• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

To all folks who Weight-lift/workout/body build

Eating 2000 calories a day and lifting is stupid. Your body will cannibalize itself.

Doc.

How many power smokes are you getting in?

I've been on the Churchill regiment with plenty of calories and I feel great.

Thanks for the advice guys, I plan on going to the store this weekend to get started on this my shopping list so far is the following:
almonds
Skim milk (chocolate)
Lean Meat
Eggs, Egg whites??
Whole wheat Bagels
A huge jar of peanut butter
Veggies
A huge jar of Cottage cheese
Oatmeal
Salmon
apples
bananas    
This by no means all I am getting just some stuff to gear towards carbs, calories and proteins.  Please if you have any suggestions let me know.

Eating 2000 calories a day and lifting is stupid. Your body will cannibalize itself.

Doc.

This.

You need at least a thousand more calories, minimum. Keep the total fat percentage low, carbs down, concentrate on lean protein, fresh vegetables, and make friends with things like oatmeal and yams.

In general, a carb booster drink before the workout and a protein shake after. You can't burn protein quickly enough for workout energy---it's for recup/repair, so your body has something to build muscle WITH.

Creatine works pretty good. You make it part of your diet and it's there when you need it for the next set of your workout. That and Tribulus Terrestris are the only supplements I used when I was doing heavy iron, and I don't recommend the Trib unless you don't mind duct taping your pecker to your leg before leaving the house each day. Good for working out, but the side effects are sorta . . . interesting. :whistling:

Change your routine from time to time, try different angles, different order of exercises, different kinds of workouts. You have to keep it fresh or you get stale and stop progressing.

~Boar

I also wonder if you have a certain peak strength time, when your body will perform better. Mine has always been about 7:00 pm.

I also wonder if you have a certain peak strength time, when your body will perform better. Mine has always been about 7:00 pm.

That's a good point, too. I like 10:00 AM workouts, but that's mostly because the gym's not crowded. Rule of thumb I was always told was work out in the morning if you're trying to lose weight, in the evening if you're trying to build muscle.

~Boar

Pre-Workout: L-Carnitine and/ or Hemo Rage

Post-Workout: BCAA and 50g of protein.

You'll see wonders of difference in a short amount of time.

Thanks for the advice guys, I plan on going to the store this weekend to get started on this my shopping list so far is the following:
almonds
Skim milk (chocolate)
Lean Meat
Eggs, Egg whites??
Whole wheat Bagels
Veggies
Oatmeal
Salmon
apples
bananas    
This by no means all I am getting just some stuff to gear towards carbs, calories and proteins.  Please if you have any suggestions let me know.
If you go to Walmart or a GNC, pick up the Whey Protein jug. Then make a Protein shake. I had a few when my teeth was removed. There is a couple of other things you will want to do. Eat more calories first of all. As Doc noted. :pDuring my time in the Army, they wanted us to eat some olives every day with lunch and dinner. But we was running 10 miles a day 4 times a week. If you enjoy beer, you could drink one the night before a good run. Make sure to re-hydrate yourself as well. Plus, your body needs to recoup from all that you are doing. If you lift 3 days a week and running 4 days a week, your body doesn't get a chance to rest. Maybe run 2 days a week and lift 3 days a week. Then rest and watch your calories over the weekend. But you need at least one day to recover. Of course I'm not a medical doctor and going from previous experiences.

Reading this thread is good humor to me, because I've done all the wrong things in my attempts to gain weight (muscle). I smoke too many cigars, I drink too much beer, I don't eat enough... However, my workouts have given me strength and that has been more important for where I am in life. I've got a couple of kids to contend with and they don't care how big their dad is. So long as I have the strength to keep up with them. So, do your best bro. It's all about giving it your 110%. If you do that you will meet your goals, whatever they are.

Doc.

This.

You need at least a thousand more calories, minimum. Keep the total fat percentage low, carbs down, concentrate on lean protein, fresh vegetables, and make friends with things like oatmeal and yams.

In general, a carb booster drink before the workout and a protein shake after. You can't burn protein quickly enough for workout energy---it's for recup/repair, so your body has something to build muscle WITH.

Creatine works pretty good. You make it part of your diet and it's there when you need it for the next set of your workout. That and Tribulus Terrestris are the only supplements I used when I was doing heavy iron, and I don't recommend the Trib unless you don't mind duct taping your pecker to your leg before leaving the house each day. Good for working out, but the side effects are sorta . . . interesting. :whistling:

Change your routine from time to time, try different angles, different order of exercises, different kinds of workouts. You have to keep it fresh or you get stale and stop progressing.

~Boar

Aaaah, the good ole days! ;) That's like the "natural" testosterone booster for us old guys. Thanks for the reminder Boar, I forgot how fun those were.

Good luck to you Dave, sounds like your body is being overtaxed by the high intensity training. Take a couple of days rest and try switching your slow twitch muscles to low rep, high weight for the big body parts like legs and back. Keeps your muscles confused so they don't get used to the workout regimen. Try Muscle Milk, tastes good and you said you didn't care about NOT seeing a 6-pack. :p

Doc.

This.

~Boar

I just re-read this, I need some clarification. Since you warn me about the side effects of Tribulus Terrestris, since you take them yourself, does that mean you duct tape your pecker before leaving the house? :D

David

I just re-read this, I need some clarification. Since you warn me about the side effects of Tribulus Terrestris, since you take them yourself, does that mean you duct tape your pecker before leaving the house? :D

David

I ran out of duct tape and had to stop taking it . . . :laugh:

~Boar

Don't judge me, bro. :p

duct-tape-man.jpg

~Boar

I eat a lot of chicken, lean beef, lean pork, fiber, carbs (pasta, etc.) I have a protein shake after every workout too. Rarely do I eat any greasy foods, but the occasional trip to In-&-Out is hard to avoid.

I don't usually gain weight quickly, but the last time I stuck with it, I gained about 10 lbs in 3 months. I just got back into it again after about a year of being lazy at the gym, or not going at all. I'm not looking to gain a lot of weight though, maybe 20 lbs total. I'd prefer to be more tone than bulked.

I used to eat about 4000-5000 calories a day when I was swimming competitively. Let me tell you, it gets hard to put that much food down every single day. But if you don't, you'll lose weight. If you're eating 2500 calories a day, throw in a protein shake on top of that, you should be good. Just make sure they're healthy calories.

Oh, make sure to drink A LOT of water if you're going to take creatine.

almonds
Skim milk (chocolate)
Lean Meat
Eggs, Egg whites??
Whole wheat Bagels
Veggies
Oatmeal
Salmon
apples
bananas
This by no means all I am getting just some stuff to gear towards carbs, calories and proteins. Please if you have any suggestions let me know.

Honestly there isn't that much grains can do that vegetables can not, so I would nix those. Fruit is okay in moderation but peanut butter is basically a death sentence if you are trying to watch calories. If you want to gain weight go for it, stick your spoon in and get a mouthful, but remember a serving size is 2 Tbsp. Oatmeal for me is a once every other week diversion from eating 3 whole eggs. Whole eggs are what you need to be eating. Whole eggs are not the devil that everyone makes them out to be, the fat in the yolk is essential and does little to effect the cholesterol in young otherwise health adults.

Strength is a relative term. Who is stronger the guy who can bench 360lbs @ 160lbs or the guy who puts up 405lbs @ 275lbs? Ultimately you need to decide whither you want to be stronger or fitter in the short term; realistically you aren't going to be able to achieve both quickly.

If you want to go the strength training route then eat a metric ton of food, the cleaner the better but you goal should be massive amounts of calories. Look into 5x5 or Starting Strength (should be available at your local library). Putting in a your rough stats you BMR is approx 2,600 calories a day, your current diet leaves you short 600 of that goal. Given those numbers you should be losing a little more than a pound a week of weight. To gain, simple eat more but keep in mind you will have to diet later to get to the 5%-8% body fat.

Conversely if you want to get "fit" and down to the 5%-8% body fat you will need to run a calorie deficit to burn fat. I would still recommend doing some of the major compound exercises like bench, squat, dead-lifts, and barbell press and would borrow add in some Sumo Deadlift High Pulls, Over Head Squats and pull-ups. Mix those together with some sprints, burpees, lunges, etc... and you will have a great work out. Essentially, I am saying do Crossfit without paying the money to go to a Crossfit gym.

Supplements are a lot like cigars, like what you take and take what you like, insofar you can end up spending a lot of money on them. IMHO, stick with Protein and Creatine Monohydrate. If money were no object I would say try them all out, but that isn't really and option for most people. Creatine has solid science behind it to prove that it works. I've read different places that there is no need to do the loading phase, YMMV. Skip the Kool-aid add ins, eat a yogurt or drink some grape juice if you want to spike your insulin levels to promote better uptake. Tribulus is a 2 step precursor to testosterone, so basically it needs to turn into something else that may or may not turn into something else ??? On a tight budget I would prefer to get a raging hard on from Gary's links instead of a costly supplement.

I don't know what sort of protein you are using or how you are mixing it but, no offense, you're doing it wrong. I buy EAS from Sam's Club/Costco for like $32 for 5lbs of vanilla. Put it ice in a blender and crush it. Add 2 scoops of protein and 1/2 cup of No Sugar-added Applesauce. Pulses 5 times, and then mix for 15 seconds and enjoy.