• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Opus or Beast?

cabaiguan juan

Vote Panda 2024
Opus are in this week and I picked up a few. I had one at the store since its been a while since I've had one and todate this is my 3rd Opus since I started smoking. I had the Perfection #5 and it sucked. It started off strong and spicy with out any real flavor. Half way through it just lost all spicyness and was just strong tobacco smoke. Now in searching I found that this is probably due to them being overly humidified. However, I've had this happen before with one that I had in my coolidor at 65% for a month. My question is are Opus the kind of cigar that you age before smoking or did I just have two that were duds? I'd like to hear peoples thoughts on smoking an Opus fresh from the box or B&M verses smoking them after a few months or so.

I've had a few Opus that were not up to par, but with that said, I've always aged mine a few months before smoking. It is one of the most consistant cigars out there. Unfortunately you will get a dud or two, but how would you know if you don't smoke 'em. I've been to the OpusX aging room and rolling @ Chateau de la Fuente in the D.R. and I'll tell you for a fact, that they are serious about quality control.

Now, here in Vegas, you can get Opus X all year round. Problem is, you'll pay for it. But since they are here, sometimes, they've been sitting in the B&M humidor for weeks, if not months aging before they're purchased.

I've had a few Opus that were not up to par, but with that said, I've always aged mine a few months before smoking. It is one of the most consistant cigars out there. Unfortunately you will get a dud or two, but how would you know if you don't smoke 'em. I've been to the OpusX aging room and rolling @ Chateau de la Fuente in the D.R. and I'll tell you for a fact, that they are serious about quality control.

Now, here in Vegas, you can get Opus X all year round. Problem is, you'll pay for it. But since they are here, sometimes, they've been sitting in the B&M humidor for weeks, if not months aging before they're purchased.

I think since I have them that I'll hold onto them for a while and see how they change. I hope they were dud's or that it was b/c of the humidity, because for all the hype I'm currently really disappointed.

Opus X is not for everyone. Some like it, some don't. I never believe the hype on any cigar because my palate is different than the next guy. It's all about preference.

I love cuban cigars, but I'm not a fan of Cohibas. Let them sit, then whenever you feel like have a nice smoke, grab the Opus and enjoy.

I let fuente Sungrowns sit for atleast 6 months. If they are younger than that, I usually don't enjoy them as well.

Try letting an opus sit for 6 months, let one sit for a year, and then smoke a freshie.

Opus X is not for everyone. Some like it, some don't. I never believe the hype on any cigar because my palate is different than the next guy. It's all about preference.

I love cuban cigars, but I'm not a fan of Cohibas. Let them sit, then whenever you feel like have a nice smoke, grab the Opus and enjoy.

OpuzXMarco is wise. Hype is a great reason to buy three or four cigars of a particular blend. Hype is never a reason to go buy a box of something you've never tried. More often than not that just leads to F/S threads.

Opus are not for everyone. Personally I used to buy all the Opus I could get just to trade for hemingway maduros. I just don't like the blend. Different strokes for different folks I guess. And, I am with Marco again on the Cohibas, you guys can have em.

Have to agree with Marco and Fish....let em sit awhile. I rarely smoke a Opus with less then 6 months to a year under they're belt.That's not to say I won't smoke a freshie, but they just taste better with a little time.

Also agree wholeheartedly about the Cohiba's! I've smoked some with over 5 years of rest and they just don't do it for me. I'll take a San Christobal El Principe with 6 months to a year of rest time and go through em like potato chips!

Let them sit for a few months. I put the current crop away in the back of my humidor. I'm now starting to dig into Opus that is 4+ years old.

Exactly what they said, if overhumidified it will smoke awful. Give it some rest time, then see how you like it.

Thank you everyone for weighting in. I'll come back in 6 months and see how the others are. Seams to be general consensus that they need some rest before they are worth smoking. Man, in 6 months or a year I'll be having some awesome smokes, Opus and others. Now I got to take care of my immediate needs!

IMO Opus definitely need some time. But in comparison of two unlike things, I'd rather reach for a Tatuaje Cojonu 2003/2006 considering the price point and availability.