• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Time for a lifestyle change...no longer a "Fat Texan"

BigJake6904

Fat Texan
Well, this has been coming for some time now. Just 4-5 years ago I was the perfect physical specimen...under 10% body fat, energetic, healthy, then life got in the way and a high calorie, high fat diet took over.

I've been exploring options for awhile...I don't do crash diets (they don't work), and I'm too young for any surgical option. I developed an exercise anxiety when I put on weight....going from the guy that everyone admired in the gym, I got the perception that everyone was judging me..."Why is this fat guy even trying?" is the kind of looks I felt I got when I did muster up the will to get back in the gym. That certainly didn't give me any motivation.

After some research, and success stories of close friends, I've gone through the physicals and doctors meetings and have been accepted into the Methodist Hospital's Medical Weight Loss program. It is a non-surgical ketosis diet until you hit your goal weight and then a stage of "transition" where they teach you good eating habits, emotional and boredom based eating triggers, etc...which arms you with the tools to make the right decisions. Then there is a maintenance phase where you check in every so often to make sure you aren't going back to your old self.

Almost all of the weight is lost within the first 6 months...on about a 12 month program, though everyone has different amounts to lose and loses them at different rates. You're in Ketosis until you hit your target. The dieticians, after running all of their tests, told me I should target losing 112-122 lbs....and that it is obtainable within a 6 month period. We'll see...I'm committed and tired of being fat...especially when I know what it's like to be thin and muscular. Plus, I have a newborn son I need to be around for and be able to have the energy to play with.

I'm currently 362lbs. (I've gained over 90lbs. in 4 years). My cholesterol is 170, heart rate is 74, and BP is 136/84. I start Friday. Goal: 240lbs.

I'll post a before photo and progress photos once I start shedding some weight.

Contest: What date will I weigh in at 262lbs (a 100lb. triple-digit weight loss). Winner gets a nice pack of smokes....though it might be some time.

Fri., Nov. 18 - 362lbs.
Wed., Nov . 23 - 352.1lbs
Wed., Nov. 30 - 342.9lbs
Wed., Dec. 14 - 329lbs
Wed., Dec. 21 - 323lbs.
Sun., Jan 8th - 311lbs.

Best of luck Jake! Maybe steamboat will get some motivation from seeing you progress. I know you're gonna do it. Don't forget, you had a kid. That's like instantly 20 lbs. dude. Best of luck!

That's an awesome goal, man. I'm glad you got in the program, and I wish you much success, which I am sure will come. Seems to me, though, that what you REALLY need is that supportive motivation. You were already there, so you KNOW what it takes to get there and to maintain that. Don't let the fear of "I don't know how to do this" stop you or slow you down if you happen to get off track of the program's... ummm.... program, just because you are now in a far different physical place. You KNOW what to do. Do it, and kick this thing's ass. You'll certainly have an off day, or even maybe an off week. It's going to happen. Don't get discouraged by that, and don't get depressed and fall off the wagon because you had a piece of pizza when you probably shouldn't have. Just keep moving forward. You've got a lot of people around locally (I'm sure), with the program, and here on the anonymous internet you can turn to if you need an encouraging word or boot in the ass. Sometimes all it takes to get moving is for someone to tell you, "You CAN do this, and here's how..."

Hit your 100 lb goal, and then shift focus to how you feel and what the mirror tells you, not necessarily just what the scale says. Good luck, Jake.

2 June 2012 is my guess.

Best of luck. Both the wife and I have been slowly but surely losing weight using a simple app on our phones. We have been eating better food, upped our activity and have seen weight and inches along with pants and dress sizes shrink. You can do it!!! If you ever need support, you can PM me call text or whatever. So far wife and I have lost 16 and 18 pounds in a little over a month. Keep at it and do keep focused on how you feel and look versus obsessing about pounds. Muscle weighs more than fat Best of luck. I say you hit your 100 mark by May 10 of. 2012. Oh and a good 2-4 slices of Papa Mirphys take n bake Veggie gourmet Delite pizza with garden salad low fat/Val dressing is a good weapon to eat healthy and eat pizza!
Peace

Ceasar.

Rock it, stay focused on the goal- there will be ups and downs but it sounds like you will be dealing with pros that will provide you with the tools to stay positive.

Congrats for starting the journey- the holidays will need extra focus- don't be so hard on yourself if you want an extra peice of pumkin pie!!

There is a guy at work who is doing this with Methodist's as well. His pounds are shedding off. From watching him you have to stay focused and strict. Good Luck.

June 1st......In my opinion the first step is the hardest one. Last winter I got involved in a Biggest Looser Program at work. I started going to the gym, some short hikes and keeping a better eye on what I ate. I didn't win any money but I've kept the weight off and I feal much better; physically and mentally. Best of luck Jake.

Good luck Jake. As someone who has recently went through the same changes you are getting ready to start, I can tell you it's tough at first, but after a while it just becomes habit. You start to feel bad when you cheat on your diet, or when you skip working out. Just push through the first couple of months and it gets easier from there. I've dropped 75 lbs, and it took me a little over 6 months to do it. There are going to be days/weeks where your weight bounces up and down. Don't get discouraged during those times it goes up. Good luck, and keep after it. In the end it's well, well worth it.

Jake, I've never known you as the fine specimen you've described (on multiple occasions), just the big cuddly bear whom held my hand through my first pass. BUT, I have seen your character and know that behind your kind personality lies the drive to accomplish anything. If you ever want a workout buddy or feel like doing some heavy cardio, just call. As I told you last weekend, I've gotten into cycling and am currently training for the MS150. My training regimen also forces me to do quite a bit of swimming and strength training.

I know you lift considerably more than I do, but if I let you change all the weights in between our sets it will be like a second workout all together :p Also, if you feel like trying a boot camp style workout routine, I have a friend whom owns a cross-fit gym in mid-town.

:cheers: to a new path and many days with Mason.

See you soon buddy.

Will you change your name to "Jake6904" after you lose the weight? :whistling:

I'm confident that if you stick to the plan and have the goal in your sights, it will only be a matter of time before you get there. As John said, chasing a young child around the house will cause you to naturally lose 20 lbs! Just try to be a little creative with what you eat (within the diet of course). The people who I know that have had the most success with diets find a way to eat foods they like while doing it.

I'll say the first 100 lb will be off May 28 for Memorial Day! Good luck!

Go get them Jake. Fortunately, at 240 you'll still be BigJake to me.

Best of luck brother. About 8 years ago I dropped from 280 to 175. It took me about 2 years. Its a tough road, but stick with it. You won't see the results as well as everyone else will. Just stick with your program and trust that it's working. I really like that transition period idea, for me keeping it off proved much harder than loosing the weight in first place.

Good luck with the life change! Your body remembers what it used to be. The fact that you might just have to prod it along a bit before it accepts the changes you've chosen for it is proof that you're doing the right thing. Ignore the clicks and squeals, pay attention to the pain but don't let it run the show. Take your time and find a way to enjoy the ride.

"Slow and low, that is the tempo!"

Congratulations on taking the steps to change your health for the better! It sounds like you are well on your way to hitting your target weight.

Just keep a positive attitude and like others have said there will be days that you feel like you can't do it or will cheat, but that is not the end of the world.

ETA - April 15th 2012 will be when you hit your 100 mark!

Fortunately this is a very black and white program...no gray areas.

The "Ketosis Diet" is an all liquids diet until you get to your goal weight, only consuming 800 calories a day tops...that's about a pound a day loss for me in just calories. No food, not until the transition phase....and no exercise for the first couple months, because you simply aren't consuming the calories for your body to process. You will only break down muscle...not build any.

Fortunately that changes (as I know once I see the results...I'll feel confident getting back into a lifting regiment). It's not a "easy way out" it's a last resort for a program with proven results.

Good Luck My Friend... Cant wait to hear your sucsess story!

Paul

June 14th (my anniversery date)

I wish you the best of luck Jake. A couple of weeks ago I've decided I needed to loose a few pounds as well. I've done it before but keeping if off is the hardest part. I'll be rooting for you. :thumbs:

The "Ketosis Diet" is an all liquids diet until you get to your goal weight, only consuming 800 calories a day tops...It's not a "easy way out" it's a last resort for a program with proven results.

Anyone that would think this is an easy way out should be shot. I'd hate being restricted to 800 calories let alone being on an all liquid diet.

Lifestyle changes are crucial for long term success. For example, I am not wearing any pants....best 2.5 lbs I ever lost.

I wish you the best of luck Jake. A couple of weeks ago I've decided I needed to loose a few pounds as well. I've done it before but keeping if off is the hardest part. I'll be rooting for you. :thumbs:

The "Ketosis Diet" is an all liquids diet until you get to your goal weight, only consuming 800 calories a day tops...It's not a "easy way out" it's a last resort for a program with proven results.

Anyone that would think this is an easy way out should be shot. I'd hate being restricted to 800 calories let alone being on an all liquid diet.

Let alone for 5-6 months. ;)