• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Prometheus website says you should shake your can of butane.

Wurm

Bratwurst and Beer
5. After shaking the butane gas refill can, press the stem of the refill can directly onto the refill inlet valve on the bottom of the lighter and let butane gas go into the lighter for about 10 seconds.

Taken from HERE

I was always told not to shake the can and only turn it upside down before filling to stop excess propellent from entering your lighter...

So which is proper IYHO?

5. After shaking the butane gas refill can, press the stem of the refill can directly onto the refill inlet valve on the bottom of the lighter and let butane gas go into the lighter for about 10 seconds.

Taken from HERE

I was always told not to shake the can and only turn it upside down before filling to stop excess propellent from entering your lighter...

So which is proper IYHO?
Hmmm I can understand shaking something such as spray paint (which is to mix the liquid paint with the gas propellant, "aerosolizing" it). So I'm assuming, by shaking the can of pure butane, you are essentially "aerosolizing" and suspending the liquid butane in the can with the gaseous butane. There-by creating a denser spray of butane. But, there is no point in shaking it if you are going to fill it upside anyways.

Anyways, I don't shake, I don't really see the point.

Besides, its too much work anyways... :D

I have 3 different cans and they all say shake to see if there is any liquid in there.

I've always shaked the can. I had a guy from colibri tell me if you follow the exact directions, turn flame down, bleed tank, shake can, turn upside down, fill, let come back to room temp and turn flame back up. When the lighter gets air in it's system, it's life is shortened.

Yeah I do all of that too except shaking the can... I always carefully turn the can over and fill. And its easy to tell if gas is left in the can without shaking it.

My way has worked for years now, so I probably wont touch a running system, unless someone can give me a good scientific reason to do so.

I usually shake the can, but my reason's not all that scientific---I figure exciting the molecules raises the temp slightly, increasing pressure in the can, resulting in a better fill.

Like so many other things, it's just force of habit, really.

~Boar

Xikar's instructions make no mention of shaking the can. I just went and checked...

hmmmmmmmmm