• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Owl Shop in New Haven, CT

bpj87

Go Bulldogs!
I thought a bit before deciding to post this, but I found my experience at the Owl Shop today a bit disturbing and believe that the community should be aware. I was browsing the humidors, looking for something interesting, and I spotted some VSGs. Upon closer inspection, most of the cigars had some mold, and a few were completely covered, with mold even extending over 1/16" from the foot. This was unquestionably mold. The uneven spotting and incredible magnitude of coverage completely rules out bloom.

Instead of just moving on, I decided to alert one of the employees, and I was partially expecting to be blown off. It was much worse. I told her that some of the VSGs had mold, she was confused, and she directed me to two other employees, one of which I believe was the manager. Expectedly, they passed it off as bloom. I then explained a few reasons why it was not plume, but mold, such as the excessive growth at the foot, patchy coverage, and non-crystalline nature of the material. They replied, "Aww, he thinks he knows something about cigars." :angry: :0 They couldn't be bothered to even look at the afflicted cigars, so I left.

I somewhat expected them not to care, but their condescension and rudeness was unacceptable. View this a a warning before you decide to do business with the Owl Shop in New Haven, CT. I am certainly never going there again. :angry:

Before I read this thread I saw you were from NJ. I was praying it wasn't one of our B&M's.

Before I read this thread I saw you were from NJ. I was praying it wasn't one of our B&M's.

Unfortunately, I am in New Haven attending college for most of the year. It really is a shame that the only cigar shop in town has such an attitude and lacks care for its cigars. :(

Come to Hartford(take the train) JimD's shop is opened Sat's.

As for the owl shop....it may be going above and beyond...contact the owner.

From what I've heard it was a nice shop.

Were the employee's college students? :D

It would be interesting to go back one day and see if they took your advice and cleaned up the infected cigars or removed them all together (like they should!)

Maybe they were embarrassed and didn't want to acknowledge your expertise...and lack of their own! :thumbs:

What a shame. I grew up around West Haven and New Haven and I know that good shops in that area are few and far between.

I'll certainly never give them my business now.

On an up note, if you're ever in Rhode Island, visit owner Eric Chaika in his venerable Providence shop, The Red Carpet Smoke Shop, or any of the Humidor shops. Those are what great local B&Ms are all about.

Wilkey

I have gotten the same rap from some of the most reputable cigar stores in the country, it's really a shame when it happens.

I'm glad that I am not the only one who feels this way. Just as a comparison, the worst cigar that I spotted had so much mold that I would liken it to a piece of old bread, left for a month to grow. The stick was completely enveloped.

Thanks for the references to the other shops. I'll keep them in mind. Luckily, when I am home in NJ, I have access to a wonderful little shop with, albeit overpriced, most Fuente HTFs (mold-free!). Additionally, I still need to make it to one of the Hartford herfs, as I'd love to meet some of the forum members.

I work for Cigar Masters and we just opened a beautiful new shop and bar in Providence that I'd suggest checking out. About 1.5 hrs from New Haven but well worth the trip.

Also, Check out Whitfield Tobacco in Guilford (about 15 min north on 95) they are small but the owner is really knowledgeable and the sticks are reasonably priced.

Im sorry to hear you had trouble with the owl shop as I've been meaning to check it out next time Im home in CT.

I wonder if it's something with the VSG's. I wen to my local a few days ago and saw a handful of sticks in each box of a few different vitolas that had noticeable mold growth.

I work for Cigar Masters and we just opened a beautiful new shop and bar in Providence that I'd suggest checking out. About 1.5 hrs from New Haven but well worth the trip.

Also, Check out Whitfield Tobacco in Guilford (about 15 min north on 95) they are small but the owner is really knowledgeable and the sticks are reasonably priced.

Im sorry to hear you had trouble with the owl shop as I've been meaning to check it out next time Im home in CT.

Thanks for the suggestions. Whenever I am on the road, I always try to make pit stops at any exceptional wine, beer, or cigar shops that aren't too far off my route. I will likely have a free day tomorrow, so I may check out Whitfield Tobacco during the afternoon. :thumbs:

I wonder if it's something with the VSG's. I wen to my local a few days ago and saw a handful of sticks in each box of a few different vitolas that had noticeable mold growth.

Perhaps... Everything in the display case which housed the VSGs had at least minor mold growth. However, the VSGs were by far the most afflicted.

PGK-

Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to go and check it out! What are the hours?

I'd echo Grateful1's call to contact the owner. He may run numerous shops or businesses and "trusts" a manger and employees to watch over this particular shop. If so he would want to know.

The employee's are just that and may not care about the business or the customers, but the owner would.

Needless to say that the utter lack of caring and respect for their product and you as a customer is a damn shame.

Sorry you had that experience.

I've bought cigars there on the rare occasions that I've been in New Haven when they've been open, and never had a problem.

Next time I'm there and they're open, I'll stop in and let them know why I'm not buying anything...

And it's worth a ride up to Hartford to visit Jim's shop!

I also was in the Owl shop and did not find them to be very friendly on the day I went. But you can't beat the pizza in New Haven!

PGK-

Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to go and check it out! What are the hours?

I live in Rhode Island and the only shops I do any business with is The Smoking Jacket in barrington and Tabacco Road in Newport. Both are owned by Rick Elmasian. He is just a great guy and will stand behind everything he sells

Most cigar shop employees are paid about as much as they would if they were serving up Slurpees, so some amount of cluelessness is to be expected.

The old "plume" canard is really pathetic, as is their derision towards you. Amazing how some people enjoy wallowing in their ignorance, isn't it?

........ They replied, "Aww, he thinks he knows something about cigars." :angry: :0 They couldn't be bothered to even look at the afflicted cigars, so I left.

I somewhat expected them not to care, but their condescension and rudeness was unacceptable. View this a a warning before you decide to do business with the Owl Shop in New Haven, CT. I am certainly never going there again. :angry:

This is the part that REALLY gets me! :angry: I'll bet they wouldn't pull that $hit with some middle-aged looking guy but they don't hesitate to be a smart ass to a younger looking customer. You obviously know enough about cigars to make the points you made and that prick knew darn well it was mold.

I had heard that the Owl Shop was supposedly an above average shop in CT but this proves they're not.

Hartford is less than half an hour from Hamden so I'll also suggest that you try and make it up to Jim D's shop. Watch out for Rastacat (Todd), who works there for Jim, next thing you know, you'll be buying a whole lot more cigars than you thought you would! :laugh: Seriously though, everything Todd suggests to you will be great cigars. ;)

........ They replied, "Aww, he thinks he knows something about cigars." :angry: :0 They couldn't be bothered to even look at the afflicted cigars, so I left.

This is the part that REALLY gets me! :angry: I'll bet they wouldn't pull that $hit with some middle-aged looking guy but they don't hesitate to be a smart ass to a younger looking customer. You obviously know enough about cigars to make the points you made and that prick knew darn well it was mold.

I had heard that the Owl Shop was supposedly an above average shop in CT but this proves they're not.

Hartford is less than half an hour from Hamden so I'll also suggest that you try and make it up to Jim D's shop. Watch out for Rastacat (Todd), who works there for Jim, next thing you know, you'll be buying a whole lot more cigars than you thought you would! :laugh: Seriously though, everything Todd suggests to you will be great cigars. ;)

Exactly. As a matter of policy, I will not get into an argument or become visibly upset in such an instance, as a simply "Excuse me?" will get the point across just fine and save me the effort. Like I said previously, a few spots of mold are easily mistaken as plume through an employee's naïveté. Instead, this is an obvious case of complacency and lack of care. Nevertheless, what really gets to me is the incredible condescension of the employees.

I certainly plan to continue buying (way too many) cigars exclusively from the B/S/T forum and upstanding businesses, especially those of CP members. This place to too great of a community and a resource to bother with nonsense such as that of the Owl Shop. Sad examples such as mine truly illustrate, through polar opposition, the excellence of CP. :) :thumbs:

I have has similar problems at the B&M here in Milford. I have seen both examples at this place plume, and mold. I have mentioned this to the owner there and this guy was just a rude a$$. He not only got real rude with me about saying something about mold on some cigars he had but he was already rude to me about me having my kids in there with me. I have had my kids at 3 other stores I go to and they love the fact that I brought them in, a lot more family friendly to say the least. I have mentioned my experiances to a few guys at the B&M I go to the most and as soon as i mentioned the problem I had there everyone I talked to knew exactly who I was talking about. It's sad that this guy is this way, he actually had a few good sticks I couldn't find anywhere else locally, I now drive anywhere from a 1/2 hr to and hour just to not buy from this guy.