• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Other Cigars of Cuba

DocRKS

This weekend I participated in a different type of Herf...The challenge of this solely Habana product gathering was to bring cigars ONLY from what is describred in some circles as the "2nd Tier" manufacturers... No Montecristo, Partagas, Upmann, HdM, Punch or RyJ allowed..... We were challenged by our host to look for cigars that we thought were not only great tasting - but provided a great "bang for the buck!!!!"

In my case, I brought along a personal favorite - the Sancho Panza Belicoso (CVA AGO02) at just over $6 each.... What an outstanding smoking experience in and of its own right, superb construction, razor sharp burn, a beautifully well balanced and DELICIOUS smoke - AND....coupled with the price - and this cigar represents one of the real GEMS in Habana cigars today....

Our Herf included some other real tasty treats as well - cigars from the JL, Jose Piedra, Cuaba, Diplo, Quai d'Orsay and SCDH lines were brought in addition to my Sancho Belicoso..... granted, not all were to everyone's liking (the Jose Piedra certainly wasn't top on my list although it still delivered that unmistakeable Habana Twang !!)

Very often in discussions regarding cigars - a lot of these "other" players are overlooked as most people gravitate to the product offerings of the Big Boys listed above ---but there is plenty of great cigar enjoyment at some awesome prices available when considering some of the lesser known but still outstanding Habana cigars.

Juan Lopez is my favorite brand. I love them all...PC, Sel. No1, Sel. No2, and the Patricia.

I've yet to try a corona though.

lucasbuck said:
Love those SP Belis :love:
[snapback]213392[/snapback]​

As if anything but a Cohiba ever touches your lips!

SCDH is the most underrated marca IMHO. La Puntas are a great campaña and the El Morros are some of the best DCs out there.

ERDM is another 2nd tier brand that I really enjoy.

That's a great idea for a herf!

I guess my education here has been pretty well-rounded; I have smoked all of those, except Cuaba, plus a few more that aren't listed (like Fonseca). I didn't know much about cubans when I started, so I didn't have any perceptions of first- or second-tier cigars. I tried whatever I could. And found some real gems.

JK

I don't consider most of those you mention to be "second tier", though I suppose that is the general perception. SP, JL, and SCDLH, in particular are excellent in my opinion.

I think what Roman meant was not second-tier by way of how good they are, instead, second-tier as to production levels. These are more commonly referred to as boutique brands and generally have lessor prodiction levels than the more well-known lines.

I have tried almost all of the Isom lines and there are only 2 that I don't care for. Guantanamera and ,curse me if you will, Cohiba. I have even tried a few of the custom rolled jobs and they are great too.

Al Buddy .... are you saying in your last post that you do NOT like the COHIBA line?

cohibasurfer said:
Al Buddy .... are you saying in your last post that you do NOT like the COHIBA line?
[snapback]213546[/snapback]​

Yep! Never had one that I cared for. :blush:

I have a box of Siglo VIs and a box of Robustos. They are both from '05 so I am hoping that it just because they need some age. I do have some nicely aged Cohibas that I got in some trades but have not tried any yet. I also have smoked a Sublime that I did not care for either.

These that I have I will look at as more of a status symbol and will let them age in the back of my humidor for several years. :laugh:

I also enjoy the SP's. I have had both the Non-Plus and the Beli and enjoyed both equally. I had a Juan Lopez Sel. No.1 the other day and it simply blew me away; fantastic smoke!!

I really enjoy the Sancho Panza's a well. In addition, one of my favorite torpedos is the Diplimaticos No. 2. The SCDHs...I'm not so crazy for. I have had a couple that just didn't do it for me. I have also had the RG Corona Extras...very nice mild smoke.

If you haven't tried a Cuaba (and I see that at least one of you hasn't :( ) you owe it to yourself to get ahold of a couple. Small or large, they are a great smoke!

c'mon guys...BOLIVAR

i think what determines 1st and 2nd and 3rd tier...is the market distribution.1st tier=global distribution...2nd tier=almost worldwide...3rd tier =niche markets.

all el's are brands with global distribution=1st tier

bolivar are available everywhere but spain(probably never see a boli el)=2nd tier

stuff for english markets like erdm used to be etc=3rd tier

derrek :)

Great idea for a herf Roman!!

My 2nd tier favorites are:

Qd'O
RG
SLR
RA
SCdlH

I also like SP, JL & an occasional Cuaba.

Now that I think about it, I think I just gave you my overall top five, including the "big guys" :p

No mention of Vegas Robaino? The Famosos are still one of my go to robustos.

Atuck, please send the Cohibas my way...I'm a nut for the Siglo VIs and (ahem)I've got some Jose Piedra Brevas to trade. :whistling:

moki said:
lucasbuck said:
Love those SP Belis :love:
[snapback]213392[/snapback]​

As if anything but a Cohiba ever touches your lips!
[snapback]213397[/snapback]​

It's fun to slum every once in a while. Sometimes I even lower myself to an Opus or Anejo :p

Strayvector said:
No mention of Vegas Robaino? The Famosos are still one of my go to robustos.

Atuck, please send the Cohibas my way...I'm a nut for the Siglo VIs and (ahem)I've got some Jose Piedra Brevas to trade. :whistling:
[snapback]214360[/snapback]​

The VR line is my favorite! :thumbs:

I'll be sure and get right on that awesome trade you offered there Sam! :laugh:

There is nothing second tier about the Juan Lopez, Sancho Panza and Rafael Gonzalez lines. Yes they are not popular with the newer Cuban cigar smokers, but the old guys know quite well how great theses are.