• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

This is what beetles can do....

bilder

We got new lockers at the shop and in the process of moving folks from the old ones we found out that a few folks have not been keeping an eye on their sticks.

One locker in particular had a massive beetle attack. These are just a couple of photos of the damage. The guy lost his entire stash of fake cubans to the little buggers. Do not let this happen to you.....

f_Picture014m_d7c5e96.jpg

f_Picture019m_d2aa22b.jpg

f_Picture015m_7c61066.jpg

What's the possibility of them making it from one locker to another? That can happen when you get fakes. :blush:

NS was thinking the same thing at the same time.

You gave me a good excuse to dive to the bottom of my humi just to check. Reminded me I have some good stuff down there. Can't wait until they've come of age. :thumbs:

I froze my entire collection a week ago just so I could sleep at night. Those pics freak me out.

You gave me a good excuse to dive to the bottom of my humi just to check. Reminded me I have some good stuff down there. Can't wait until they've come of age. :thumbs:

I just did the same and actually found a single beetle crawling along on my Opus X Lancero "Journey to Chateau de la Fuente" 2005 ???

Careful inspection reveals very minor damage to the foot. No holes in the lancero and no damage to any other sticks but they are all wrapped. The Lancero was in an open ended glass tube ostensibly to keep it safe :(

Would a trip through the freezer in an airtight ziplock kill off any potential survivors or eggs? Or should I put all the sticks from the humi in the freezer as well?

I just did the same and actually found a single beetle crawling along on my Opus X Lancero "Journey to Chateau de la Fuente" 2005 ???

Careful inspection reveals very minor damage to the foot. No holes in the lancero and no damage to any other sticks but they are all wrapped. The Lancero was in an open ended glass tube ostensibly to keep it safe :(

Would a trip through the freezer in an airtight ziplock kill off any potential survivors or eggs? Or should I put all the sticks from the humi in the freezer as well?

Put em all in the freeze bro. Not worth losing your whole collection. Also make sure to double bag them also.

If freezing is new to you then I'm sure with the help of the search function you could find a good post on the topic here at CP.

Thanks. I'll check right now. The heat is on here in AZ. In a few weeks it'll be over 100 degrees outside. It's a dry heat. (Like being in a Microwave) ???

Does this mean the shop was kept over 80 RH? I thought these were issues only if your RH got to high and stayed there.

I'm assuming that the holes are where the beetle exited a cigar, correct?

Does this mean the shop was kept over 80 RH? I thought these were issues only if your RH got to high and stayed there.

Beetle eggs can hatch if the temperature is kept above 72-ish. Mold comes from the RH being too high.

Beetle eggs can hatch if the temperature is kept above 72-ish. Mold comes from the RH being too high.

Technically, larvae can start doing there horrible thing at temperatures as low as 65 F although (from my own experience and readings) most people don't seem to experience trouble until the storage temp approaches or passes 80 F.

- Tim

The temps up here don't get that high. These sticks were bought in Mexico during the summer, so the little buggers may have very well been munching away before they got up here.

That was the only locker with issues. No one else has reported any problems.

Yicks! Makes me happy that I bought a vinotemp when I started this hobby.

I'm going to have nightmares tonight because of those pictures. ???

Well, all my sticks are now in vacuum sealed bags resting at about 18 degrees F where they will stay for the next several days. Luckily I have two new boxes coming tomorrow so I won't be destitute until the ice age thaws.