• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Thoughts on Apple laptops?

Jamie76

For those of you that have an Apple laptop, what are your thoughts on it?

This past week, my year old Dell XPS decided to crash. When I attempted to reinstall WIndows, the CD drive decided to die as well. So, while that POS is now being fixed, I decided to drag out my old Dell Inspiron laptop until I can get my XPS back. No sooner do I get it booted up and it too crashes. Well, I was able to get it up and running again, however it's running Vista. I have literally spent 2 days reinstalling everything on here....that wasn't the worst part. It was getting all the "Windows Updates" only to find half of them failed to download or install....then it was spending hours trying to figure out what each error code meant and trying to find a work around. I got all that taken care of until Vista SP2 was ready to install. I have tried 8 times only to get an error. What was the error? Microsoft doesn't recognize the security certificate! Nice, considering the SP was downloaded from Microsoft's website. I looked up the work around, however, I really don't feel like spending more time trying to fix something I shouldn't have to.

So...with all the problems I have had with PC's lately, and Microsoft, for those that have decided to go with Apple, have you been happy with your decision?

I live in windows world . I left apple 5 years ago . Worst decision I have ever made . Although I am able to communicate with most of the systems now because they are all on windows . My computing experience is crap .
If I could I would switch back to apple in a nano second . I started with mac n 84 . The design aspect alone makes it worth it .

Ok. I'm a PC fellow, but worked in a MAC lab as well...way back when. Also, we run some Apple stuff at work.

First, ironically the applications (video and photo editing) we used all ran better on a PC (even Adobe products). This was when Vista first came out,

Yes, PC's hae issue, but I think we'll see less with Windows 7.

As far as re-installs of older machines...yup...it can take a while. I know too that it took a while to get a Mac running with all the apps we need, when it failed(recently).

So...
1) Whatever you decide, get an external drive and a program to create a 'disk image'(Symantec Ghost as an example). - this will help quickly restore a failed OS.
2) Decide what you want to use it for and choose accordingly.
3) Check your pricing - if that's a concern
4) If you go with Windows again...go Windows 7 x64!

Happy Hunting!

I use a PC a work, but have always had an iMac at home, since taking desktop publishing in college and discovering how much better Adobe apps and the internet ran on Apple.

My work PC experience may not be entirely applicable, since it's a Dell POS with my ISD's kludged together software apps running on a Windows OS two or three gens behind the times, but honestly, you couldn't pay me to own a PC. Even MS Office runs better on my iMac.

That said, if you're into computer gaming, you're pretty much stuck with a PC. If you're into desktop publishing, computer animation, photo/video/music editing, or just spend lots and lots of time on the internet like I do, you'll love going Macbook. Everything's easier, everything's faster, and it all looks better.

If price is no object, the Macbook Air is incredible. So's the Macbook Pro 17" Titanium.

~Boar

Ok. I'm a PC fellow, but worked in a MAC lab as well...way back when. Also, we run some Apple stuff at work.

First, ironically the applications (video and photo editing) we used all ran better on a PC (even Adobe products). This was when Vista first came out,

Yes, PC's hae issue, but I think we'll see less with Windows 7.

As far as re-installs of older machines...yup...it can take a while. I know too that it took a while to get a Mac running with all the apps we need, when it failed(recently).

So...
1) Whatever you decide, get an external drive and a program to create a 'disk image'(Symantec Ghost as an example). - this will help quickly restore a failed OS.
2) Decide what you want to use it for and choose accordingly.
3) Check your pricing - if that's a concern
4) If you go with Windows again...go Windows 7 x64!

Happy Hunting!

Thanks for this. Yes, I think all computers will have issues...perhaps it is just all the issues in one day that kinda pushed me over the top. I am having Windows 7 installed on my XPS laptop, however, my wife has 7 on her laptop and she has issues from time to time. I don't plan to use this potential new laptop for any real high end computing, just the basics, surf the net, e-mail, watching videos, listen to music. I also would need the basic Office applications, which I believe you can get for Apple now. Price is definitely a factor, however, if Apple will give me less hassle, then the increased premium is ok.

I love my mac laptop. I owned Dell the last 10 years. Complete mac fan now. Don't hesitate on the decision to switch over.

I use a PC a work, but have always had an iMac at home, since taking desktop publishing in college and discovering how much better Adobe apps and the internet ran on Apple.

My work PC experience may not be entirely applicable, since it's a Dell POS with my ISD's kludged together software apps running on a Windows OS two or three gens behind the times, but honestly, you couldn't pay me to own a PC. Even MS Office runs better on my iMac.

That said, if you're into computer gaming, you're pretty much stuck with a PC. If you're into desktop publishing, computer animation, photo/video/music editing, or just spend lots and lots of time on the internet like I do, you'll love going Macbook. Everything's easier, everything's faster, and it all looks better.

If price is no object, the Macbook Air is incredible. So's the Macbook Pro 17" Titanium.

~Boar

Yep, I think I remember a time when Dell made a decent computer. They have been experiencing many issues as of late. Take for instance my XPS, I found out after the fact that, many people were getting blue screened because the video card was prone to overheating. Mine was doing that sporadically, however it seemed to resolve itself until the recent crash.

I have a macbook and a high end dell laptop. I only boot up the dell when absolutely necessary

24 inch iMac = Apple fan boy!!

I still own a 15 inch Dell Insp. from 2006ish, it has been wiped and a clean install of Xp, and it is still garbage.
I ant wait until it dies, then I am going with the 13inch Mac Book pro.

The only time I restart the iMac is when the power goes out or the software update tells me I have to, and it has froze on me twice in 3 years...just saying

Tim

MAC and PC both have their problems...none is "better" than the other in my opinion. The deciding factor for me is cost. MAC is WAY WAY WAY overpriced and you can get a damn good PC rig with money wasted on a basic MAC setup. I have various other opinion about MAC, but they are simply opinions. If you can afford it, go with MAC. If not, stick with PC and do some backups and maintenance. PC require a bit more loving than MACs I'm afraid.

By the way, recently there has been an issue with some model of Mac...on it's video cards.

It's funny, take a look at the hardware spec's...Apple beginning to look like a PC inside!

The biggest issue has always been software stability...it's a tough one at times.

Heck, you may even want to look at Ubuntu.

I've been a "PC" since the early 90's, however recently purchased a Macbook Pro last year. I've owned Dell PC's since the early 2000's, and have had good luck with Dell (hardware-wise). I have Win 7 running on my Dell XPS desktop, and applications still crash for no reason. While Win 7 is much more stable than previous releases, it's nowhere near as stable as Mac OS X. OS X is based off a UNIX platform, making it the most stable and secure OS available. I rarely use my desktop these days, since I'm so sick of the sporadic crashing, slowness, spyware, etc. The overall graphics on a Mac are amazing; the LCD's are LED back-lit, and crystal clear.

The majority of the time I use my Macbook. I'm planning on purchasing a 27" iMac in a few months to replace my XPS. The only real reason I would recommend a PC is for gaming, which I am not into, so that doesn't affect me. Keep in mind that you can run Windows 7 on your Mac. I installed it on mine, however have only booted it twice, and that was just to tinker around. :laugh:

If you decide to go with Apple, then I highly recommend you buy refurbished from the Apple Store. I bought my Macbook refurbished, and saved almost $400. The refurbished items are not like your typical refurbished computers; they really are like-new and you'll never know the difference. Usually someone buys a Mac, decides to return it, or maybe the HD is no good, etc... Apple takes the device, rebuilds it, and even replaces the shell (body)/LCD if necessary. You will never know it's refurb'd. The only thing is that it won't come wrapped in the fancy Apple box. It will arrive in a plain brown box, kinda like a Dell. ;)

Check out the Apple Refurb store at http://store.apple.c...?mco=OTY2ODY3Nw

If you don't see what you want right now, check back daily, as they update their inventory what seems to be hourly.

Good luck!

Rod

I also have been a Mac person since the beginning in 1982 with the Lisa. Have had almost every line since. Still own the Plus and use it :-D

As an owner of a 4 year old 17" Macbook Pro, my opinion is, they have the same problems as any other computer.

Macbooks are made by Asus. Not Apple. Get the same quality and specs by buying an actual Asus laptop for 1/4 the price. Just my $0.02

Get an HP laptop with Windows 7. You will be glad you did. I am on my 3rd one and they are great. :thumbs:

PC vs. Mac.....get ready for the flame wars...!!...:laugh:

All computer hardware can and will fail. There are viruses and spyware for Macs....don't kid yourserf. Which one is better? Honestly, I think it's a coin toss. We have PC's because I build my own, and think the value for the dollar is far better with PC's.

W7-x64 on my machine at home and on my monster computer at work, W7-x32 on the wife's machine, and XP (still) on my corporate laptop. Our computers are fast, rock solid, completely stable, and great to work on. I just don't buy the "Macs are so much more reliable than PC's" statements becasue I prove that wrong every day. However, I know how to maintain my machines, and don't crap up my machines with every downloadable spyware and spamware application under the sun. Worked on a guy's machine that had 30 or so of these "toolbars" running in the background.....he couldn't believe how much faster and more reliable his computer was once I deleted all the crapware.

I think either platform can be fine, and really, at the end of the day it's all about personal preference, and understanding the tool so that you can maintain it properly. PC or Mac, they will need some maintanence at some point.

If I were in the market, I'd pick up a Lenovo laptop and W7-x64...and I'd be very happy with the choice.

Cheers - B.B.S.

Edited to add: Depending on the application, maybe something like this or maybe this....

Windows 7 all the way. :thumbs: (XP sucks)

PCs tend to be faster and cheaper.

I learned to program on IBM mid-range computers, and have dabbled with PC since you had to swap disks. (I'm not THAT old, just a computer fan)

In 2008, after having another virus that McAfee did not catch hi-jack my PC, I went to the Apple store. I am not an impulse buyer, but purchased a Macbook before I left the store....and have never looked back.

I use a Dell PC at work, and by no means do I hate PC's, but in terms of ease of use/pleasure of use experience, the Mac wins. I like the slim aluminum case, the touch pad (I never like the touch pad on my PC's) and the ease of connecting to WiFi networks with a simple click. Macs are not immune to viruses, but I have found the system is stable and not as susceptable as a PC.

Give a Mac a try, you will be glad you did.

Cparker