• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Things to do in Miami ....

MAS_Puros

Me as a wee one with my bottle of Abyss
Ok well I am getting married in October and we are taking our honeymoon in Jamaica. So was wondering if my fellow BOTL's could point in a few directions?

2 things:
First we have a 7 hr lay-over in Miami ... I figured we could go around Miami and check it out, maybe some authentic Cuban food , hit a smoke shop or 2 :whistling: but i was hoping if anyone had any suggestions or recommendations so I can prepare and take advantage of our time in Miami.

Second, does anyone recommend any site we should goto in Jamaica? Are there any Cigar Factory's in Jamaica? And any cigars I should look for while I am there. :thumbs:

Thanks all in advance

Mike

Ok well I am getting married in October and we are taking our honeymoon in Jamaica. So was wondering if my fellow BOTL's could point in a few directions?

2 things:
First we have a 7 hr lay-over in Miami ... I figured we could go around Miami and check it out, maybe some authentic Cuban food , hit a smoke shop or 2 :whistling: but i was hoping if anyone had any suggestions or recommendations so I can prepare and take advantage of our time in Miami.

Second, does anyone recommend any site we should goto in Jamaica? Are there any Cigar Factory's in Jamaica? And any cigars I should look for while I am there. :thumbs:

Thanks all in advance

Mike

Mike,

Depending on what time you arrive in Miami, you might want to go to Little Havana....that's where MOST of the cigar manufacturers are (including El Rey de Los Habanos). There are many Cuban restaurants to eat at in that area. My recommendation would be Versailles. Casa Juancho is also pretty good. As for Jamaica, there is "Pride of Jamaica", which is the ONLY factory left. Not sure what the name of the factory is. This is the same factory that made the original Macanudos and the Temple Halls, before being bought by General. Hope this helps.

I don't even think I have to remind you to stay away from the guys selling cigars on the beach... do I Mike? :laugh:

I've never been, but a buddy of mine that I smoke with often told me he was offered weed at like every corner of the island... so if thats your thing... ??? ;)

No really, have a great trip and try some of the local tobacco.

mac

2 things:

Thanks all in advance

Mike

Mike,

Depending on what time you arrive in Miami, you might want to go to Little Havana....that's where MOST of the cigar manufacturers are (including El Rey de Los Habanos). There are many Cuban restaurants to eat at in that area. My recommendation would be Versailles. Casa Juancho is also pretty good. As for Jamaica, there is "Pride of Jamaica", which is the ONLY factory left. Not sure what the name of the factory is. This is the same factory that made the original Macanudos and the Temple Halls, before being bought by General. Hope this helps.

I believe we arrive at 7am...We have a Versailles here in LA and I love it! I will have to check out Little Havana. Thanks for the info.

I don't even think I have to remind you to stay away from the guys selling cigars on the beach... do I Mike? :laugh:

I've never been, but a buddy of mine that I smoke with often told me he was offered weed at like every corner of the island... so if thats your thing... ??? ;)

No really, have a great trip and try some of the local tobacco.

mac

LMAO ... wacky tobacky not my thing . :laugh: but I will try some of that local leaf (tobacco) :rolleyes:

Mike,

Versailles in LA is not related to the Versailles in Miami. This is a Miami landmark that has been around since the '60s. BEST Cuban food in Miami.

Recently asked the same question...so to help out those who already helped me out

MIAMI

Have fun!

LMAO ... wacky tobacky not my thing . :laugh: but I will try some of that local leaf (tobacco) :rolleyes:

You can get all the Local tobacco you need at the airport. All are green wrappers with the same taste. Head over to Negril. Thats where all the partying is. Tour the Island with someone that knows the place. DON"T go running off into the woods on your own.

Lot's of beggars there, anywhere around the markets will draw a crowd. The Sunset Cat cruises are good. Diving is good. Lazy days of getting drunk (only local liqueurs are served in most hotels) and laying on the beach are the national pastime.

2 things:

Sabor Habana for a shop & Little Havana for the food and cigars

Sabor Havana Cigars in Miami,,,,great place to hang out and get a few smokes in and purchase before heading to Jamaica.

If you're running short on time for whatever reason, there's a La Carreta Cuban restaurant in one of the terminals at MIA so even if you don't have the time to leave the airport, there's still a little bit of Miami to sample there.

Spent my honeymoon in Jamaica as well, Ochos Rios......had a great time. I didn't smoke cigars at the time, so no recommendations there. I would recommend the Blue Mountain Coffee tour.......fantastic stuff and interesting tour. Dunns River falls is pretty cool too, touristy as hell and you'll need to get a guide and tip them. Huge market right outside of it to pick up trinkets.

Best thing we did was get friendly with a security guard at our resort. He took us out to the local reggae bars and food shacks on one evening. It was cool to hang with the locals and drink the "under the counter rum" with them as they unwound from their week. If you get to do that, watch out for the bottles that come out from under the counter and don't have any kind of label.......it packs a punch!! Its called "overproof" rum.

Edit to add:
Two other things:
1. Pick up a paperback tour-guide/mini-history of Jamaica........it will make some of the sights you see more interesting and, imho, it never hurts to know something of the culture/hisory of the country you're in. I'll look at the one I have sometime today and PM you the name.

2. Take a horse ride tour of the beach.....(if you like horses that is)....that was an excellent experience.