• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

ThermoElectric Coolers HELP?

ads47

I have decided that I want to cool my humidor. It was damaged in shipping and I have to replace the rear panel. Since I will have the back off I decided it would be a good time to install a cooling unit. After researching TE coolers I have decided to go with the company listed below and most likely the 73 watt unit. I already have a custom humidifer unit from Avallo and controller housing for it being made by Petroglyph Designs.

http://www.tetech.com/assys/ac073.shtml

Heres what I need and info you might need to help me.

I will be cooling about 22 cubic feet.

My home rarely will be more than 5-10 degrees hotter than I want the unit to cool to. I didnt think I needed to cool at all but with the nice weather now and not turning the AC on yet I am seeing temps in the 75 degree range, I would like to keep in at 65-66.

With the TE units why do you need to by one of there control units? Isnt a thermostat just a tempature controlled switch. Why couldnt I just use a nice thermostat from the hardware.

Has anyone else done this? Any advice?

thanks
ads

I think CaptainB is working on something right now. You might ask him.

As for the power supply and thermostat... I wouldn't pay that kind of money. Go to home depot and get a 24 VDC power supply used in house thermostats and a Honeywell thermostat and it should do the trick. Just make sure that the power supply puts out enough DC amps that the heat sink needs to run.

LilCigarDude.gif
~Monte

I think you could be on to something. The cost seems high but one bug out break could cost alot more :0

Keep us posted, or aleast PM me. Living in So. Florida this is of interest :thumbs:

I've thought about this myself, having recently moved to Arizona. I remember talking to Bob Staebell at Aristocrat some time ago. He had built a humidity and temperature maintained humidor for someone here in AZ, and I think he offers his humidors with this as an option.

I took a look at the manual. It appears the controller adds some intelligence to the operation of the cooling module. Aparantly, an either "full on" and "full off" approach can damage the module. The controller maintains the static temp by pulsing the DC, as well as varying voltage to keep the module at the proper temperature. The pulsing creates a "duty cycle" and, according to the manual, "reduces the extreme temperature excursions that are experienced with a thermostatic control system." :0 IOW, you definately need the controller. ???

As far as the power supply, you can probably go anywhere for that. The unit you spec'ed says 24V@11.5A, which is pretty beefy. All it is asking for is 24vdc, so you could probably try ebay. :) Maybe save a few bucks.

Also, I'm definately no expert on this stuff, but I'd think you may be able to get away with one of the smaller units. Maybe give them a call, or even call Bob Staebell? He may have some advice. I only talked with him once, but he was very helpful.

Hope this helps. :)

I am still in the planning stages of it. I have basically decided to go with the unit I linked to in the 73 watt version with the computer controlled controller. The only down fall is there isnt a simple way to tell what the temp is set at. It is set through a simple program on your computer. The nice thing is the entire unit will be hidden once down and I will be able to monitor the temp through my external Avallo Accumonitor Controller. I am replacing the rear panel of my humidor and will most likely go with a sheet of Cedar on MDF from Pendegrast.

more later
ads

Let me know how you fare, or if there is anything I can do to help. Things are heating up here (100 today) and the coolerdor temp is creeping up. I may need to do something like this sooner than later. I'd hate using a/c to keep the house at 70. :(

later,