I reopened a new account. I couldn't believe they couldn't add my new card number to the account.

So in short...don't hold your breath they will even catch the person that did this to you. Hopefully you will get your money back. But I don't see PP will be able to find out who actually did it.

Sorry to hear this happened to you.

For over a year the only acct info payPal had for me was my credit card. I did that because my credit card is totally awesome with fraudulent charges. Once my wife wanted to sell some crap I had to give them my bank acct info to be verified. I have half a mind to close my acct if they won't let me remove the my bank info.

I was able to remove my bank acct information.

Sorry to hear about this. :( I hope they find the asshole who did this and string him up by his balls....or something similarily as torturous.

They won't. They don't care who got the money or who did it. Hell, from experience I can tell you they don't even care the money is missing! They got their 3.5%, and it will essentially be left up to Brian to do what he can to get the money back.

Fingers crossed....I just checked my account and it's showing a reversal for the transaction and a tempory hold on the $200 that has come out of my bank account. It looks from what I can tell, I'll have access to the $200 in 3-5 days. Thank goodness I wasn't hurting for money.

Also another related PayPal thing, the one time use cards they have in their plug in for browsers. Well, are not really one time use. They can be used up to four times as long as it's from the same place you used it the first time as I found out.

Thanks for the HU.

I haven't had trouble yet but I hate that I am forced, in many cases, to use this "better and safer" payment option.

This is why I don't have a PP account, and don't do business with companies that require that payment format.

Yes, I have to pass on some things I would like to have, but for me, it's just not worth it.

I have only had great experiences with PP, and on at least two occasions they went above and beyond the call of duty for me.

The first was a long time ago I was adding $300 from my checking to my PP, and I called letting them know I need the money asap, and they floated me the cash no questions asked.

The second was when I used the PP card to pay for a hotel room in FL, the hotel placed a hold of like $800 on the card, freezing almost 80% of the funds I had in there.

I conference called both PP, and the Hotel management, and they worked it out with no hiccups.

I use PP weekly to bill, and send people cash, not to mention I carry their debit card. Here is a pic I found online of the old card (blue) and new card (gray).

paypal_debitcard_new2.jpg

Some benefits are;

• Earn 1% cash back everytime you make a purchase (you have to be enrolled in the PayPal Preferred Rewards Program).

• 100% protection against unauthorized charges (fraud and theft)

• No annual fees

• The PayPal Debit Card lets you withdraw money from any ATM and make debit purchases with your PIN number.

All in all Brian, glad to hear that your issue is being resolved. :)

I have a rule that I don't give out access to my bank accounts. A credit card is one thing, I'm not actually out any money until I pay the bill, but online withdrawals from my bank accounts seems very dangerous to me. If the bad guys get access to those accounts, they can be drained of all funds.