• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The saddest day in American History?

Devil Doc

When Death smiles, Corpsmen smile back
It was on this day, Good Friday, in 1865 that President Abraham Lincoln was shot in the back of the head while watching a performance of the play Our American Cousin at Ford's Theater in Washington, D.C.

Lincoln had received word of Robert E. Lee's surrender and the end of the Civil War just a few days before he died. He spent his last week as president arguing with Congress about how to readmit the Southern states to the Union. He believed that there should be as little punishment for the rebels as possible.

He had a dream that week that he was on a boat moving rapidly toward shore. It was the same dream he'd had just before every positive development since the war started. He believed it was a sign that everything was coming out right. That afternoon, at 3:00, Lincoln took a ride in an open carriage with his wife, and he was the happiest she'd ever seen him. He told her, "I consider this day, the war, has come to a close."

Doc

Good old Abe. He's definitely in my top 5 for people I'd like to smoke with. I wouldn't have remembered this, thanks for posting.

A sad day indeed. Definitely ranks up there as one of my favorite presidents. He was a genius.

Saddest day? November 7th, 2000 is right up there too.

A tragic day. IMO, however, there have been quite a few as sad, or sadder. A sampling:

September 17, 1862 (Antietam)
January 28, 1986 (Challenger Explosion)
September 11, 2001
June 6 & June 23, 2005 (respectively, SCOTUS decisions in the Raich and Kelo cases)

9/11. I agree with Tigger.

Wasn't there a medical research done of President Lincoln that concluded that he was suffering from some sort of genetic malady and would have died in a few years? I'm more than a bit fuzzy on the details, so please forgive me. He would have already been considered one of our great president's, but the assasination cemented his place in history.

Technically, this is also the day, in 1912, that the RMS Titantic struck an iceberg near the Grand Banks of Newfoundland.

Edited to correct a typo and to add -

I trust the outcome of the Titanic is fairly well known.

Technically, this is also the day, in 1912, that the RMS Titantic struck an iceberg near the Grand Banks of Newfoundland.

Edited to correct a typo and to add -

I trust the outcome of the Titanic is fairly well known.

What's the Titanic ???

We've had a lot of sad days in our nation's history but I don't think there was one that surpasses September 11, 2001. Which is not to diminish any of the other truly sad days the USA have had.

Abe's death was truly a sad day.