• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

"to Kill People and Break things"

Gunpowder

Cigar Search & destroy V 1.20
With all the military guys on here I thought you may know...

Who is the original source of the quote: 'the purpose of military is to kill people and break things"?

I know Rush Limbaugh has used the phrase periodically but I assume it has an earlier source.

I'm not sure if there's a known original source or not... it's a pretty common expression. I prefer the variation, "kill bad guys and break their sh!t."

I have no idea. Besides, I was a "Death Cheater", not a warrior. If anyone here knows, it's probably Ray.

Doc

I have heard that it was first uttered by an unknown U.S. Marine Drill Instructor. I think it might have been in reference to the military being deployed to do other tasks than fight wars.
I don't know that I agree with the part about them being only good at destruction. I have seen too many examples of how organized and efficient they can be.

I have heard that it was first uttered by an unknown U.S. Marine Drill Instructor. I think it might have been in reference to the military being deployed to do other tasks than fight wars.
I don't know that I agree with the part about them being only good at destruction. I have seen too many examples of how organized and efficient they can be.

Yes, we're efficiently organized at killing and breaking things.

Yes, we're efficiently organized at killing and breaking things.

That made me laugh out loud! Semper Fi.

Rush actually said: The purpose of war is to kill people and break things. Which AFAIK is a variation of: The purpose of the Army is to kill the enemy and break their will. (MG Leonard Wood?) Which is a turn of a phrase from General Carl von Clausewitz:
War is an act of violence intended to compel our opponent to fulfill our will