• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Thinking of a lathe.

Asel.mike

Professional nerd
I have turned a few small things using the old screw and drill method, but I've got the itch to be a lathe owner. Obviously lathes are expensive though. Youtube and a few woodworking sites have lead me to the idea of making my own lathe. I wanted to know if anybody with a lathe has any features/ accessories on theirs that they really like, or features they wish they could have. I know I would like it to be variable speed.
Additionally, what is a good size? What length/ width of material is a good bet?

Thanks in advance for any input.

There are a ton of options out there. Ask yourself some questions.
- How much do I want to spend?
- How much space do I have?
- Where will the lathe go? Mine is in the basement.
- What am I really going to turn? What size? This is a big factor.
- How much am I going to turn?

I started with a small bench top lathe that was about 75 years old that was turned by an old washing machine motor. There are some really nice bench top models out there that work very well. If you have a Woodcraft store in your area go take a look at what they have. Take a class and try out the different models.

Thanks very much for the Input vicster.
What model do you have? What do you like about it?

I have a Grizzly brand. There is nothing special about it other than I picked up up for $75 on Craig's list. The guy wanted it out of there. I was actually looking for an old Rockwell or Delta at the time but a deal is a deal and I took it. I have to work around it's limatations, and made some modification to make it function better. If I ever run across a deal on a old cast iron Rockwell I will give this to one of the kids and move up. My buddy has a Jet table top model that he really likes, I played on it one day and it is a very nice unit.

I love the goggles, like the worst thing that will happen is he gets wood in his eyes...

I watched the whole video because I was sure there was going to be some sort of injury involved. :sign:
Necessity is the mother of invention. This guy has waaay too much time on his hands. lol

Safety First!

My neighbor has a Shopsmith, but is way more than a lathe. At least look at it for reference. Others than that, best of luck in doing whatever you plan on doing with it.

Also look up Lathemaster.

Last but not least Google " home lathe " for a bunch of info.

Just trying to be helpful I hope.

I've been toying around with getting a lathe, as well. I actually planned on checking out "Shopsmith" tonight. I love the idea of a small footprint and versatility. I plan on doing small projects, and a full shop would be a waste of money and space. That said, I need to see if it will do everything I think I will want to do, and then some. I occasionally see them on the 2nd hand market for real decent prices. This is a great thread to get some ideas and recommendations.

Check if your state has 'surplus' auctions...or even sheriff's auctions (when the town takes over).

I know a coupld times a year I see these in CT.

Also look for companies going out of business or bankrupcy auctions.

Happy hunting!

I've done a bit of research, It'll just be a matter of finding the time to make one.