• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Tight cigars

Zeebra

Daddy still loves Padrón!
Hey guys,

quick cigar related question. I have a batch of REALLY TIGHT Gurkha Ancient Warriors that won't draw worth a damn. All my cigars are stored at about 68% humidity and I don't have any draw problems with anything else. I'm thinking that I should move the AWs to a dry-box and keep them at a lower humidity for a few weeks to see if that helps them out. You can tell the AWs are rolled really really tight when you hold them in your hand so I just wanna know if you think storing really tight cigars at a lower humidity will help the draw. I'm thinking of keeping them somewhere between 58-62%

Hey guys,

quick cigar related question. I have a batch of REALLY TIGHT Gurkha Ancient Warriors that won't draw worth a damn. All my cigars are stored at about 68% humidity and I don't have any draw problems with anything else. I'm thinking that I should move the AWs to a dry-box and keep them at a lower humidity for a few weeks to see if that helps them out. You can tell the AWs are rolled really really tight when you hold them in your hand so I just wanna know if you think storing really tight cigars at a lower humidity will help the draw. I'm thinking of keeping them somewhere between 58-62%

One thing you can try is to dry-box a couple of the Gurkhas for a day or two and see what happens.

I don't know if this will work if they're really, REALLY tight, but you can try rolling them between your fingers with a little pressure while smoking them. That may loosen them up a bit.

I couldn't figure out my tight draw issues, so I just bought some henry tools from Heartfelt. A few pokes and some of that rolling action and a petrified cigar feels and smokes like a million bucks.

I couldn't figure out my tight draw issues, so I just bought some henry tools from Heartfelt. A few pokes and some of that rolling action and a petrified cigar feels and smokes like a million bucks.

Wow, good one! All I have is the draw poker that my wife got me. This one on Viper's page is cool! Thanks for the heads up.

Zee,

I think that if you're going to experiment, try putting one or two in a moist environment, like 75% for two weeks and then going into the dry box (55-58%). The rationale here would be to swell the cigar slightly and then once the leaves have settled in a new conformation, to dry them out to thin them out but keeping them in their swollen configuration. I think that might actually stand a better chance of opening them up. The hope is that the time at higher humidity wold not be too bad for the cigar flavorwise.

I can't imagine poking a stick through my cigars. If a cigar doesn't draw, as opposed to drawing tightly, I cut off sections until it does or until I throw it out.

Wilkey

Hire a virgin to roll them on her thighs until smokable.

I just had a Padron 6k that had a very bad tight draw about half way into in. Luckily I have my Old Boy Corona like that has a tamper. I took the tamper out and pushed it carefully in the Padron. It opened up immediately and I can enjoy it once again. It was stored at 65% so I'd say dry box several under different humidity and time allotted and see what is the best way to deal with the AW. :thumbs:

IMO it's not the RH although Wilkey's suggestion is a good one and may work.

If you have a box the chances are that only some of them were rolled too tight. I have a box of PSD4 from 2,000, several are tightly
rolled but fortunately, it's not the whole box. I can feel the bad boys. Could be that the roller was pissed off with his wife or boss on the
day some of these were rolled and they slipped into my box - this does happen...not the pissed off part, the tight roll.

The Draw Poker does work but not always. I have successfully opened up some tight sticks by poking a hole through and leaving the
Poker in the cigar for about 20 minutes. Others unfortunately are so tight that they just close again soon after firing up the stick and they
end up on a trip to the happy hunting ground.

Brian

Brian,

Yeah, you're right. Some sticks are just plain plugged. The ones that are tight fall into two categories for me. Some are tight but smokeable if you take a very leisurely pace. Draw slowly, lightly and the cigar will deliver its potential. However, others are tight but always on the edge of extinguishing. Those are the ones I chop and/or ditch.

Wilkey

I did a dissection of a plugged cigar to see what was going on. The one I did was a 5 year old PC isom and it turned out the part that was plugged was a section of leaves in the filler that was still really moist for some reason. Thats why I am thinking maybe a few days in a dry box environment may actually work. :thumbs:

Hey I have an idea..

How about grinding the thing up and putting it in a pipe?

just sayin....... :whistling:

What you can do if you have the time is just take it out of the humi and let it dry a few hours. Most ppl are very impulsive about when they are going to smoke but if you know your smoking habbits you can just pull a stogie out of your humi and smoke it later that day... Works for me!