• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Thinking about building a humidor...

WindingDown

I've searched the forum and read multiple topics. While I've gained some valuable information and have seen some impeccable humidors built by members, I haven't found an answer to all my questions. I've also made use of ye olde google to no avail. I want a simple, but nice looking humidor that will hold 100-150 cigars and obviously not break the bank. The questions I have are as follows.

Can someone with little carpentry experience reasonably take on such a task as to build a humidor of that size?
Is veneer necessary to make a nice looking humidor?
How do you leave space for expansion and contraction of hardwood (the main box) and still have tight joint?

Let's be honest here, I have a ton more questions but these are the most important ones I can think of at the moment.

Would anyone be against me starting a topic for a place to add links to other websites and threads here related to humidor building. I still consider myself very new here so I figured I should ask before just doing so.

Thanks for all/any advice!

Let me be the first to welcome you to CP. I can't draw a straight line without a ruler, so no comment on your building one, but there are enough folks here to point you in the right direction. One question I can see coming up is how much do you smoke on a regular basis? Most of us here started small and most of us here have at least about 600 count humi's of one sort or another.

I wish you well on your quest, keep us informed of your progress.

You might also look at Cheaphumidors.com and save yourself some labor and money.

A couple things to consider. A 150 count humidor really isn't that big and you'll probably fill it in no time and kick yourself in the butt for not building a bigger one. It's cheaper to buy one and save yourself all that frustration. So if your going to build - build bigger. Ask anyone in this forum and they will tell you the same. 

My neighbor is a kick ass retired woodworker and built both of my humidors. There is some disagreement as to why some builders use the MDF wood for the very reason you mentioned of expansion and contraction. For me in my cabinet I went with solid cherry and solid spanish cedar on the inside and have had no problems with warping etc. It weighs a ton though. 

I personally don't like veneer but it's cheaper and some look decent. I'm also not sure if your asking about spanish cedar veneer for the inside or veneer on the outside. If you have limited carpentry experience I don't think a humidor project is something that you should attempt.

Just my .02.....

Both responses are duly noted. I'm just concerned because everything I'm finding is that humidors in the price range I'd want to spend on a 100-150ct ($75-$150) are "garbage" and "seal wont last", but, of course, the "good" ones are like $800+ for a 50-100 ct. I'm sorry, but, $800+ for a 50-100 ct is ridiculous. I don't care if it was handmade by Jesus who repurposed materials from the Arc of the Covenant. I'm not at that place in my life where I can spend that kind of money on a hobby in one rip. So that brought me to my decision on maybe building one. I am definitely not against buying one as tomorrow is my birthday and it gives me an excuse to, but, I want something that will last and protect the cigars I have. Any suggestions on a 100-150 ct humidor in that price range that serves my purpose? 

As far as the size, I figured once I outgrow the 100-150 I'll be building a coolidor. I just want a nice looking/functioning desktop for my more visible storage purposes. 

Cheaphumidors.com has sure seal guarantee and their humi's are really nice and for that size they are decently priced and no where near $800...

I know you're probably looking for something a bit nicer, but I just saw a 48 quart cooler on sale for $20 at Cabela's lol.

I have a 50 count humidor for now. Once I finally start buying boxes, I'm thinking the coolidor is the way to go!

Light this! said:
If you have limited carpentry experience I don't think a humidor project is something that you should attempt.

Just my .02.....
I agree fully! This type of build without the proper tools and knowledge would be very hard and the smaller the humi the harder it would be IMO.

Paul

If you build it out of a solid hardwood, and line it with cedar, you just fit the cedar pieces in with no adhesives, including the bottom panel, etc. Leave the dimensions a bit short of perfect seams. That allows expansion and contraction. The right kind of MDF is fine, and it is dimensionally stable. That said, if it gets wet on the edges, it can expand like a sponge.

Some woods, if finished on one side, can warp. Sometimes the warping will not initiate until it has dried out. I.e., while it is humidified, it seems fine. Let it dry out, and it will warp around the finished side. always finish, or seal, all sides and edges.

MadMonk said:
If you build it out of a solid hardwood, and line it with cedar, you just fit the cedar pieces in with no adhesives, including the bottom panel, etc. Leave the dimensions a bit short of perfect seams. That allows expansion and contraction. The right kind of MDF is fine, and it is dimensionally stable. That said, if it gets wet on the edges, it can expand like a sponge.

Some woods, if finished on one side, can warp. Sometimes the warping will not initiate until it has dried out. I.e., while it is humidified, it seems fine. Let it dry out, and it will warp around the finished side. always finish, or seal, all sides and edges.

My quick thought on a plan was use purple heart for the box then with the top bevel down towards the inside which would be lined with lightly fit together spanish cedar tongue and groove which I think will allow ample space for expansion. Then the top would have a couple pieces of the cedar applied and the whole type would then be made to bevel the opposite so it fit together when closed. I don't know if the seal will actually hold in RH but like I said its my quick thoughts on it. Not great at describing what I'm picturing in my head but hopefully you get the idea.

WindingDown said:

My quick thought on a plan was use purple heart for the box then with the top bevel down towards the inside which would be lined with lightly fit together spanish cedar tongue and groove which I think will allow ample space for expansion. Then the top would have a couple pieces of the cedar applied and the whole type would then be made to bevel the opposite so it fit together when closed. I don't know if the seal will actually hold in RH but like I said its my quick thoughts on it. Not great at describing what I'm picturing in my head but hopefully you get the idea.

I'd stick with traditional lips i.e., 90 degree geometry. Purple heart has a pretty good stability coefficient. Better to use quarter sawn wood vice plain sawn.

I built a humidor several years ago.  I dovetailed the joints, It turned out beautiful.  I made it out of 100% Spanish Cedar.  That, was a mistake. It maintains humidity perfectly, but the top seal sticks together because of the sap. I needed a much larger one so I went with a wine-a-dore. It too is lined with Spanish Cedar, but nothing sticks together. :laugh:

SeaLawyer said:
Why not  just build it out of solid mahoghany?  No need to line it then...

I personally love the smell of spanish cedar so I would use it regardless. I've read that mahogany does a great job though at maintaining RH. I personally don't love the look of mahogany though so I personally wouldn't use it. 

Copy.  All my research suggests mahogany does great at maintaining RH, maybe even better than Spanish cedar.  I'm planning to build a large double-door cabinet humidor at some point, and just using mahogany rather than lining it with cedar.  It does smell great though!

Did you see this thread?  Ignoring the exterior wood choice, it was made by a guy with zero experience (and it's cedar-lined).  I don't know if I'd go THAT big for a desktop, but Paul is right - the smaller you build it, the harder it will be. 

SeaLawyer said:
Copy.  All my research suggests mahogany does great at maintaining RH, maybe even better than Spanish cedar.  I'm planning to build a large double-door cabinet humidor at some point, and just using mahogany rather than lining it with cedar.  It does smell great though!

Did you see this thread?  Ignoring the exterior wood choice, it was made by a guy with zero experience (and it's cedar-lined).  I don't know if I'd go THAT big for a desktop, but Paul is right - the smaller you build it, the harder it will be. 

Yeah I read it yesterday. I'd love to build one that size but for the shear cost of material I will probably steer clear of something that big. However, if I decide to build one and it turns out ok I may move to something that size. I could never fill it, but, It would be awesome to have something like that just because lol.

WindingDown said:
 I'm just concerned because everything I'm finding is that humidors in the price range I'd want to spend on a 100-150ct ($75-$150) are "garbage" and "seal wont last", but, of course, the "good" ones are like $800+ for a 50-100 ct. I'm sorry, but, $800+ for a 50-100 ct is ridiculous.

Check out Savoy humidors - "good ones" for less than the cost of materials and time of building your own.

MilesMingusMonk said:

I'm just concerned because everything I'm finding is that humidors in the price range I'd want to spend on a 100-150ct ($75-$150) are "garbage" and "seal wont last", but, of course, the "good" ones are like $800+ for a 50-100 ct. I'm sorry, but, $800+ for a 50-100 ct is ridiculous.

Check out Savoy humidors - "good ones" for less than the cost of materials and time of building your own.

Just to update I took your advice and looked into Savoy ended up finding and purchasing a Large Bubinga (up to 100 cigars) from smokingpipes.com for $112.00 with free shipping.  Should be here friday. Also purchased 65% heartfelt humidity beads and Boveda seasoning packets (I know it's a cop out and I can do it for practically nothing I just want it to be done right the first time with little room for user error). Thanks for everyones advice!

[SIZE=11pt]A humidor that works is not like a nice box with a humidification appliance, although that's often how they're prepared. So, Building a humidor can be challenging.[/SIZE]