• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

This has got to stop.

Pretty sure David knows the difference between Mold and Plume.

This in regards to Mold, which has been happening more and more from Fuente, not as a result of people keeping the cigars at high %.

This in regards to Mold, which has been happening more and more from Fuente, not as a result of people keeping the cigars at high %.

Exactly Freebern. I waiting to post anything about the Fuente mold issue until after I ran a few test cases myself. But thanks for the pointer LarryH, it's always helpful to have more information.

This seems to be a production issue, which worries me quite a bit.

:cool:

Can smoking a moldy cigar be a health risk? It seems like it would. I thought the clean-up process was a good idea. This is out there, but exposure to UVC light will kill mold, bacteria, etc. Could it damage the cigars? From what I read it would require from 15 seconds to 7 minutes of exposure from a specific source to completely kill the mold depending on the strain. Difficult for the average smoker but the manufacturers could put it to use.

Larry

Mold Mitigation

I doubt it will hurt you, as long as it's only on the surface. Usually it's just wiped off and will be ok, but needs to be separated from the rest.

No need to use a clean up process, unless your entire collection has been infested w/ mold. At that point, it's more of a personal storage issue then a manufacturer issue.

I found this under the band of one of my anejos this past weekend;

anejo-mold.jpg

It was from the most recent release. I bought 4 anejos, and two had no mold, this one did, lots, all under the band. To be honest, the cigar tasted weird at first, which I think was caused by the mold. I still have one left, and will smoke it soon just to make sure there is no mold in my humidor...

I'm a huge Fuente fan. I've never seen mold on anything, BUT anejos... Maybe quality control in that department is slipping... :( I hope it never happens to the Hemingway Maddies...

*Sorry for the pic, taken with my cell phone*

Since it seems to be mainly the Anejo suffering from this problem, is it maybe the unique curing process? Perhaps the cognac barrel aging makes the wrapper more susceptible to mold?