• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Simpson's encourage smoking

saltypete

I don't usually post twice in a week let alone a day, but when the anti-smoking facists start bashing the Simpsons they have gone too far.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/latest/561793...-smoking-study/

So the Simpsons may encourage kids to smoke, what a cop out! I guess they also encourage kids to jump gorges on skateboards, steal the heads off statues, become a helper to a mob boss, etc .....(insert your favourite Simpson moment here).

Pete

That explains SOME of my bizarre childhoog behavior...

I was constantly pushing my friends off impossibly high cliffs, then dropping anvils and safes on them. I DID watch a lot of Roadrunner cartoons.

I bet that farking doctor never even cracked a smile while he "assessed" the entire 18 seasons of the Simpsons. :sign:

Say something outlandish enough and it will get you noticed.

Some do whatever it takes.

Do you mean to tell me that someone actually got paid to watch the Simpson's!?! Sign me up for the job...Southpark as well!

I love Homer, he's an American hero if ever there was one!!!

I feel like a cigarette and a couple Duff beers. I'll be at Moe's if you're looking for me.

This topic is hard to comment on without it turning into a touchy subject bordering on a political commentary....based on the source of this study :thumbs:

I was constantly pushing my friends off impossibly high cliffs, then dropping anvils and safes on them. I DID watch a lot of Roadrunner cartoons.

I bet that farking doctor never even cracked a smile while he "assessed" the entire 18 seasons of the Simpsons. :sign:

Hey Dennis, did you receive a lot of deliveries from Acme too? :laugh:

There was an episode where Bart mooned the PM of Australia, I don't remember reading about an eminent war between our two countries. I wonder how that escaped "research"?

Hey Dennis, did you receive a lot of deliveries from Acme too? :laugh:

There was an episode where Bart mooned the PM of Australia, I don't remember reading about an eminent war between our two countries. I wonder how that escaped "research"?

HAHAAAA...

My mail carrier would probably understand that these days... Acme ships Priority Mail. :whistling:

I wonder if father administered chokings have gone up over the last 18 years?

"The most notable characters who smoked were Marge Simpson's sisters Patty and Selma, Krusty the Clown and Bart's school teacher Mrs Krabappel."

I could see them making this an issue if it was any of the children or postive adults on the show, but it makes me laugh they're making an issue about some of the most negative and least likely role models on the show smoking. What have we learned from those who smoke on the Simpsons? If you smoke you'll have a bad voice, be un wed, an alcoholic, and lonely. Geeze, you'd think they'd be pleased with how smoking is portrayed in the Simpsons.

Mike

People who have denied for decades that violence, sex, and profanity in media has an effect on kids now go crazy over smoking in media and how it encourages kids to smoke.

If it weren't so sad, it would be hilarious.

There was also an article in PARADE magazine that comes with the paper trashing cigar smoking, it was titled "The Hidden Dangers of Cigars". Highlights included such topics as cigars containing hundreds of times more nicotine than cigarettes, increase danger of second hand smoke due to prolonged exposures, CO levels at an indoor smoking venue being high than a busy outdoor California freeway and that smoking was seen as "cool" because many celebrities have been seen smoking.

Personal I am cool because of the car that I drive, yeah its 2000 Chevy Impala LS with a 60/40 Split bench with factory plastic hub caps. Pretty impressed aren't you :rolleyes: Also I can park my super sweet ride in my uber cool man cave...

P.S. Talking about cancer causes cancer, so you didn't just read this!!!!!

The least this article could point out is that the characters portrayed as smokers have remained skinny. Others who don't smoke like Homer are big fat slobs. Isn't this the real message the tobacco companies are paying The Simpsons to get out to our children?

Which is more lethal, the health risks of the big fat slobs or those of the smokers?

I only have a dumb question to add to this, Don't these people realize that the Simpson's is an "adult" cartoon on prime time and not Sunday morning. What's next another adult prime time cartoon like maybe Family Guy? I guess Brian is the next victim for an attack because he smokes and drinks in front of Stewie.

I only have a dumb question to add to this, Don't these people realize that the Simpson's is an "adult" cartoon on prime time and not Sunday morning. What's next another adult prime time cartoon like maybe Family Guy? I guess Brian is the next victim for an attack because he smokes and drinks in front of Stewie.

Cartoons are by their very nature catering to and targeting children. Remember Joe Camel?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: