• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Time Warner High-Speed in NYC

BigMacFU

Tornado of Teeth
Anybody else finding that in the last month the high-speed internet has just turned to crap? My connection is so hit or miss it's disgusting, can barely load a web-site title let alone the content.

Anybody ever use RCN or have the new Verizon FiOS?

Had the thoughts myself and I'm ready to try Verizon High Speed as well. Keep me updated if you find out more about VHS....... :) :thumbs: :cool:

Ive got it in MN... 5 mb, and I've heard rumors that TW is going to 10 soon...

I've had Verizon High Speed since 2001 and love it! No real problems to complain of and if they are having problems, its usually rectified in no time.

I can't speak of any other high speed internet access (Warner Time, etc....), but CAN tell you that Verizon is top notch and worth every penny!

Darren :laugh:

I have Time Warner and have had no problems....

Call Customer Service.... maybe they are having some problems in the area

I can't get RCN in the complex I am in and I tried to sign up with Verizon a while back and had nothing but problems. It was gonna take 2 weeks before it was active.

They dug up my mom's street for Verizon FIOS last year and we tried DSL at first but were getting crap. I looked into the FIOS and we went for it.

WOW. Fantastic throughput. It's every internet user's wet dream. Check out www.braodbandreports.com and go on the forums. You'll find lots of people that agree.

Optimum Online is still just about the best out there. Full 10mbps down, 1 mbps up - I can download at 1.2 MB/s off-peak, and around 700 KB/s during the "rush hours"

Road Runner has been fine for me lately. My father-in-law just got FIOS and it seems to be pretty good so far. He has the 5MB plan

There are times when an entire neighborhood can be slow and spotty, that means there is something wrong with the node. There are other times when your modem is going bad. I recently had to replace a modem and it fixed all my problems. There are also tweaks that you can do to your connection settings which will speed you up.

Do a tweak test over at http://www.dslreports.com/tools

I have had a cable modem since 1997 when @Home was still in business. Verizon DSL cannot come close to the speed of a cable modem, I get 3mgs a second speed or better most of the time.

Does your connection drop completely? Ping www.yahoo.com and tell me what your (ms) return times are... and at what times.

I worked for @Home, started out in cable modem tech support in '98. There are several reasons for possible degradation in HFC service starting with whether you live in a large apartment or single family home. PM me if you need any suggestions for how to handle customer support.

I know where all the ping stats should be and all that and during the middle of the day they're usually fine. But, come evening and zilch, I crawl to a screeching halt at 3KB/s, that's right baby, High Speed for sure!!! I was just wondering how widespread the problem was, on broadband reports there have been a ton of problems like mine reported in the last month. I definitely think it's a node problem too, but all I've read on the boards is, "They tell you to unplug your modem and restart your computer, it's never their problem, always yours."

Thanks smallg for the offer for help, basically, I cannot even ping www.timewarnercable.com when the connection is shoddy, then I get 17ms pings to yahoo. But, if I try to load a webpage, good luck, it took over 60 minutes and tons of timeout requests just to get timewarner's customer service contact page up. If I do decide to call, I'll let you know, I'm gonna see if this keeps happening over the next week.

Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your cable modem. I have been working for Adelphia for 5 years now (and I have the pin to prove it!) in their cable modem tech support call center. These sorts of issue always crop up with nodes and headend SNR levels. Cable has to be the most fickle medium on the planet. Hope you get it sorted out soon.

Optimum Rules! Too bad I moved to road runner land and I'm too far from the CO to get DSL. Soo beep, beep!!! I just have to wait 10 yrs for FIOS here.

Sean, if you have a Time-Warner issued modem, have them download the newest firmware to the modem. I have TW and was having "sudden disconnects" (luckily I have a "Business Class" account and thus get GREAT customer service :D ) and they upgraded the firmware and have had no problems since.

I would make them come out for a service call and also make them bring a new modem just in case.