• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

the problem with a new coolerdor

Muley

Well, I just ran out of room for my little humidor so I decided to upgrade. Rather than take baby steps I took a giant leap and picked up a 150qt igloo. (Take a look at the pictures.) You have no idea how dismayed I was when I put everything in there and realized how small the collection really is.

I can only imagine that this must be like growing up thinking your pretty well hung only to find out you're two inches shorter than average!

And yet, it's strangely liberating. I know I don't have to worry about what I'm going to do with any new cigars that I might purchase, like the box I ordered that promted this upgrade :)

I highly recommend doing this to any other new guys out there that might be contemplating a shift in storage.

newcoolerdorout.jpg

newcoolerdorin.jpg

Good addition :thumbs: But why do you have it up and down. Why not lay it across?

cvmfour said:
But why do you have it up and down. Why not lay it across?
After adding some shelving, much easier access to the stash than diggin from top to bottom laying down.

Nice,I need one of those. Where and how much?

DreC said:
cvmfour said:
But why do you have it up and down. Why not lay it across?
After adding some shelving, much easier access to the stash than diggin from top to bottom laying down.

Nice,I need one of those. Where and how much?
I just picked a 120qt Igloo from Wally-World for about $35. :thumbs:

Yea Muley, You going to put some shelves in there, or lay it back down chest style?

gibu said:
Yea Muley, You going to put some shelves in there, or lay it back down chest style?
I will eventually throw some shelves in. I think I'll get better distribution of moisture by leaving it up (as is) and it takes up a hell of a lot less floor space.

For those that ask, I got it a Walmart for $57.00 including tax. Probably could've gotten it for a bunch less when they do they're summer items clearance, but I wanted to go ahead and get it. Plus, the clearance will give me the excuse to get another :D

Cool cool :thumbs: Do you make the shelves yourself or buy them somewhere?

I'll be making the shelves myself. On the great advice of one of our BOTL's I'll be making them out of peg board (the thin sheets with holes) to facilitate transfer of moisture throughout the humidor.

I'll be adding a shelf at the level of the little access door (conveniently, there's a slot at the same height as the bottom edge of that flip open door) where my most often accessed stuff will go.

I bet the slots do help. Just cut the wood and slide it in the slots. Seems simple

Nice looking cooler! I could fit 3 of my little 48 qt coolers in there. ???

If you don't already have them I recommend you getting 2 things

1) a pound of Vern's magic Premier media beads
2) empty cigar boxes to fill up the air space.

On Emodx's advice I filled my coolidor's empty airspace with boxes and it rid me of the problems I had been experiencing with wildly fluctuating RH. When I upgraded to beads I have been at a dead on RH since. I have needed to leave a wet sponge in the cooler overnight once and that has been the only maintenance since.

Matt

I have about the same size cooler 'cept mine's a Coleman

I don't stand mine up though. I just use wooden cigar boxes to store the cigars and stack the wooden boxes in the cooler.

We just had a political fund raiser today and we needed a cooler :0 So, I emptied my coolerdor, left the cigar boxes out on the table in the finished basement where the temp is 67 degrees and RH is between 65 & 70 and the coolerdor was transformed to a cooler (OMG the humility :0 :p ) and it spent the afternoon filled with beer ;)

Tomorrow it will be back to it's old self, a coolerdor :p
For those that ask, I got it a Walmart for %57.00 including tax. Probably could've gotten it for a bunch less when they do they're summer items clearance
Yep, I bought mine last year in November, I think it's a 100 quart and I know it sounds crazy but I'm almost certain I did not pay over $30.00 for it :0

If anyones interested Randyb1 did a REALLY good job building his upright coolidor. He's going to be gone for almost a week, but if you flood his pm box with pic requests while hes gone he might get up off his butt and take that digital camera 10 feet over to the coolidor and snap a few pics for everyone. I'll host them for him so he has no excuses.

As a fun extra, tell him once there up that thats no big deal, you already seen several exactly like it that he copied from on the net. You won't see it of course, but I bet he stamps his foot. :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

How do you make a home-made shell for the cooler that is standing up. Do you purchase Spanish Cedar wood in the web and then saw it to fit in the groove of the cooler ? I notice that the groove inside the cooler when standing it up like that is not extended from the back to the front, which makes me think that the shell will not have enough support to hold on to the groove and may come crashing down one top one another in the middle of the night with the sound "WHAM...BOOM...KAROOM...". What is your suggestion in this matter ?

Muley said:
I'll be making the shelves myself. On the great advice of one of our BOTL's I'll be making them out of peg board (the thin sheets with holes) to facilitate transfer of moisture throughout the humidor.

I'll be adding a shelf at the level of the little access door (conveniently, there's a slot at the same height as the bottom edge of that flip open door) where my most often accessed stuff will go.
The only problem with making the shelves out of pegboard, is the smell.

I built a fridgedor and made a couple of pegboard shelves. Every time I opened the door, all I could smell was the wood - not a pleasant odor. Pegboard is a press board glued together.

Switched the wood shelves to mahogany, lined the front door panel with spanish cedar and all is better. :p

Fridgedor

That's interesting?? My peg board has no smell. :D I have it in both of my coolers and it works like a charm! :thumbs:

andrewhac said:
How do you make a home-made shell for the cooler that is standing up. Do you purchase Spanish Cedar wood in the web and then saw it to fit in the groove of the cooler ? I notice that the groove inside the cooler when standing it up like that is not extended from the back to the front, which makes me think that the shell will not have enough support to hold on to the groove and may come crashing down one top one another in the middle of the night with the sound "WHAM...BOOM...KAROOM...". What is your suggestion in this matter ?
I just use the grooves to hold the shelves; I have 3 shelves with 6 to 8 boxes on each. Ya can't pack the bitch! you need room for Circulation!! :p

Vern's shelves

I do not suggest copying Vern's shelves, because you will spend much too much time and energy making them, buy some from Vern when you order your beads. There will be no regrets :thumbs:

PuroBrat said:
Vern's shelves

I do not suggest copying Vern's shelves, because you will spend much too much time and energy making them, buy some from Vern when you order your beads. There will be no regrets :thumbs:
A good idea but they probably won't fit! :(

The Vernidor pictured is a 100qt., although Vern had talked of expanding the size selection.

Ask Vern about any compatibility concerns.

The price for shelves for the 100qt:
Koolador Interior with 4 shelves ...................... $49.00

:MMM

Additional Vernidor prices as of Spring 2004:

Price list for components
Koolador Base ................................................. $49.00
Koolador Interior with 4 shelves ...................... $49.00
Koolador Top (without drawer) ........................ $30.00
Koolador Drawer Top ..................................... $62.00
Koolador Interior 3 Drawer Humidor ................. $119.00
Koolador Magnetic Door catches (pair) ............ $15.00
Igloo quick & cool100 qt.Cooler................... $50.00/$37.77 Walmart
Premier Media Humidification beads 1/2 lb. .... $17.99
Premier Media Humidification beads 1lb. ....... $ 29.99
Premier Koolador Humidifier ............................ $59.99
Western Digital Caliber 2 Hygrometer .............. $18.99

Package Deals

Koolador Basic Package ...................... $128.00.
(without cooler)
Package includes: Koolador Base, Koolador Interior with 4 shelves
and Koolador Top (without drawer), also includes Koolador Magnetic
Catches, a $15.00 value at no charge.

Koolador Premium Package................. $160.00.
(without cooler)
Package includes: Koolador Base, Koolador Interior with 4 shelves
and Koolador Drawer Top, also includes Koolador Magnetic
Catches, a $15.00 value at no charge.

Koolador Ultra Package......................... $378.99
(with cooler)
Package includes: Igloo 100 qt cooler Koolador Base, Koolador Interior
with 4 shelves and Koolador Drawer Top,Koolador Interior
3 drawer Humidor, Premier Koolador humidifier, also includes Koolador
Magnetic Catches a ($15.00) value and Western Humidors Caliber
Hygrometer (a $18.99 value) at no charge. Comes with interior assembled
and humidified.
Koolador Ultra Package ..(without cooler)....$318,99
Includes everything in the Ultra Package but the cooler.

***Prices do not include shipping!

Vern:888-254-6629

Muley said:
I can only imagine that this must be like growing up thinking your pretty well hung only to find out you're two inches shorter than average!
Since no one else made a comment, I'll just say :0 :0

Just wanted to know if Vern had a website?
thanks!