• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Time to get a new sponge?

kampui

Hi all,

I'm a newbie to this cigar-science ever since I came back from a recent trip to Cuba. I bought a new humidor during my travels and am just reading up on what I'm supposed to do to maintain everything.

I made the mistake of filling my humidor sponge with tap water and then putting 50/50 in it afterwards. I read now that tap water is not good, so what can I do to clean the sponge? Should I throw it away and get a new one? I was going to re-soak it (or clean it) again with distilled water to try and get the impurities out but not sure if that would help given the situation now. My humidor won't go above 50% at this moment so I'm at a loss. I will probably try dampening the humidor with distilled water tonight.

Putting tap water on it once isn't a big deal at all.

If it's truly a sponge then you surely have nothing to worry about. If it's a standard humidifier (credo type) then only repeated exposure to tap water will hurt it.

Tap water is not harmful to your cigars. The only reason it is not recommended for credos is that the minerals can leave deposits in the humidifier and clog it up - but one time won't hurt a bit.

Welcome to CP kampui.
I use humidor sponges and it a pain in the but.
I just orderd Verns 65 % beads.

http://www.climmax.com/index.html

Try dampening the humidor with distilled water.
That should help.

But every one here swears by Verns Beans :)

Make sure to calibrate your meter. If it isn't, you may be at %80 RH...

Welcome aboard! As the others suggested.... use CLIMMAX HUMIDIFICATION! It's easy to use and works great... don't trust your cigars to anything else!

Aloha,

Wade

emodx said:
Make sure to calibrate your meter. If it isn't, you may be at %80 RH...
I agree on this idea!

there are already many old threads on how best to do this so no need to ask, but would rec doing this as you may already be at the right levels.

as for using tap water one time, you will not die.
when nothing else has been around, I have used tap water a few times and no ill affects.

though I would also now rec. the beads, best bet, stay w/ your disk/sponge/puck for a while, use the extra cash to try a few more sticks.
In a month or two, think about getting beads, they are not needed right away to enjoy the fine hobby that is smoking

:thumbs:

If you're really worried about the songe I am sure several soaks and wringing outs will be fine. Or maybe even a trip through a washing machine cycle (great way to clean your regular kitchen sink sponges).

Second, third, and fourth the notion of calibrating your hygro and getting the beans and welcoming you to CP!

Sponges? Climmax beads? Did I walk into a Seinfeld re-run? :D

Seriously, the beads rock. :)