• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

TiVo.....who has one?

DUAL TUNER

This is an option only for DirecTivo- the box itself has 2 satellite input lines (sat1 and sat2), you will need a DUAL LNB dish, which gives you these 2 lines, or 2 single lnb dishes (1 for each sat feed). The Directivo box itself, has 2 seperate tuners inside, feeding off each of the 2 lines, this option ships DISABLED, and must be enabled either at first startup or by re-doing the satellite setup guide (very simple), once the option has been enabled, you can then record from each of the 2 sat feeds (tuners) independently (sp?), which is to say, record 2 different shows from 2 different channels at the same time. AS FAR AS I KNOW, this is an option, and it is not something they (directv or tivo) charge for. Since it works with one access card (in other words, you do not need another access card for the other tuner- since its in the same unit). This option is not available on standalone units or units designed for cable tv (sorry). TO MY KNOWLEDGE- all DirecTivo (unit made for DirecTV satellite) have the Dual Tuner hardware- easy to check- look at the back of your DirecTivo box and see if you have a SAT 1 feed and a SAT 2 feed (2 feeds, dual tuners). As far as I know, any dish can be made a DUAL LNB dish by simply replacing the "antenna" portion of the sat dish- which is the part at the tip of the arm that points back to round (oval) dish. Probably the most common are the RCA models- and Dual lnb antennas can be had on Ebay for very cheap, and replacing it is a matter of 1 screw and more cable line. simple.

HACKING TIVO and HD UPGRADES

From what I've heard, read and talked to people about it, Philips (the TIVO people), don't mind when users hack their boxes with Network cards- because they (tivo) wants users to make that PHONE HOME call via the internet, because it saves them money on the 1-800 number. So they (tivo) encourages that hack. I don't think they like any of the other hacks :p but the HD hacks are very very simple- on the series 1 anyways. I've never done a series 2 hack, so I have no idea whats involved. Hard drive hacks are EXTREMELY easy and all the files and documentation can be found at HINSDALE TIVO HOW-TO, this is a great site to learn from, and these are the instructions and tools I used to upgrade my HDs in both of my units. GOOD READING.

And for what its worth, if you live in an area with a Fry's Electronics (outpost.com), they run AMAZING deals on hard drives, the last HD's I bought from them were 120gb western digital's with 8mb buffer, in retail boxes for $58 (after $50 rebate)! I got 5 of them (xbox, tivo, tivo, sons computer, wifes computer), and I bought a 160gb Maxtor 8mb buffer for $79 after $40 rebate (went in the Tivo). I'm not sure if those deals are on the web site (outpost.com), because I have a fry's about 2 miles from my house :D

More intense and perhaps somewhat questionable hacking methods for ALL Tivo units (standalone, cable and satellite units) can be found at DealDataBase Forums, every question you could possibly have can be answered there and probably already has been, so do a seach and most likely you'll find your answers ;) Another good site is TivoCommunity.com, but I stick with DDB myself.

TIVO USAGE

I gotta tell you, for those of you who are reading this and DO NOT have a tivo, you're probably thinking we're all nuts going on about this... I know I thought that before I had one, but I have to tell you, once you've tried TIVO for a short time, you'll never figure out how you watched TV without it. Since we got our Tivo, I'm not even 100% sure what days/times my favorite shows come on anymore :p, because after you tell TIVO you wanna watch that show everytime it comes on, Its just always there when you're ready to watch it! :) HOW CAN YOU BEAT THAT!?

:thumbs: Toaster the Tivo Junkie

See, told you Toaster had all the dope on the subject.

I could be wrong but I'm sure I even seen a replacement dual LNB feed horn at Wal-Mart a while back for like $20 or something. I was very suprised to see it there.

I have had my current reciever for a while now. In fact when I first got it for Christmas like a couple years ago Tivo wasn't even fully implimented or orerational yet. I had to wait (if my memory is serving me correctly) til ike mid January for it all to be working as advertised. Then a few months later I got a notice from someone through the reciever that my dual recieve / record functions of the reciever were now able to be activated if I wished for a small additional monthly fee. A lot has gone on in the time since all this so I have no doubt it has all changed and isn't applicable anymore.

Toaster's got it right on fogetting about when shows are even on anymore. Tivo is SO amazing. I don't know how many times I've been at someone elses house and I've wanted to back up and see something again then realise I cant because Im not at home.

TIVO ROCKS !!

I will second the recommendation for the Hinsdale HOW-TO. That's how I learned to add drive space to mine. When I first got it, I did a backup to CD-ROM (using utilities found on the Hinsdale site) of the machine before I ever turned it on. Then I plugged it in, let it download all the latest updates and backed up again. Then I added an 80GB drive (the biggest that was available back then) to the original 20 GB drive. About 2 years ago the 20 crashed and I happened to have a 40 lying around. I replaced the 20 with the 40 to give me a total of 120 GB. I had also been doing backups whenever new software revs came out. After the 20 crashed, I was sure glad I had those backups!

I'm not sure if TiVo minds the hacks. They seem to have been pretty cool about it from the start. They have looked the other way and in some cases even assisted with the hacking. The one thing they really don't like is ExtractStream which lets you extract and decrypt the mpeg files from a TiVo.

Lastly, 9th Tee has lots of goodies for TiVo hacking, such as drive brackets, cables, network cards, etc. They'll even do your upgrade for you if you're that clueless, but as Toaster says, just adding a drive to a TiVo is a snap. I've got Linux boxes that I can mount the drives to but you really don't even need that. You can download an ISO of a bootable Linux CD-ROM and if you can plug in cables and type, you can upgrade a TiVo.

FatherTiresius said:
Lastly, 9th Tee has lots of goodies for TiVo hacking
Ooooh--- That's a good one, I forgot to mention 9th tee... Definitely the place for "parts" ;) and to my knowledge the only place to get the network adapters (and a word to the wise, don't get the wifi card if you can avoid it. I have the wifi setup and its super slow, hard wired setups are easily 2x to 3x faster, and when you're pulling 2gb files off a tivo- THATS A BIG DIFFERENCE. :lookup:)

Heads up to FatherTiresius, for remembering to post the 9th Tee link--- MORE GOOD STUFF! :D

I think I may get the WiFi version anyway. I mainly want it so that I can run TivoWeb and use the internet for program downloads/software updates. I can tolerate the slow down in performance for the convenience of not having to run CAT-5 into my living room.

Toaster, do you have a SliMP3 player? You sound like the kind of guy that would dig that too. I don't have one yet but plan to get one soon...actually I'll probably get the Squeezebox (WiFi version).

I do not :( I built a home theater pc that sits next to my AV stuff, and its connected to my lan, so I use it for streaming mp3's and stuff... I have 3 kids, all of them have their own computers, all with MP3's, plus mine, plus my wife has a laptop! THATS ALOT OF TUNES! :D

*note: all obtained LEGALLY! (yeah right! :p)

I've heard good things about the SliMP3, I'm not familiar with the other one. Depending on exactly what you're looking for- I highly recomend a HTPC, there is some AWESOME software out there for building your own system, and makes it easy to manage and operate (ie: if anyone else in the house wants to use it, you don't have to be there :p)

Check out myhtpc.net, Pablo has good freeware software, all opensource- and very supported by its users. Great forum there too. It won't look as slick as a dedicated MP3 streaming device like the SliMP3- but it does ANYTHING you want it too and its ultimately configurable, upgradable and changable.

GOOD LUCK.

:thumbs: Toaster

Requirements

myHTPC is supported on Windows 98 and above.
:(

Other than that it looks very cool.

SliMP3 (or Sqeezebox) is perfect for me because I keep all my mp3's (actually they're not mp3 but ogg vorbis) on my file server. So I can run the server program that dishes up mp3's to the SliMP3 on that box. It also has a web interface so with a wireless laptop, I can control both my music and my TiVo from my couch.