• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Plastic Odor Topic is Brought up Again

Bill Clinton

Part of the Ron Jeremy Generation
There is another problem that I am also having here:
I noticed a strong "plastic" odor that's coming from all 3 of the 4 ounce Viper humidification tubes that are sitting inside my 400+ count footlocker style humidor. The plastic odor smell was kind of strong when I took a whiff inside the humidor earlier tonite. I hope that my cigars don't start tasting like plastic or that the plastic odor doesn't penetrate inside my cigars. I have brought this subject up before in here and I am very skeptical how a plastic odor like the one which is currently inside my humidor will be impossible to penetrate any of the cigars. I always thought that any type of odors inside a humidor, even a plastic odor, can easily penetrate any cigars that it's in contact with for a long period of time. There are people in here that have told me not to worry about the "plastic" odor smell that's coming from each of the 3 plastic tubes that are inside my humidor, but after 2 months of having the plastic tubes inside the humidor, the odor has NOT gone away. It's still there and it's strong enough to smell when you stick your face inside the humidor and take a deep whiff. I am worried that the plastic odor is going to penetrate inside my cigars. Currently, I don't know how much the odor has actually gotten inside my cigars and whether or not it has done any damage to the cigars. Please be advised that I am unable to transfer these cigars into another humidor. And I do NOT want to put them inside a tupperdor. I want to be able to keep them inside the current humidor that I am currently using right now.

I would like to know if this odor is going to get inside my cigars and penetrate the cigars and ruin them? I am very concerned about this. When I brought up this subject in here before, some people in here told me that the "plastic" odor will not penetrate and get into the cigars and that it will not affect the cigars. But I am not sure how true this is. The plastic odor is clearly still present and it's strong enought to smell easily when I stick my face inside the humidor and take a deep whiff.

I have very expensive boxes of cigars inside this particular 400+ count footlocker style humidor and it's going to be a real shame if the plastic odor that the Viper humidification tubes emit get inside my cigars. I am going to be Bullsh*t about it.
I would like to get some really detailed input about this. I really want to know whether or not the long term plastic odor that the Viper tubes are emitting will penetrate inside my cigars and ruin them?

Bill Clinton said:
There is another problem that I am also having here:
I noticed a strong "plastic" odor that's coming from all 3 of the 4 ounce Viper humidification tubes that are sitting inside my 400+ count footlocker style humidor. The plastic odor smell was kind of strong when I took a whiff inside the humidor earlier tonite. I hope that my cigars don't start tasting like plastic or that the plastic odor doesn't penetrate inside my cigars. I have brought this subject up before in here and I am very skeptical how a plastic odor like the one which is currently inside my humidor will be impossible to penetrate any of the cigars. I always thought that any type of odors inside a humidor, even a plastic odor, can easily penetrate any cigars that it's in contact with for a long period of time. There are people in here that have told me not to worry about the "plastic" odor smell that's coming from each of the 3 plastic tubes that are inside my humidor, but after 2 months of having the plastic tubes inside the humidor, the odor has NOT gone away. It's still there and it's strong enough to smell when you stick your face inside the humidor and take a deep whiff. I am worried that the plastic odor is going to penetrate inside my cigars. Currently, I don't know how much the odor has actually gotten inside my cigars and whether or not it has done any damage to the cigars. Please be advised that I am unable to transfer these cigars into another humidor. And I do NOT want to put them inside a tupperdor. I want to be able to keep them inside the current humidor that I am currently using right now.

I would like to know if this odor is going to get inside my cigars and penetrate the cigars and ruin them? I am very concerned about this. When I brought up this subject in here before, some people in here told me that the "plastic" odor will not penetrate and get into the cigars and that it will not affect the cigars. But I am not sure how true this is. The plastic odor is clearly still present and it's strong enought to smell easily when I stick my face inside the humidor and take a deep whiff.

I have very expensive boxes of cigars inside this particular 400+ count footlocker style humidor and it's going to be a real shame if the plastic odor that the Viper humidification tubes emit get inside my cigars. I am going to be Bullsh*t about it.
I would like to get some really detailed input about this. I really want to know whether or not the long term plastic odor that the Viper tubes are emitting will penetrate inside my cigars and ruin them?
[snapback]265342[/snapback]​

As I have stated on other cigar sites, if you are uncomfortable with the odor coming from the endcaps I will take the tubes back and refund your money in full. I do not want anyone to be uncomfortable with my product.

I suppose the odor could penetrate the cigar enough to be noticable. I would suggest you just dump the beads into a small inert bowl or other container. I have a couple pounds of Viper's beads in small disposable glad-ware bowls and have not noticed any odor.

Those beads are the best thing since sliced bread. :D

The beads are really useful. I like them a lot. The problem is that I have a large capacity 400 count humidor and I need 3 times the amount of beads to keep the humidity level at 70%. And because of this, I need 3 humi tubes inside my humidor instead on only 1 humi tube. And because I have 3 humi tubes, the odor from all 3 tubes is stronger than what it would have been if I only had 1 humi tube in my humidor. This is the problem that I am facing and because of this I am concerned about the plastic odor getting inside my cigars. I have had these 3 humi tubes sitting inside my humidor now for over 2 months. Whether the odor from them has penetrated my cigars is really unknown. But I can tell you one thing. The odor is still very present when I open up my humidor and stick my face inside the humidor and take a deep whiff. I would like to know if there are any other members in here who have a 400+ count humidor like I do who also have 3 or more Viper humi tubes inside their humidor? I would feel a whole lot more comfortable if I knew that there were others in here that had 3 or more of the plastic humi tubes sitting inside their 400 count humidor like I do. And that they had no problems with the plastic odor penetrating thru their cigars.
I hope that there are a few people like this in this forum who have the same situation like I do that can reassure me that they haven't had any problems with the plastic odor penetrating their cigars by having 3 or more plastic humi tubes inside their humidor.

I found this at a message board...

"Try putting the beads into old aluminium cigar tubes with holes punched in them. Works great and keeps the beads well contained"

If you don't want to go that route, why don't you buy the linen bags Viper sells, I can't picture them taking up much more room in your Humidor than the tubes and No Plastic = No Smell.

I would suggest just buying Vipers mesh bag, or do the suggested above with the bowl and bypass the plastic tube if you think you will have a problem with the plastic smell.. a lot of BOTL's on this board have these tubes and have had no problems with them, so I am sure everything is kosher in your humi with the tubes. :)

I've got two of Viper's tubes in my 150 ct. humi and haven't noticed any issues.

You could try this - pour the beads out, and soak the empty tubes in very hot water. Now, you don't want water off the stove as I'm sure you could deform the tubes, but as hot as your tap will put out. The hot water should open the pores in the plastic and allow it to "outgas" a bit. When they cool down, they should "stink" lots less.

Or put them in a bowl, or one of Viper's bags, etc....

Good Luck - B.B.S.

I just ordered 1 1/2 lbs of brand new 70% beads and a few of the white bean storage bags from Viper (1 large bag and 2 smaller bags). I am going to take out all 3 of the plastic humi tubes that are currently inside my humidor and replace them with the new 70% beads and the bags. I requested express overnight delivery for them. I really need them right away very badly for my humidor.

I am going to try and air out my humidor this afternoon/evening for a few hours in order to try to get the plastic odor that's currently inside my humidor to go away. I hope that airing it out will make the plastic odor disappear quickly.
What do you think? Do you think a few hours of airing out the humidor will make the plastic odor disappear?

Bill Clinton said:
I just ordered 1 1/2 lbs of brand new 70% beads and a few of the white bean storage bags from Viper (1 large bag and 2 smaller bags). I am going to take out all 3 of the plastic humi tubes that are currently inside my humidor and replace them with the new 70% beads and the bags. I requested express overnight delivery for them. I really need them right away very badly for my humidor.

I am going to try and air out my humidor this afternoon/evening for a few hours in order to try to get the plastic odor that's currently inside my humidor to go away. I hope that airing it out will make the plastic odor disappear quickly.
What do you think? Do you think a few hours of airing out the humidor will make the plastic odor disappear?
[snapback]265571[/snapback]​

It should, maybe you might want to offer the tubes to some of the guys here at a slight discount when you no longer need them. :)

Wurm said:
Bill Clinton said:

[snapback]265571[/snapback]​

It should, maybe you might want to offer the tubes to some of the guys here at a slight discount when you no longer need them. :)
[snapback]265577[/snapback]​

What worries me now is that I don't know how much damage has already been done to all of my cigars from the plastic odor that all 6 red end caps from the humi tubes emitted out for the last 2 months while they were inside my humidor. I have over $1,000 worth of cigars inside this particular humidor. And I don't want to see them get ruined with this odor problem.

I think all you need to do is smoke one of 'em to find out if any plastic odor has seeped in. Personally, I'd doubt you'll notice anything. But the proof is in the pudding. So please light one up asap and let us know what you find.

-Mike

Bill Clinton said:
The problem is that I have a large capacity 400 count humidor and I need 3 times the amount of beads to keep the humidity level at 70%.
[snapback]265410[/snapback]​

Im using only 1/2 pound of beads(about half the recomended amount) for my ENTIRE 150 quart coolerdor...holds a steady 66-67% without problem. I think part of your problem lies in not getting enough air exposed. The more air that is exposed to the beads, the better they work. When i first got mine, i had them in a fairly tall tupperware container where very few of them were exposed to the open air. I had problems with them holding a consistant humidity that way. I bought a LARGE, flat plastic container and spread the beads very thinly across it where nearly all the beads had direct contact with the air and it holds a SUPER consistant RH now.

Those tubes, while a good idea, dont seem to me like they would offer enough air circulation to the beads torwards the center of the tubes without having several tubes throughout the humidor to make up for the lack of exposure to the air.

If you really want to keep them in the tubes but are afraid of the red end caps (which have given me no problems at all thus far) why don't you just take them off and rubberband some saran wrap over each end or something? Problem solved.

I think you are overanalyzing this. There are many seasoned smokers on this board who use all of Viper's products without any problems. They really are the best passive humidification product there is right now. I use beads, my humidor smells like manure, and my sticks are smoking great! :D

Worry less, smoke more!

JK

JimK said:
I think you are overanalyzing this. There are many seasoned smokers on this board who use all of Viper's products without any problems. They really are the best passive humidification product there is right now.  I use beads, my humidor smells like manure, and my sticks are smoking great!  :D

Worry less, smoke more!

JK
[snapback]265778[/snapback]​

Jim,
Do you have the red end caps on the humi tubes that you are using inside your humidor? If so, do you have any plastic odor coming from the red end caps. I have the red end cap humi tubes and the red ones give off a strong plastic odor. I currently took all of the humi tubes and all of my cigars out of my humidor and let the humidor air out for about 1 1/2 hours. I then put weather stripping all around the lid seam to give the humidor a better seal. Then I recharged the humistats really good and put all my cigars back into the humidor and shut the lid.

I also ordered 1 1/2 lbs of brand new 70% beads and 3 drawstring bags from Viper that I will be placing inside this same humidor to help it attain the desireable humidity level. At least right now, I hope that the humidity level will go up to 70% with the weather stripping that I just put around the seam of the lid seal this evening.

I was able to smoke a 10 month old Padron 1964 that I had sitting inside this same humidor with the plastic odor problem and it seemed to smoke okay. I didn't really notice any plastic flavor & taste coming from the cigar when I smoked it. Do you think that if the Padron that I smoked this evening didn't have any plastic flavor in it, that the rest of the cigars are still okay?

I hope that the rest of the cigars that were sitting inside this humidor for 2 months with the plastic odor lingering around them aren't ruined. What do you think? Are the rest of the cigars still good if the Padron that I smoked earlier this evening was okay?

I would get rid of anything that had that kind of plastic odor.I would also not be using 70 percent beads, I would use 65 at the highest and if you can get 63 that would be better.

Just FYI Bill Clinton. I have finally found a good replacement for the end caps I use now. Thye have no odor to them at all, at least that I can smell. I will send out a set to you as soon as they arrive.

Bill...
Do you think that it might be some of the cigars themselves that are giving off the smell? It could be that a box could have picked up some foriegn agent somewhere and is reacting to your humidification system?

indyrob said:
Bill...
Do you think that it might be some of the cigars themselves that are giving off the smell? It could be that a box could have picked up some foriegn agent somewhere and is reacting to your humidification system?
[snapback]266769[/snapback]​

The odor was definitely from the plastic end caps. I took all 3 humi tubes out of the humidor and the smell has mostly gone away.