• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Thomas H. Hardy Rye

Joebunaga

Brought to you by Carl's Junior.
Came across a bottle of this but decided not to purchase since I know nothing about rye's. There's some good comments here, but it seems like it may be just uncommon enough that not many people have tried it.
Rye's are completely new to me, but I'm interested in trying them. A few weeks ago I was considering a bottle of Bulleit to sample but ended up going a different direction. Is it worth grabbing a bottle of the antique or should I start off with Bulleit, Beam, Sazerac 6yo, etc?

I find this one to be a little "hot", however if cut with water, it's pretty tasty. Not sure if I'd make it your first Rye. I started with Rittenhouse, Pikesville, and Russel's Reserve and loved all of them.

I agree with Julius. It's good, but the high alcohol content amplifies the spiciness of the rye and makes it taste very hot to me. Handy is probably my least favorite of the BTAC, and I think that may be a common sentiment because in my travels, it's the one I see on the shelves most. The Sazerac 6 is excellent rye. Go with it!

I'd get the Sazerac 18 before the Handy but being a RYE GUY a little splash of water makes the Handy pretty good and it makes a great Manhattan too.

Thanks, I'll probably snag a bottle of the Sazerac 6 or Russell's Reserve to try for a starter.