• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Time for a new Hygrometer

in2xshp

Banned
Ok, so I just checked the Hygrometer I am using in the Wine-o-der and after 5hrs it is only reading 63%. :angry: No wonder why it's been off no matter where I placed it in my humi.

I guess I'm going to have to get a deal on a couple from Rod.

How old is the battery?

Funny, I had one hygro that was doing the exact same thing. In my case, it was because I had pressed the "min" button at some point. Doh! :p

Ok, so I just checked the Hygrometer I am using in the Wine-o-der and after 5hrs it is only reading 63%. :angry: No wonder why it's been off no matter where I placed it in my humi.

I guess I'm going to have to get a deal on a couple from Rod.

Let me give you another shove in the right direction here! Since I've had my humidor I've used the Analog that came with it. I thought to myself "sure, it's probably off, but I can't believe its off enough to make a difference!" After having a few of my cigars smoke like they were a tad wet I decided to grab a digital hygro. Luckily for me I got a great deal on it from Rod and I received it two days ago. I did the salt test and got it to the point where it was right on the money (took about 12 hours) and then took the analog out and put the digital in the humi. The analog always read at 71% Rh. Well, my suspicions of them being wet were right on the money because the digital said the Rh was 84%!! :0 My analog was off 14% and I had no idea (and I salt tested that one as well.) I have since taken out the foam puck that came with the humi and am using only a drymistat tube and the Rh seems to be dropping about 1% every hour, hopefully it'll even out between 62%-69%.

So yes, get a new hygro!!

The Wal-Mart digital ones aren't particularly accurate either.

I use one just to tell the temperature in my room (I have hamsters so I try to keep it somewhat warm). I'm pretty sure it's off by a good 10-15% in humidity though.

I just got two from Rod/Cigar Swag. Work like a charm in my vinotemp

I just got two from Rod/Cigar Swag. Work like a charm in my vinotemp

The Xicar has been right on with my other 3. My are three are perfect. Caliber III's. I bought them all at different times, from different places, no matter where they are when they are together the reading are all equal..

Looks like I am going to have to pick one of those up. I wish they sold a CP sticker and a poster That would look bomb in the smoking room I am going to build at the new house. hint hint
Josh

I just couldn't believe it was that far off, I have been going crazy wondering why the humidity was reading 56-59%. I was chasing the beads for two weeks now thinking they were getting dry. I guess I wasn't too worried about it because everything was smoking fine from the humi. Well bottom line is I have to order a coulpe Xikar's from Rod this weekend, the Wally World one is just going to tell me what outside temp is from now on.

Hi All,

Glad to see that even experience guys have also problems with humidity and Hygro accuracy. (in fact I am not glad for you guys, only feel less lonely).

Heres my problem, I bought a madelaine hygro, salt tested it, 24hrs 47% :angry:
Put another Hydro with it, madelaine 48%, other 36% :sign:
Changed the battery salt tested, Madelaine 24hrs 59% and has been that way for 48hrs. :(
Can I just keep this hygro and do the math?(Idon`t mind doing the math) or the difference is to large and I should change it? ???