• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Thoughts on Apple laptops?

All computer hardware can and will fail. There are viruses and spyware for Macs....don't kid yourserf. Which one is better? Honestly, I think it's a coin toss.

I think either platform can be fine, and really, at the end of the day it's all about personal preference, and understanding the tool so that you can maintain it properly. PC or Mac, they will need some maintanence at some point.

Cheers - B.B.S.

I think you hit it out of the park......really this sums it up very well.
I have both, like I have said, but will move to an all apple house soon...esp now that Zune will be cross platformed...or at least that is the rumor....

T

Lenovo laptops are one of the best out there. Seems to me, most of the people posting on here bought an Apple after a bad experience with Dell. For the most part, Dell really sucks. Don't let that particular brand sour you on PC.
The PC vs Mac debate will go on forever. Much like BBS, I too build my own PCs and love upgrading hardware whenever I feel the need to.

PC vs. Mac.....get ready for the flame wars...!!...:laugh:

All computer hardware can and will fail. There are viruses and spyware for Macs....don't kid yourserf. Which one is better? Honestly, I think it's a coin toss. We have PC's because I build my own, and think the value for the dollar is far better with PC's.

W7-x64 on my machine at home and on my monster computer at work, W7-x32 on the wife's machine, and XP (still) on my corporate laptop. Our computers are fast, rock solid, completely stable, and great to work on. I just don't buy the "Macs are so much more reliable than PC's" statements becasue I prove that wrong every day. However, I know how to maintain my machines, and don't crap up my machines with every downloadable spyware and spamware application under the sun. Worked on a guy's machine that had 30 or so of these "toolbars" running in the background.....he couldn't believe how much faster and more reliable his computer was once I deleted all the crapware.

I think either platform can be fine, and really, at the end of the day it's all about personal preference, and understanding the tool so that you can maintain it properly. PC or Mac, they will need some maintanence at some point.

If I were in the market, I'd pick up a Lenovo laptop and W7-x64...and I'd be very happy with the choice.

Cheers - B.B.S.

Edited to add: Depending on the application, maybe something like this or maybe this....

Sorry all for the late reply...

Actually the tech I took my Dell to recommended a Lenovo laptop. The tech also recommended Gateway. I remember Gateway back in the 90s, and I think they went through a rough patch too, however according to this tech, they are much better machines now. Even if I do decide to stick with a PC, my days with Dell are over.

This coming weekend I plant to take a drive to the local Apple store however to take a look at some Macs. My wife actually encouraged the trip, though I think she has ulterior motives...namely wanting a new cell (iPhone).

I've been on this debate myself although I have never really had any issues with my PC's that I couldn't fix really. I've got my eye on the new Asus bamboo series laptops that just came out. Hope I can get one soon but we will see.

Sorry all for the late reply...

Actually the tech I took my Dell to recommended a Lenovo laptop. The tech also recommended Gateway.....
Lenovo (was: IBM laptops) yes, Gateway.....nope. IMHO you'd be in the same boat as the Dell, with crappier support........:p

My work laptop is a Lenovo and it is the most solid laptop I've ever had; very easy to recommend.

Cheers - B.B.S.

My T-400 Lenovo Thinkpad was poorly designed and falling apart after six months of owning it. The USB isolators fell out (and the ports were mounted vertically... whose dumb idea was that?), keys fell off, etc. I now have a T-410 and it seems to be a little better designed and is holding up so far.

I am very hard on laptops due to my profession and most of my work machines have been Dell. Every Lattitude or Inspiron I owned was well built and lasted longer than I deserved.

Hey. Dont know if you have set your mind on Apple vs PC or not but I thought I might be able to help.

I spent 2006-2008 in a vocational school studying computer networking and electronics. Ive built a lot of PCs in that time and have had experience with all windows operating systems. Ive built several personal computers for myself and friends as well. In 2008 I purchased a brand new 15" Apple MacBook Pro. In less than a year later I sold all my PC laptops and desktops and now all I own is my apple.

Now, I have never had a system issue with my laptop. But I have taken it in for repairs. These repairs have all been due to hard use or damage on my part. In 2009 managed to slide my laptop off a table and onto the tile floor, causing the hard drive to crash. Apple sent someone THAT day to pick it up and take it away. The next day they called me to update me on its repair and 2 days later I had it, the day before I was not home to receive it so they left me paperwork to call to have it delivered at the time when I would want it. This was all free of course with my apple care plan thats good for 3 years.
They also replaced the entire screen due to 2 dead pixels.

This year however, my charger gave out. They only required I bring it in and they checked to see that it was actually broken, gave me a new one and had me sign for it. They also ran full diagnostics on my laptop while I was there and sent me home with lots of Apple bags. Later that year I again dropped it on the ground next to my pool and the CD burner stopped working. They reserved a part to fix it for me while I was on vacation in CO and called me to remind me they wanted to fix it when I returned. I told them I had to have it the next day for school and they assured me it would be ready. The next morning as I was walking out of class I got a call that it was ready to go. Went in, signed my paperwork and left with it.

The entire time I have owned this laptop, I have never once had a problem with it due to being a Mac, always hard use and faults on my end were the problem. Ive been using this laptop every day for over 2 years, its been in atleast 6 countries, 3 continents, and 12 states. And it is still going strong.

So thats my opinion on it. I like PC's, I see their use, however the only operating system I would use is XP as I feel 7 and Vista are too oriented towards being pretty without being efficient.

My T-400 Lenovo Thinkpad was poorly designed and falling apart after six months of owning it. The USB isolators fell out (and the ports were mounted vertically... whose dumb idea was that?), keys fell off, etc. I now have a T-410 and it seems to be a little better designed and is holding up so far.

I am very hard on laptops due to my profession and most of my work machines have been Dell. Every Lattitude or Inspiron I owned was well built and lasted longer than I deserved.
The T400 was "standard issue" at my company for a while, and we literally have tens of thousands of them in use. Most people, including me, really like them.

New laptops are either Lenovo or HP (faster, bigger screens, etc.).

B.B.S.

.....however the only operating system I would use is XP as I feel 7 and Vista are too oriented towards being pretty without being efficient.
Got any facts that would support that? I and a lot of my co-workers are running W7-64, with some very demanding and memory intensive applications. Very fast, very stable, very happy with it......

The T400 was "standard issue" at my company for a while, and we literally have tens of thousands of them in use. Most people, including me, really like them.

New laptops are either Lenovo or HP (faster, bigger screens, etc.).

B.B.S.

.....however the only operating system I would use is XP as I feel 7 and Vista are too oriented towards being pretty without being efficient.
Got any facts that would support that? I and a lot of my co-workers are running W7-64, with some very demanding and memory intensive applications. Very fast, very stable, very happy with it......

Efficiency in my eyes, when it comes to operating systems is simplicity. Now it may be that I am just so much more familiar with xp that I can navigate menu's in my mind, but I feel their menu system is much easier to follow and navigate.

Some benchmark testing reviews:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/xp-vs-vista,1531-11.html

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-7-vs-Windows-Vista-Boot-Time-Performance-Drag-Race-97269.shtml (pro w7 video at bottom)

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/windows-compared-windows-7-vs-vista-vs-xp-615167 (another pro w7 link)

http://www.testfreaks.com/blog/information/windows-xp-vs-vista-vs-7/ (more detailed benchmark testing)

Again, a lot of times I can picture an XP menu in my head and walk people through troubleshooting. I switched to Mac before 7 and just after Vista. I currently dual boot 10.6/XP on my MacBook Pro. As some of the small time games my friends beta test and I test are not for Mac.

In conclusion, you will not go wrong with a Mac, but you might not like your PC depending on how you use it and who you get it from. If you are as paranoid as a spy than you might have 10 different Anti-Virus' going that will slow down any machine.

Keep it simple. Things will run smoother.

Thank you to everyone that has replied. I found out today that my XPS has a bad hard drive so that is the reason I was not able to re-load Windows. So within a year, the hard drive has failed and the CD drive has failed. I'm officially done with Dell. My plan is to just get it back so I can use it while I search for something new. This old Inspiron, even with a fresh Windows re-load is showing its age.

Thank you to everyone that has replied. I found out today that my XPS has a bad hard drive so that is the reason I was not able to re-load Windows. So within a year, the hard drive has failed and the CD drive has failed. I'm officially done with Dell. My plan is to just get it back so I can use it while I search for something new. This old Inspiron, even with a fresh Windows re-load is showing its age.

Remember, most 'assembly' companies go with the lowest bidder.

I'm a little suprised about the CD...but not the HD. What make of HD is it?

Apple computers: Expensive, pretty, excellent at what they do. Step outside their bailiwick and they're an expensive and pretty door stop. PC is the only way to go with the software packages we use at work.

Not sure off hand, but I want to say Western Digital. I'll find out this week.

Apple computers: Expensive, pretty, excellent at what they do. Step outside their bailiwick and they're an expensive and pretty door stop. PC is the only way to go with the software packages we use at work.

It can, and it will run your PC software. VMware Fusion 3

I suppose now they can. To be honest, the last time I used an Apple computer was probably around the mid-late 90's. Also since I am not the one that makes any purchasing decisions in the company, it makes no difference right now.

How is the performance of PC software on Apple systems, and are they capable of running software that is nearly as old as dirt? File compatability? A few programs we use require either a USB or parallel port hardware lock. Any idea if those would function?

The main programs we use are AutoCAD of various versions, from 2000 LT to 2011, and Foresight our survey calculation program which requires a hardware lock.

Yes, you can partition the hard drive, and boot in W7, XP etc etc.

I have friends who work on a Mac, booted W7 to work in AVID, and then they render out files, reboot to OSX and import into AE CS5.

I build my own PC since I have access to parts at cost. I have a cheap $400 HP laptop and the first program I ran on it was PCDecrapifier. Cleaned it up and booted up faster after it got rid of all the spam crap HP put on it. As for the OP...you need to ask what you want out of the laptop. Because the graphic cards for the PC and IBM laptops can blow your mind away. Depends on what you want it for and how much you are willing to spend. I've seen Windows 7 64 bit laptops for over $3000. But they are hard core gaming machines. So you can spend a hell of a chunk on either side. :laugh:

I love my ole cheapo laptop. When I want to get on something nice, I just turn on my desktop I built. Well, I still need a better graphics card and several SSD's which will be taken care of next year. Now that we are close to Houston, my brother and myself will be able to attend more Computer Conferences. I love keeping up to date with whats coming out.

PC desktops are pretty reliable but laptops are a different story. My wife had a Dell Insperion and it was a piece of junk She got a HP that had motherboard issues.

I had an ASUS that was really good but when I dropped it and researched them they had gone mass market and the word was my laptop was the best they had made (and made no more).

I now have a Lenovo T-500 and have had zero issues. I would have to say after my intensive research and personal experience I would also suggest a Lenovo... especially a T model.

As for Apple, My brother is heavy into Apple and has visited his local Apple store more than once for repairs.

They just released AutoCAD for Apple just this month. Windows apps run fine under OS X, plus you can dual boot. I much prefer working on Windows 7 from my mac, as I have the ability to use the trackpad, which has some very useful gestures, making navigating a breeze. Not to mention, Win7 looks very nice on a mac, maybe because of the LED display. ;) Both platforms are good, just depends what you want it to do. The biggest advantage to Mac over Win is iLife, which allows you to do a lot of really cool multimedia type stuff easily.

The HD was a Fujitsu. From what I understand, they transferred their HD business to Toshiba back in 2009.