• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Thoughts on Drew Estate?

ryan7107

SO, whatta you guys think of them. Not a real big fan of the ACID brand, had a few some were OK some were awful. Their La Vieja brand is cheap and not bad. I've heard some negative comments about Drew Estate, but I thinks it's cool that they think outside of the box. It's also nice to see a company try something new and to do it without charging $20 a stick.

Think they typically have a bad wrap because they are outside the norm.
I've tried several from DE, some from Acid and some from Natural. The little 5 pack of "C-Notes" aren't too bad if you want something quick and different. The "Blondie" has an ok taste to it but it's short. The Natural "Twigs" weren't too great. And if you're going to try only one from DE, try "The Egg." Takes close to 2 hours to finish, it's has a super tight draw and the flavor is mediocre. However, it is the funkiest cigar I've ever seen and if nothing else you can say you tried one.

Robert :thumbs:

I tried 2 different DE cigars while on vacation: "Outdoorsman's Reserve" - a cheap $1 CI/cbid only bundled sandwich; and La Veja Habana Cedar Chateau #2 a national boxed sandwich. The former had draw like a straw but produced a mild simple, nutty flavor. The latter was by far the best sandwich I have had, great draw still mild but more complex. I plan on picking up boxes of them in the future.

I haven't tried the La Veja Habana The Early Years yet, but heard good things about them and will pick up one if I can find a local store which I can buy them at. (No credit card transactions showing anything conciveably cigar related can happen for some time after what I spent in May/June @ cigarbid).

I have no desire to try the acid line right now, and the Natural line is too pricey for the mixed reviews I have read about it. I would also try an Industrial Press single if I found them locally for under $6/stick.

I think because they are the "new guys" on the block and cater to the younger crowd, the folks that are established look down upon DE. I recently had a few from the natural line, not bad nothing to write home about.

All I can say is don't knock it till you try it :p . I had a root from the Natural line and it wasn't bad at all.

rnccen said:
I think because they are the "new guys" on the block and cater to the younger crowd, the folks that are established look down upon DE.
..i agree. Plus the fact that they try to push their flavored lines (acid, kahlua, ambrosia) pretty hard to the younger crowd. However all the shops around here say the can't keep them in stock because younger, 3-times a year smokers prefer a flavored cigar. They are the gen-x of cigars and the baby boomers of cigars don't like thier long hair and loud music.

I happen to think if you find the right ones, DE makes some great cigars. I'm a relative newbie and probably don't have a pallete of a vet. so take my opinion for what it's worth. But the "mixed elements" from the natural line are very nice.....great draw, good flavor, and a very good size. Also the "dirt" from the same line are really tasty and probably the most popular.

I'm one of the oddballs around here that generally likes DE. The way I see it, Acid is the kind of designer cigar that you might have 1 or 2 a year, when and if the mood strikes. Natural is not nearly as "floofy" and a couple of those I would actually light up on a semi regular basis, like every month or two. I really like the LVH-EY line, though I've only been able to find 2 so far to try. I reviewed them Here.

I haven't tried the normal La Vieja Habana line yet and the subcultures are just relly limited Acids or Naturals. The Ambrosia line is another I have yet to track down, but intend to try and review them soon.

I have the Medusa and the Egg in my Humi right now, but a friend and I are saving them unti the holiday season, esp since they felt a little dry when they came in the mail, so we wanted to let them stabilize a bit.

Here are a few links to other threads on DE:

Pimp Stick

Natural

Egg

Medusa

LVH Celebracion

Hope that helps

I have smoked a few of "the normal La Vieja Habana" and found them to be smokeable, in spite of the fact that they are a "Mixed Filler" which to me seemed more Short Filler in attributes. The flavor was quite enjoyable though.

This is the ONLY offering from DE that I have ever enjoyed.

I have a very sad feeling, Treamayne, that you are going to be sorely dissapointed with the EGG (I had one, worst cigar I ever smoked :( ). I only say this so that when that special time comes, you can have another cigar (one you know is good) on deck, so you won't be let down completely by the celebration. ???

A couple of weeks ago I attended DE party at the local smoke shop. It was interesting talking to the rep about his cigars, because I asked him about their demographics. He told me that they were fairly surprised because they thought that the young crowd would be their primary market, but from what they can gather it's actually smokers between 35 and 45 that have been smoking for at least 5 years. He said that they believe that people are just looking for something different to break up their patterns.

Personally I didn't care for their 'infused' cigars at all. I tried a Kuba Kuba and it tasted like a cigar sprayed with a bathroom air freshener to me. I had to toss it right away. I do enjoy "The Early Years", not a bad maduro at all, nothing exciting and complex, but not bad. While I was at the party I won a box of regular LVH, and so far I am pretty unimpressed with them. Mixed filler just isn't working for this one very well. There are plenty of better cigars out there for the same price.

Anyway, just my .02

I'm not a big fan of DE. I had one of those stupid "eggs" once and it was horrible. Lousy tobacco and it would not stay lit.

DE eggs are nasty, but I got one that fell apart...
Got from owner of another site and think he sent it to get rid of it!!
I love the Cnotes for quickies, Vanillas, and blondies....but hey I am a foo foo girl type....
I agree with above comments from DE reps I heard the same down in TExas....I smoke them for a change of taste is all. Still prefer my CAO's, and MX2's...and short little stories!! :thumbs:

PuroBrat said:
I have a very sad feeling, Treamayne, that you are going to be sorely dissapointed with the EGG (I had one, worst cigar I ever smoked :( ). I only say this so that when that special time comes, you can have another cigar (one you know is good) on deck, so you won't be let down completely by the celebration. ???
Well, it'll be new years on a beach in a tropical island (Okinawa) with beverages and 2 small (50-75 stick) humidors. If the Egg and Medusa don't work out, I'm sure well think of something that will. And if our Humi contents aren't enough... ISOMs are legal and the shop is right down the road.

I have to admit that I'm wary now since I haven't seen a good review of the egg yet...although Famous Smoke has it rates as 9.25 of 10. Y'all make it sound as if it should be 9.25 of 100 <grin>

The Egg is TERRIBLE! Mine was so tight and had lots of problems staying lit even. Worst cigar EVER! (in my best comic store guy voice)

I like the natural line a whole lot. The white rabbit is still one of my favorite maduros of all time. I also have very fond memories of Elixer 5-50's and Green Hero. I liked them a lot at one time but I pretty much grew out of the very mild flavors though. Try the natural line and I think you'll be happy unless they are too mild for you. I never did try some of the more imposing looking ones like blackout and leech.

I did try some acid early on. The VERY mild cold infusion tea and the roam wearn't too bad. I then tried 1400cc and was done with them forever. Gave me a sore throat it took forever to get rid of.

Buy some 5ers or sample packs and see what you think though, thats all that really matters in the end.

I liked Blackout alot, Leche was not bad but too mild for me. I actually like the Acid Red Nasty and Nefasto as well.... although the Nasty burned a bit too hot, but I have that problem with all smaller sized 'gars.

Myabe I'll just leave the Egg alone for a while and see if aging it helps...