• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Thompson's Cigars

psyktek

Frugal Old Fart!
:angry: That little smiley is listed as "angry" but really I'm more annoyed and disappointed.

Ordered the Powerhouse Sampler a while back and was emailed that it was on back-order and to expect shipment around the 29th. OK, that's fine, I understand
supply-and-demand pretty well.

Then last week I get a call from Thompson's informing me that the item is on back-order
(doh!), but would I be interested in a "...much better deal for 39.95?". Well, no, I wouldn't thankyouverymuchforthecall. Oh, and then an offer to join their cigar club and save on my purchases. No, again.

Then today I get an email saying that the item had been shipped on the 19th!!

So, did they get an unexpectedly early delivery from someone (maybe the travel case company or the hat supplier?), or was this a blatant bait-and-switch?

I know that Thompson's is wildly successful as a mail-order vendor (mostly with folks who don't subscribe to these boards), so why do this sort of thing?

:0 :angry: :sneaky: :(

When last week did they call you? If it was on/about/or after Wednesday, then heck yes I’d say their behavior is questionable :angry: . And, regardless of when they called you with the “better deal” their behavior was opportunistic at the very least. :angry: :angry:

Personally, I’d simply boycott them indefinitely. That’s the only way to teach these vendors that they should put customer service first. I’ve stopped dealing with a vendor that is highly respected on this board. Not because I was taken advantage of per se. But, because I had to fight very long and hard for an order to be corrected, and even when it was corrected, they made it seem like they were doing me a favor. I don’t need the headaches, from now on JR gets all my mail order business. They are unbelievably focused on customer service. :)

Most likely the case that the sales end and the customer service end aren't on the same sheet of music. JMHO.

Do not buy from Thompsons! How many times do I have to tell you people?! :p :D

Sorry Bob. I couldn't help myself :sign:

The way a company provides customer service says a lot. With so many other shops/web sites to go to any company that treats you poorly might as well be pushing you out the door. IMHO

Bill

psyktek said:
:angry: That little smiley is listed as "angry" but really I'm more annoyed and disappointed.

Ordered the Powerhouse Sampler a while back and was emailed that it was on back-order and to expect shipment around the 29th. OK, that's fine, I understand
supply-and-demand pretty well.

Then last week I get a call from Thompson's informing me that the item is on back-order
(doh!), but would I be interested in a "...much better deal for 39.95?". Well, no, I wouldn't thankyouverymuchforthecall. Oh, and then an offer to join their cigar club and save on my purchases. No, again.

Then today I get an email saying that the item had been shipped on the 19th!!

So, did they get an unexpectedly early delivery from someone (maybe the travel case company or the hat supplier?), or was this a blatant bait-and-switch?

I know that Thompson's is wildly successful as a mail-order vendor (mostly with folks who don't subscribe to these boards), so why do this sort of thing?

:0 :angry: :sneaky: :(
I can relate to what you are going through.
I made my first purchase with Thompsons back at the beginning of February 2004. I purchased the same sampler you purcahsed however mine came in a different case. At the time whey talked me into joining the club also and sent me a FREE cigar draw poker. I signed up for Indian Tabac Classic Tomahawks with a FREE BOX of Fire to be shipped to me in April. They shipped me my cigars and charged me for the Drw Poker. After 2 calls to customer service I finally get a Customer Service Manager who refunds my money for the FREE cigar draw poker.

I called the club maintanence number on March 22nd before my sceduled shipment of April 1st to check the status of the cigars I wanted. They told me the fire was on back order. I told them I wanted to wait until April 30th for my cigars to be sent to see if the FIRE are in stock yet.

April 30th I call the club number again and find out they're still on back order. They offer to send me the current 10 pack IT sampler with case deal. I tell them no send my tomahawks and I'll wait for my FREE box of Fire. They tell me when the Fire comes in I'm on a waiting list and the cigars will be shipped to me for free when they are in stock and I'll receive an email confirming this.

May 3rd UPS delivers a box to me from Thompsons. I open the box to find my IT Tomahawks and another cigar Draw Poker. Upon looking at the bill I find out they have it set up to send me one with all of my club purchases and bill me for them. So I call customer service and complain to the first person to answer. I then ask to speak to a manager. After about 5 minutes a manager answers the phone and appologizes left and right for the mistake. I ask them why am I still in this club and buying cigars from them when other companies Rockys, Famous, CI, & JRs treat me better and don't overcharge me and have better prices. She appologizes and promptly refunds the money back to my card, and gives me the conformation number.
May 21st at 10PM I receive this email from Thompsons:
Dear MR MYERS,

Thank you for shopping with Thompson Cigar Company.

Order Number: ########

Status Status Info Product No. Description Quantity Unit Price
Shipped Shipped 5/19/2004. R16667 INDIAN TABAC TOMA PR 1 $70.00
If you ordered more than one item, your order may be sent in multiple shipments resulting in multiple delivery dates.
In Stock items do not wait for Back Ordered items to ship. You will only be charged one shipping charge per order.

Shipping Method: UPS GROUND
So I try to call Thompsons ASAP. Nothing try back Saturday.

Saturday I try off and on several times with no success, I set on hold for almost 20 minutes straight.

So I decide to wait until Monday.

Monday monring May 24th I call Thompsons customer service. I speak to a rep who appologizes for yet another Thompsons mistake. I listen to her for about 5 miuntes with no satisfaction yet, so I ask to speak to her manager. 2 minutes after I speak to the customer service manager I'll call her "L". I explain this is the third time Thompsons have screwed me and promptly ask "L" why am I still in this club and buying cigars from them when other companies Rockys, Famous, CI, & JRs treat me better and don't overcharge me and have better prices. I also state that any other company would screwed up the second time they would have gave me something to keep me as a member and a customer. "L" quickly replies she'll take care of the refund ASAP and the overdraft at my bank as soon as they fax the overdraft paperwork to her. The account for my ATM card I only keep a small amount of money there and transfer funds for my purchases for my own safety incase of such mistakes happening. "L" then gives me her extension number and name and tells me if I ever have a problem again to call customer service and tell them her extension number and name and that I am returning "L"'s call and it is important just put "L" on the phone and she can get my info. "L" then informs me to keep the box of Indian Tabac Tomahawks that was shipped with my FREE box of Fire when it arrives to me later that day. I reply thank you and I'll talk to you tomorrow. I log on to the net and check the status of my package from Thompsons, It says it cannot be delivered as they don't deliver to PO Boxes. So I log off and call the same customer service manager back. After about 3 inutes and 1 rep I finally get to talk to "L", I explain they screwed up and shipped them by UPS to my ATM card billing address which is a PO Box, "L" appologizes for yet another mistake and calls UPS to fix the problem. Then to keep me as a customer and in the club "L" tells me from now on all of my Thompsons purchases will be "BILL IN THE BOX PURCHASES" meaning all of my purchases will be shipped to me first (and my Credit Card is no longer on file) after receiving my package from Thompsons I call them to pay if the order is correct or return them if it isn't. So I agree to stay a customer.

So today I call my bank. My $77.50 is back in my account but the overdaft isn't yet. So I hang up and call "L" and tell her the overdraft fee isn't there yet, she asks me to hold for a minute or two. I wait about 30 seconds and "L"'s back and tells me the fax to the Exceptions Dept. didn't come through and to have them please resend it to the customer service fax instead attention "L" so I agree to call my bank and have them try it again to her fax this time. About 20 minutes later I receive a call from "L" with the conformation # that the money was refunded back to my account. Once more she reminds me anytime I have a problem with anything at Thompsons to call her first and she will take care of it for me personally. I thank "L" and tell her I will stay in the club as long as they never make another mistake. The next mistake they make and I'm history and will never do business with them again. "L" assures me no more problems and to call her personally at her ext# if I ever want to check my club order or change it before it ships to me, or if I ever want to purchase anyting from them again. I agree satisfied knowing my Free Box of Fire and FREE box of IT Classic Tomahawks will arrive before 4:30PM today.
2:35 today UPS throws a box at my proch from 10 feet away like they always do, this is why I try to have nothing shipped to my home by UPS. I open the box and ther are my Free Box of Fire and FREE box of IT Classic Tomahawks I have smoked one of each already and they are darn good.

psyktek,
I sending you a PM with:
Customer Service Number
"L"'s Name
"L"'s Extension Number
"L"'s Fax Machine Number
the Thompsons Exceptions Dept. Fax #
I hope this helps you out. If you want you can mention my name :D
Good Luck,
Steve

Man if I was you I would never order from there again! Thats bs that you had to deal with all of that.

-matt

I concur with all the above. I was first introduced to cigars by smoking a Montecristo Belicoso in Korea with a friend that just found out he'd gotten promoted. Over the TDY we talked of cigars alot (he's had the "Cigar Hobby" for about 15 yrs) and I tried a few others over the 2 weeks. On the plane flight back to MI last July (about a week after that TDY) I saw a Thompsons add in the in flight magazine and decided to go their website while home on leave. Miraculously it was one of the only sites that shipped APO, so I ordered one of their starter humi / accessory combos. I get back to Japan 3 weeks later and my Humi was waiting, only to find that they sent the wrong combo, the gauge was broke and the humidifier liquid was missing. After a long 3 month battle none of this was resolved and I gave up. They wanted me to ship back the entire package to exchange the combo (even though it was an identical humidor, only the accessories were missing and I got Thompson cigars instead). Thwen they promised a replacement gauge that never showed up, nor the missing liquid stuff, which I just got some from a friend anyway and he helped my set up the humidor.

First, last and only Thompson purchase. I now shop JR and Famous, both of whom seem to much better, nicer and (generally) cheaper.

-K-

Although I have made 3 purchases from Thompson's Cigars and have never had a problem with them, gamelover2004's post definately made up my mind not to deal with them again. I don't want to run the gambit of this happening to me. I don't have the patience to deal with it.