• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

These cigars I have to try

Lemon

Right now there are some cigars I would love to try. Even as a beginner, some cigars have created this whole mysterious feel around them, giving me a tingle in my stomach :D I would like to hear some comments, should I try these in such an early stage of my smoking career, and if I should, how long should I let them age? Yes, I am on a tighter budget, but I can't wait to try some of these.

Montecristo No. 2
Cohiba Robustos
H. Upmann No. 2

The Monte and Cohiba would be first priority, especially the Cohiba which I have seen being praised so much on the net. I would like to know if these are worth it.

Lemon,

All of those cigars will not dissapoint you, good luck, and enjoy!!!

I can say that yes, definitely the Monte #2 and CoRo are worth it. Generally I smoke them with 3 years on them. Unfortunately, I still haven't had an Upmann #2.

I don't like any of them :(

To me, they're the "Budweiser" of Havana cigars, the most popular & the most advertised/hyped but certainlly not the "best" IMO. I hate Bud as well.

I think all three of those are boring and my other problem with the Monte's & the Cohibas is they are the most faked cigars in the world. So if you really want to lay out some $$$ on these, you better be sure they are REAL. I also think the ridiculous premium that is charged for the Cohiba name is not worth it.

My favorite Havana labels are:
San Cristobal
Saint Luis Rey
Vegas Robaina
Ramon Allones

Personally if I were you, I'd start out with a milder, flavorful Havana cigar:

Quai d'Orsay Gran Corona

What size/vitola do you prefer?
What strength do you prefer?

coventrycat86 said:
I don't like any of them :(

To me, they're the "Budweiser" of Havana cigars, the most popular & the most advertised/hyped but certainlly not the "best" IMO. I hate Bud as well.

I think all three of those are boring and my other problem with the Monte's & the Cohibas is they are the most faked cigars in the world. So if you really want to lay out some $$$ on these, you better be sure they are REAL. I also think the ridiculous premium that is charged for the Cohiba name is not worth it.

San Cristobal
Saint Luis Rey
Vegas Robaina
Ramon Allones

Personally if I were you, I'd start out with a milder, flavorful Havana cigar:

Quai d'Orsay Gran Corona

What size/vitola do you prefer?
What strength do you prefer?
Listen to Bill.....He won't steer you wrong!!!! :thumbs:

Even though I'm inexperienced, I can imagine the phenomenon you mentioned. One label gains a reputation, which people hold on to. "Hey, look at me, I'm smoking a Montecristo No. 4 because it's so popular!" :D And btw, I don't drink beer at all ;)
For a student with no steady income, a 14-15 euro robusto (that's about 17 dollars) is a lot of $$$ for about an hour of pleasure.

The vitolas I've tried so far have ranged from demi tasse (I think this was the smallest one I tried, a Fonseca KDT Cadetes) to cazadores (J.L Piedra). I thought they both were of nice size. I don't think I would be a churchill person, they take too much time (except maybe on special occasions). Basically these sizes were all nice. I haven't tried any torpedos or robustos, so those would be next.

All of the labels you mentioned, except for Saint Luis Rey, can be bought at the shop I've used so far (Cigars Club). This shop accepts bank transfers, so I chose it. I don't have a credit card. If someone would care to check the prices there, you could tell me how well they are priced.

As for strength of cigars, I must say I don't know much. I believe I need more experience for that ??? I will have to try the labels you mentioned coventry.

The 1st time i tried a Monte #2, i thought it was the best cigar i'd ever somked. Now that i've smoked a bundle of different isoms, i realize that that #2 still stands as one of my all time favorites.

go to the "trade" threads and find someone to trade one with you. that's where i got my first one.

montecristo #2 are good, if your gonna try a cohiba try a siglo VI or a Reserve both are exelent smokes. The robustos are everage in my opinion.

All 3 are must tries in my opinion. The CoRo is one of the best and most consistent cigars there is.

Lemon said:
Montecristo No. 2
Cohiba Robustos
H. Upmann No. 2

The Monte and Cohiba would be first priority, especially the Cohiba which I have seen being praised so much on the net. I would like to know if these are worth it.
When they are on, they are great cigars -- I've had very mixed results with the Montes -- sometimes they are great, sometimes they just aren't. CoRo's in my experience are more consistent, but they also are susceptible to variance in quality.

Lemon,

The prices seem a little high to me. Spain has a national price list that all retailers must sell them for Here's the link. The prices at your shop are at least 30% higher than the Spain prices last I knew. There are Hong Kong vendors that also sell Havanas for considerably less as well.

I don't know what their policies are with respect to receiving funds via methods other than credit cards but it migh be worth looking into.

Are you a student in Finland, in the USA or where?

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Uppie #2! Mmmmmmmmmmmmm :thumbs:

Not much talk about these for some reason, trust me Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.!

I guess I'll have to look at other shops, but seeing as I have no credit card, that online shop is 50% cheaper than shops in Finland. I am a student in Finland.

Edit: Wow, those prices should be lower alright. I will try to find another shop.

San Cristobal
Saint Luis Rey
Vegas Robaina
Ramon Allones

I havnt had the privledge to try a SLR havana yet :lookup:

I wouldn't mind hearing where you people shop for cigars :0 I'm hunting for a good online shop. I would hate to buy my cigars from the same shop now that I know I can get em much cheaper :angry:

Hi Lemon...

If you're talking about genuine Cuban Cohibas, then they're worth your time. American Cohibas are overrated.

Uppman cigars I've found to be bitter. They're strong cigars, but the flavor sucks. I've only smoked a couple and I found that true of both of them.

As far as online cigar stores, "Cigars International" has always done right by me. Good prices and they ship fast.

good luck!

I have to respectfully disagree with lamaida's assessment of H Upmanns.

As far as strength/flavor, while they're not mild, they aren't considered generally "strong" As far as Havanas go, Upmanns are in the middle of the pack.
"Strong" Havanas generally are:
Saint Luis Rey
Ramon Allones
Vegas Robaina
Bolivar

Montecristos and Cohibas are kind of in the middle but both are considered slightly stronger than H. Upmanns

LOL you want tanic or "bitter"? Smoke a few Quinteros and then see how any H Upmann compares to that :D

I find most H Upmann vitolas to be as just as MRN sez a "straightforward tobacco taste" and my two favorite Upmanns are the Magnum 46's and the Monarchs. I've been meaning to get my hands on a box of the PC's but I don't want to emulate JFK :0 being the Pain In The A$$ Republican that I am :p :D If I can ever get past the JFK thing with the PC's, I'd bet they'd be one of my favorite smokes ;)

Since I'm not a fan of 'dem pointy ceegars (Campanas and Piramides) like BBF's Monte #2's and H Upmann #2's, etc., I'll probably never have any boxes of them on hand BUT I would never turn one down if someone say like Fast4Dr were to hand me one at the LI Herf :p :D

Again, I find the unique H Upmann flavor to be one of my favorites past my top five which are:
SC
SLR
VR
RA
Qd'O

As a reference I used Monte #4 when comparing prices, and I noticed how some shops dont' have it at all! So I'm guessing these are made somewhere else. Am I right? Also, the picture of the Montes at Cigars International showed rings a lot darker brown than those I have tried. What's up with that?

Checking other labels shows all these new names I've never seen in Spanish shops. Everything is cheaper, but what about taste and quality?

The Montecristos from Cigar International are NOT Cuban cigars. I don't know why the hell lamaida mentioned CI in the first place. :lookup:

Who knows, he probably is talking about the Dominican H. Upmanns and not the Cuban ones in his post :lookup:

Now that I looked at his post again WTF is this supposed to mean?:
American Cohibas are overrated.
There are no such thing as "American Cohibas" YIKES :0 unless you're talking about something that's been rebanded by gamelover2004 or Cohibin :sign:

"Red Dot" Cohibas are made in the Dominican Republic which last I knew, is not part of the USA.

I also highly doubt CI will ship to Europe, I know for a fact that JR's won't ;)

Bascially you should ignore lamaida's post altogether because he's completely missed the boat here......