• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Timepiece Death, The search for a new Watch

Thanks for the Movado advice guys. I do like some of their more classic looking lines like the one lictures above, but the pirce range is too high for me right now, even with the discounts.

I also hesitate at buying watches from name brand desingers of clothes. My old watch was a BCBG Max Azeria, and the one before a Kennith Cole. I am more tempted to go with a company that just makes watches this time. Though I understand Movado Makes Hugo Boss, the people who make what I can afford, lets say Armani Exchange or Guess, I believe are making a cheaper watch for flash factor.

I got this Seiko SKX031K2 used 5 years ago on Fleabay for about $90. I took it to an old Armenian watch maker to have it cleaned and overhauled. That cost me $125. It has run flawlessly since. Nice big features for old guys to read without glasses.
seiko.jpg

I say used, but the watch was represented as new at the time I bought it. It was from an outfit in Hong Kong. Within a few months, it started loosing 5+ minutes per day and actually stopped a few times. The watch maker reported that it had suffered some significant shock that unbalanced the movement. He apologized that Seiko parts are generally very expensive, but it needed both upper and lower movement bushings. I could not find any other watch whose appearance/esthetics please me as much. I'd spend it again.

I checked and found several still listed on fleabay ~$125. I might just get another.

I got this Seiko SKX031K2 used 5 years ago on Fleabay for about $90. I took it to an old Armenian watch maker to have it cleaned and overhauled. That cost me $125. It has run flawlessly since. Nice big features for old guys to read without glasses.
seiko.jpg

I say used, but the watch was represented as new at the time I bought it. It was from an outfit in Hong Kong. Within a few months, it started loosing 5+ minutes per day and actually stopped a few times. The watch maker reported that it had suffered some significant shock that unbalanced the movement. He apologized that Seiko parts are generally very expensive, but it needed both upper and lower movement bushings. I could not find any other watch whose appearance/esthetics please me as much. I'd spend it again.

I checked and found several still listed on fleabay ~$125. I might just get another.

I've got about 20 Seiko watches - the outlet used to be near me and they ALWAYS had great deals.... I just bought my dad an incredible Seiko flight chronograph watch for $140 - fantastic deal!!!

SNA413.jpg

Then - just one day - they up and closed - moved out - gone - FOREVER... :0

Bastids!!! :angry:

I've got about 20 Seiko watches - the outlet used to be near me and they ALWAYS had great deals.... I just bought my dad an incredible Seiko flight chronograph watch for $140 - fantastic deal!!!

SNA413.jpg

Man, I wish I could find a deal like that. I love my Seiko Kinetic. I'm going to miss it while it's being serviced. I only have it and an old Timex I wear fishing. I really need to get another decent watch or two.

Man, I wish I could find a deal like that. I love my Seiko Kinetic. I'm going to miss it while it's being serviced. I only have it and an old Timex I wear fishing. I really need to get another decent watch or two.

I still have a gold version of this one. I replaced it because I could no longer read it, even with my glasses. My watch guy dropped a battery in it to use while the SKX was being worked. That took about 6 weeks.

I hear ya! One of my best deals at the Seiko outlet was the Titanium Kinetic they clearances for $99 (retail was around $800). I've worn that watch everywhere and abused the crap out of it. It virtually looks like the day I bought it. Not a lick of trouble!!!

It's a shame the damn outlet closed - I see I could have made a few fivers for watches deals... :D

I really like both of my Citzen eco-drives. I cannot stress enough how nice it has been to have extremely accurate watches always ready to go. Never behind, never ahead, never needs a battery replaced.

Im suprised we dont have more mechanical/automatic watch guys on here. I must be alone here!
Im not a huge fan of BATTERY operated watches.

Im suprised we dont have more mechanical/automatic watch guys on here. I must be alone here!
Im not a huge fan of BATTERY operated watches.

I've just never had one. I always assumed they would cost more than I'm willing to spend on a watch so i never really looked at them. I've had my Seiko Kinetic for 9 years now and I've never had a problem with it.

Do you have any experience with the lower priced Invictas? The 8926 has caught my eye as far as price and looks go. I just don't want to end up with a watch that is throwaway. I like stuff that lasts and that I can get repaired when the time comes. I'm not a big subscriber to the "throw away society".

The Tissot I have is automatic and I love it. I just need to get a winder for mine, so I won't have to worry about it.

The Tissot I have is automatic and I love it. I just need to get a winder for mine, so I won't have to worry about it.

I'm with ya - that's the only problem with automatic watches.

That Kinetic drives me crazy because you really have to move around quite a bit before it finally gets up to full power. The Seiko store had some kind of electronic device that would fully power the thing up in about a half hour - but I don't know where you'd get one. I do like my Rolex - that thing starts working just fine the minute I put it on my wrist. And I have an Ebel that has a manual wind (called "direct drive") to supplement the automatic movement - I like that as well.

As far as batteries - my biggest problem is you just never know when they're going to die - and when they do it's a HUGE issue to get a replacement battery. I've had a lot of places that will not touch my more expensive watches - they refer me to a jeweler that carries the watch line. Sometimes I have to travel far for a fix, and those dadgummed jeweler's really sock it to ya for a simple battery change...

Hi

I'm not sure that I can help you if the budget is 300 dollar :laugh: But you can get a good deal if you buy a used watch and that is relative new. I bought a Breitling that was a couple of years old and I love it. I use it as my everyday watch and I also have an IWC for when I dress up. Good luck on the watch purchase :)
superocean_front_view.jpg

Best deal for a sub-400 is almost certainly Bernhardt Watch - www.bernhardtwatch.com. I have a yellow Corsair and a blue/orange Globemaster. Both have ETA movements, the Globemaster a hand-modified one to add a GMT complication. They're assembled in North Carolina by a really nice guy, Fred Amos. Best customer service you've ever heard of.

Right now I'm wearing a Seiko SKX007. Same movement as the SKX031 Bruce has, the 7s26 (all Seiko movements, btw, are what you call a "manufacture" - every piece down to the lubricating oil is made by Seiko. Very few companies, nearly all high-end like Rolex and IWC, use in-house movements). It's essentially bullet-proof, both movement and case, which makes it a good watch for a working-on-the-bike day. I've also found that epoxy comes off the bracelet quite well. Bonus.

If you're not fond of the look of the dial and hands, there are guys who modify them with new dials, hands, bezel inserts, re-luming, bead-blasting... mine is modified to look like a Doxa. Like this, but with plongeur hands.

If you're into interesting, somewhat baroque design in an ISO-spec diver, the Seiko SKX779 or 781 is the way to go. Otherwise known as the Orange Monster or Black Monster (review). The bracelet alone is worth the cost of the watch (about $150). Extremely solid. Best of all - in the dark, it glows like Chernobyl. You can almost read by it in bed.

Best deal sub-$100 is a Seiko 5. Any Seiko 5. Seiko makes maybe 50 variations, a dozen different case styles and different dial designs. All modern ones have a clear caseback. My wife has a women's Seiko 5, polished case and black dial with arabic markers; we dispensed with the bracelet in favor of a leather strap.

I'd also take a look, if the Seiko 5 (37.5mm case diameter) is a little small on you, at the Seiko SRP* series. Comes with a 4r16 movement, a step up from the 7s26. Decorated rotor. I don't have one, wish I did, need to lighten my collection somewhat rather than buy another.

Last but not least: check out Orient, which has some very cool watches. Not distributed in the USA, but they're available through 3rd parties (link) or on the Bay. Orient is owned by Seiko, but is a 100-year-old company in its own right. Orient movements are also a manufacture. I bought myself this one when I got my job this fall. It's huge. It's shiny. It looks good on my wrist. Can't complain.

(There's a reason watch guys are called WIS - watch idiot savant)

I recommend going to http://www.chronoshark.com . Works like Joe's Cigars on CI in the sense that they have a new watch deal daily. I have seen some pretty nice watches at even nicer prices. Well worth checking out.

I must add.

http://watch.1saleaday.com/
http://www.tanga.com/deals/current/watch
http://www.fractionprice.com/cust/dailydea...5_IRJoHRbvQlD2Q
http://www.watches.yugster.com/
http://www.worldofwatches.com/cust/dailyde...Vb1RUiXoAE1Z5jg

And I recall reading somewhere that Invicta customer support was rather poor.

I've been a watch guy for a while and the deal on Invicta is: ok watch, good price, lots of styles and choices, not easily repaired. Most watch repair places won't touch them. At that price point, they are cheaper to replace than repair. You can find them for sale on the shopping channels and mall kiosks.

A full watch service is at least $300 (5-10 year event, depending on the watch), so you can figure a watch that costs less than $500 probably isn't worth spending hundreds on repair/service. Although you can for sentimental or other reasons. I have.

On other hand. if you drop $1000+ on a watch from a company like Rolex, Omega, Breitling, etc., you can have it repaired and serviced for years. I'm planing to wear my Omega for 40 years and then give it to my son. With a full service, the watch will look and run like brand new.

I am also a big fan of Seiko. They make some mechanical watches that are very good, very robust and reasonably priced. While the movement is probably not repairable, it can be replaced for a reasonable amount, so as long as parts are available, the watch could be kept running. Some Seiko watch models have been around for years.

Once you get hooked on the fluid measurement of time by an analog device, the digital tick-tick-tick of a battery watch just doesn't get it. Time moves like a sweeping second hand, it doesn't jump from second to second.

Just my 2 cents.

I've been a watch guy for a while and the deal on Invicta is: ok watch, good price, lots of styles and choices, not easily repaired. Most watch repair places won't touch them. At that price point, they are cheaper to replace than repair. You can find them for sale on the shopping channels and mall kiosks.

A full watch service is at least $300 (5-10 year event, depending on the watch), so you can figure a watch that costs less than $500 probably isn't worth spending hundreds on repair/service. Although you can for sentimental or other reasons. I have.

On other hand. if you drop $1000+ on a watch from a company like Rolex, Omega, Breitling, etc., you can have it repaired and serviced for years. I'm planing to wear my Omega for 40 years and then give it to my son. With a full service, the watch will look and run like brand new.

I am also a big fan of Seiko. They make some mechanical watches that are very good, very robust and reasonably priced. While the movement is probably not repairable, it can be replaced for a reasonable amount, so as long as parts are available, the watch could be kept running. Some Seiko watch models have been around for years.

Once you get hooked on the fluid measurement of time by an analog device, the digital tick-tick-tick of a battery watch just doesn't get it. Time moves like a sweeping second hand, it doesn't jump from second to second.

Just my 2 cents.

Well I just picked this lil beauty up for a song. I always loved these large divers watches. I have a few watches :whistling:. Luckily as far as service I guess I am just blessed with a friend that is a Watchmaker for Roger Dubuis.
030.jpg

031.jpg

This is a watch I have, sadly the picture does not do it justice at all. Its bulletproof have had it over 3 years and its awaly right on time and it has been though alot of abuse lol.

51fEUYiYYmL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

It is $299.99 Here

<snip>

Just my 2 cents.
:thumbs:

Being a watch whore. Owning over 40+ Watches ranging from Casio to Zenith.

For your range I suggest.

Automatic mov't

Invicta Grand Diver (Submariner type watch). I have not put mine down since I purchased it.

Price= Under $300 Model 3044

Blue face
Black face
Red face

Movement:
Automatic 21 jewel * Shock resistant

Case and dial:
47mm * Surgical grade solid stainless steel * Unidirectional turning bezel * Screw down stainless steel skeleton exhibition case back * Etched helmet logo on screw down crown * Anti-reflective mineral crystal with magnifier * Genuine mother of pearl dial * Tritnite® luminous hands and markers * Date display

Band:
Surgical grade solid stainless steel with diver buckle and safety clasp * Helmet logo molded on the solid end pieces of the band

Water resistant: 300 meters

watch_3044.jpg

I can suggest more. But need to know more.

-case size you are looking for
-auto or quartz movement
-leather strap, stainless steel strap, rubberized strap
-stainless steel color, rosegold color, gold color, black adonized, two-tone color
-movement type. (japanese ,swiss) complicated movt, simple movement
-skeleton case

This one was the winner, and I looked into all of your suggestions. I spent hours looking at watches. In the end, the Swiss movement, automatic and crystal face did it for me. I of course loved the looked of many of the watches, but with only one to buy, this was it. If you are wondering, it looks great on me :laugh:

Thanks for the help CP family.

Great choice in watch..beleive me you will not regret buying it!!

I was watching Shopnbc Invicta hour 1 last night and they had an extremely nice Invicta auto movement watch last night, called the Invicta I force Sport. Such a great Deal I had to jump on it.

It is a hybrid auto movement Invicta/ Seiko

Strap: Polyurethane rubber
Movement: Japanese Seiko NH25A automatic w/ 21 jewels
Crystal: Special Hybrid
Crown: Push/pull
Clasp: Buckle
Strap Measurements: 10-1/4" L x 30mm W
Case Measurements: 49mm L x 46mm W
Water Resistance: 10 ATM - 100m - 330ft

The picture does not do this watch any justice.
Once I saw Jim Skelton wearing it last night I was sold.

******BTW they will be showing the watch again tonite (10PM EST SHOPNBC CHANNEL). *******